Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

Avilister
The Mitten King

Wiki Discussion

Post by Avilister »

I'm creating this thread to further discussion of wiki development and troubleshooting.

Here are some useful links for this topic.
A link to the wiki
A link to Wikipedia help.

First I'd like to suggest the use of the preview changes button, because holy crap that was a lot of edits. I'm looking over the infobox now to see what the deal with the images are. You're on the right track though. An info box is an abstracted table that has to be customized for any given use. This will require creating a custom info box for each intended utilization. We should probably come up with a standardized naming convention so that we can easily find infoboxes that have already been created.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Actually, I think I've found a way to make just one template, for example "Character" and then make it so that we can just modify the template to accommodate additional games. I'm going to experiment a bit and then post again.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

*Hugs Steven*
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Ok, doing what I mentioned above will require me finding and isntalling the parser that will allow us to use conditional statements inside of an infobox. This will, however, allow us to create as many fields as we want for a given template and then only actually use the ones we need for a given page. I have made some revisions to the GURPforge character template and then applied it to my character's page as an example.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

As a note, template use is not limited to infoboxes. We can also use them to standardize the display for character stats. I'll see what I can do about putting a few together to illustrate what I mean. If I can get the conditional stuff to work, this'll be even better, as we'll be able to have a single template for oWoD+Exalted, another for nWoD, one for GURPs (not just GURPforge, but any game we use with that system) and be able to use it for any character created with that system.

For example, if a nWoD character doesn't have a Blood Potency (ie, not a vampire), we can just not list it and the conditional template would not display that stat.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I tried using yours as a model. Damn infobox won't scoot over and drop down.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

Post by Guardiankrillin »

I made the initial infobox durden no hugs to me? :cry:
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

*Firm handshake and a pat on the back to Mike*
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Positioning the infobox is a bit of a pain. It needs to be placed inside a table and then forced to an alignment. I did it as follows

Code: Select all

{| align=left/right/center (also available valign=top/bottom/center)
|{Infobox blah blah blah
|
|somestuff=other things
|}
|}
In the case of your's, Chris, I have added a single character to fix it. The line the Infobox statement is on needs to start with a | because it is a new line in the table.

Per wikisyntax {| starts a table and |} ends it. Rows of a table are seperate with a |- and different cells within a single row are seperted with ||

Example:

Code: Select all

{|valign=top align=center
|1||2||3
|-
|4||5||6
|}
Would show a small 6 cell table with two rows of three characters each centered at the top of the screen.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Glorious. Now we need WoD templates.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

I can try while at work between calls
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Calls? Where you working?

And it's good you can get something productive done at work.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

Same place Jason works
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

You poor bastards. I might need a job soon, if I can't score one of these I'm applying for in the next few weeks.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

gurps, nwod, owod, marvel, feng shui, dd 3.5, dd 4.0,

nwod/owod need all the supernatural stats, with the ability to go away if not used. ex: wyrd, bp, gnosis all need to be there as potential boxes, and should be close together so that they take up the same box.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982