Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Circle of the Crone and Lancea Sanctum rituals can both be approximated with some amount of Thaum. Perhaps only allowing access to the rituals it describes instead of path magic? Certainly only very specific paths would fit into their paradigms if paths are allowed at all.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

So... owod clans open? With no Cam/Sab limits?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

looks like it. i think this could be really fun, using covenants instead of cam/sabbat. the old clans have so much more flavor than the new, but the covenants are so much better for politics.

i wanna be a brujah i think, btw. Carthian or Ordo.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
so, zach, after much thought, here is my two cents: playing mix & match with the two systems is a pain in everyone's ass. i tried it when i converted the summer game, i thought about ways of combining stuff even more before i decided on the rules i was going with. it all sucked.

the only thing that seems compatible is the combat resolution system, and that only barely. owod clans result in disciplines that were not revised coming into play, which in turn means attributes that don't exist in nwod will be used for activation rolls. fort/pot/cel all interact differently within nwod, and only the nwod versions are compatible with the revised combat system. and honestly, the changes they made to celerity turned it from offense to defense, changing the flavor of the clans that have it entirely.

so, my advice: stick with one system or the other. though i like the nwod system, and would love it if the fuckers at WW had made it possible to convert the old stuff over, it just doesn't work right.

that said, if you think of a cool way to make it all work, that would be fantastic.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

do you need a forum?

Ivanovich
Lost Knight

Post by Ivanovich »

not at this moment, i am still working on stuff.

after consideration i think i will just stick to the nwod system. i like the political elements to it more than i do the old cam/sab system.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

so, 5 clans and 5 covenants and bloodlines and the nwod system mechs?

Ivanovich
Lost Knight

Post by Ivanovich »

yea, i am going to look at the character creation process some because i know that i do not want you to start as base characters. I am not sure exactly how powerful i want you all to be yet.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

200-400xp creates minor badass, lol.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

nWoD hates anyone being cool :P
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
/miss old wod clans

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

rydi wrote::( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
/miss old wod clans
Seconded for the most part. Still vote for oWoD clans with covenants instead of stupid cam/sabbat. Conversion of convenant-specific benefits is relatively easy compared to wholesale discipline conversion.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Avilister wrote:
rydi wrote::( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
/miss old wod clans
Seconded for the most part. Still vote for oWoD clans with covenants instead of stupid cam/sabbat. Conversion of convenant-specific benefits is relatively easy compared to wholesale discipline conversion.
yeah.

Ivanovich
Lost Knight

Post by Ivanovich »

Well since people seem rather interested in my idea, we can go with it. i would appreciate help in figuring out how to make the covenants with special disciplines/rituals continue to have something unique
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i'm not sure. One way is just to say that certain thaum paths are open to each covenant, or that rituals are available only to the covenants while thaum remains a discipline.

Thaum was always weird and overpowered in the old system. I guess you could just omit clan tremere.

you could also limit what is open to a given clan/individual as far as different paths.

And of course their are variations on all of the above. not really sure what is best. Steven? Chris? Weasels?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I don't personally consider Thaum to be overpowered - strong, certainly, but there should be a lot of restrictions on Clan Tremere to begin with that help to balance it. In many instances those do not come in to play.

As for implimenting rituals for Covenants, many are - word for word - taken directly from Thaum. Allow access to those rituals as they're printed in oWoD (they often/always have the same names). I'd say that they'd probably not have access to path magic though. Maybe that warrants a price break? I dunno, probably depends on whether there is a PC Tremere.

Coils of the Dragon are pretty easy to convert over for the most part. "Only take bashing damage from sunlight during dusk and dawn." Ok, that was easy. It didn't even require doing anything. "I gain 3 BP for every 2 that I drink." Again, simple, no work needed.

Some Clans should probably be pretty restrictive with the Covenants they'll allow their members to join. Tremere and Giovanni, in particular, may not allow their members to join any others. If they do, it'd probably almost exclusively be the Invictus (particularly for the Tremere).