In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
adam
Lost Knight

D&D 3.X: Spear of Fate - Vala's Journal

Post by adam »

It has been a few days since I arrived to Tarn, only to find it looted and everyone dead.

When were close to Tarn we could tell that something was wrong. One of the farms had been attacked and the old man who lived there was dead. The tracks that Aurelleyon found indicated that it was a large mounted group of men who attacked. On the horizon we could see smoke coming from the direction of Tarn. We rushed over to Tarn and found that it was devastated, bodies were lying in the street and Tarn was looted of its valuables. The stone which had the Mythal that protects this Realm from the outer realms was also destroyed.

That night after we got through burning the dead, a trio of travelers appeared. An older man a woman and a young child came from the south, away from the direction that the invaders came and went. They seemed to have alot of knowledge about Mythal, eventually revealing themselves to us as representatives of 3 gods. The gods that they represented are; Olidammara, Wee Jas and Fharlanghn. The travelers eventually gave thier blessing (not really sure if that blessing is just words or something more) for us to find the ones who brought down Tarn and wanting to bring destruction to the world at large.

The last few days have been hard because of the relentless pursuit by the men who attacked Tarn. We have been attacked a few times, some of us have been wounded. Kore has been healing us when we get hurt (of course not me, only my death tainted powers can heal me).

I haven't listed who has been traveling with me yet. Kore I have known for a while, he is a strange dwarf who prefers the natural order of things rather than the created way that most dwarfs do. Aurelleyon is an elf that like Kore is at home in the woods. Ballen I don't know well, but he is a very good fighter. Otho is one of the many Northfarthing kids, not really sure I know to much about him, all of his clan look the same to me. Iden is the last of our small group, he is an Orc bard, his stories are very entertaining.
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

We finally arrived at a Mauldovian town. For those of us who are not well traveled, the lack of amenities in Tarn that we have taken for granted are not here. There is no running water, the surrounding area does not have Druids that care for it, and the humans are much more hostile to the non-humans. This is what we will have to learn to live with now that our homeland was destroyed and it's peoples either killed or taken as slaves.

We found a fairly decent inn, and we have rented two rooms. I started to talk to the guards of the caravans that are also staying at this inn, and I found out that a large shipment of slaves has recently been through town. It seems that a few were sold off here at the town, but the rest were taken away to different markets. The next auction for the slaves is going to be held this afternoon. I could not find out how many if any of our fellow Tarnish were to be auctioned, but I knew that we would have to find out and set them free. The group got into a heated discussion about how to go about and freeing our people. Some wanted to set a fire, but I and a few others did not think that was a good plan. It would cause more trouble, and we could not guarantee that the slavers would help put out the fire. We eventually decided that we should purchase them. But our gold reserves are not that large so Iden used his bard talents to ensure that our people would not be bid up. The first up was old man horse keeper. He was being sold by the largest slaver in town. Next up was six young women that were being auctioned off by a group of sordid looking mercenaries. We managed to purchase all of them and set back to the inn.

At the inn we talked to the once slaves to find out more about how they became captured, and where the other Tarnish were sent. We found out that two other Tarnish were sold in town, a orc barrel maker and a halfling gardener. The orc was sold to the United Transportation Service, Otho and Iden managed to let us purchase the orcs freedom in exchange for doing some odd jobs for the UTS. The halfling was sold Lord Hofstede to tend his gardens. I purchased a nice dress and put on a crest of a minor Mauldovian Noble and I went by the name of Rose Greymere. I managed to get the halfing gardener free by playing the part of a noble and complementing the old lord about how good is garden is and what a chore it is too find good servants. The cost of the halfing was 300 gold and a night at a Ball with the old man.

The young women that were with the mercenaries shared stories of how they were treated by the mercenaries. They were used as trophies, given to them by a House in ______ that apparently funded the destruction of Tarn. The mercenaries deserve to be punished for what they did to the women and also to Tarn. Aurelleyon found out what inn they are staying in, it is a high class establishment with lots of drinking and gambling. The plan to get our revenge involves me gaining their trust and poisoning their drinks, waiting until they return to their rooms before giving a signal to the rest of my group. The plan went well, we managed to kill them and I don't think that we were found out.

During the time that I was getting revenge upon the mercenaries, Ballen and Iden stayed with our rescued Tarn folks. They were attacked, I do not know by whom, but Ballen was accused by the idiotic guards of trying to kill the women. So know we have to get Ballen out of prison before we can leave this town and continue on our way.
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

In order to get Ballen out of jail, I dressed up as Lady Rose Greymere. While talking to the captain of the guards, I failed to convince the captain that Ballen was my bodyguard and that he did no wrong. The captain ended up arresting me, so I had to get help from Lord Hofstede. It took a few hours for Kore to send word to Lord Hofstede and for Lord Hofstede to show up. Lord Hofstede showing up was a big surpise to the Captain. I do not think that the Captain will be holding his job for much longer. Ballen and I where released quickly, and we managed to get all of our possessions that were taken by the guards.

We ended up staying a few days before we left to go east. There were a few purchases that we needed to make before embarking on such a long trip with many more people than we arrived with. Without any further incidents we left town.

The traveling performs in town left about the same time that we did. Both of us are headed in the same direction so we ended up traveling together. After a few small towns, the traveling performers were ambushed by many armed bandits. Our group was traveling about 1/4 mile behind when we saw the attack occur. Since we were not about to let the bandits attack us next, we rushed ahead and started to help the defense of the caravan. The bandits were quickly dispatched with no losses to us, and a few injuries and lost horses/wagons on the side of the performers. To show their gratitude, we were given a trinket to show to travelers that might enable us to show that we are trustworthy.

It seems that the further east we head, the more dissarrey the locals are. There seems to be something big brewing, some sort of conflict about to happen or someone trying to incite panic into the locals.
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

We arived at Sutulak, a city of slavers. The first thing that we did when we arrived in the city was complete our delivery for UTS. The package was for a wizard named Druther, who runs a spell for hire shop. Druther told us some of what is happening in Sutulak. The city is going into decline, the local Governer Hoggel is funneling money away from supporting the infrastructure of Sutulak. The city guards are more interested in protecting the slaver guilds than the local people.

On the way to our camp site outside of town, we saw a young girl being harassed by the guards. Ballen, Otho and Iden took it upon themselves to come to the defense of the girl. The guard was not amused by their attempt to stop him, so he attacked them. The guards were knocked unconscious, a few more arrived and they also were dealt with. The girl lead us away from the area into the ghetto. She led us to a building, and that building turned out to be the headquarters of a local thieves guild. The thieves guild has a rob from the rich, give to the poor mentality that enables them to hide and operate within the poor parts of town.

The head of the thieves guild was impressed with our fighting prowess, and offered to let us go on a job with them. The job is to attack one of the local slaver houses and take treasures within. The thieves guild leader is fighting the slavers and the corrupt government so that he and his people will have a better life within Sutulak. That is the reason why they want to take on a slaver house, so they can get money and cause disruption by releasing the slaves. This is a perfect opportunity for us so that we can get any of the Tarnsmen that are being sold by this slaver house.

In order to scout the slaver house, Kore used his ability to turn into animals and turned into a bird and scouted the house from the air. The slaver house is a large compound, surrounded by walls 15 high. Their are many slaves kept within the walls behind the main building. Men and dogs patrol the slaver house and it's surrounding areas. Otho and I went into the slaver house, me dressed as Rose Greymere, and Otho as my slave that I wanted to sell. Inside the house they keep more slaves, they are the more expensive higher trained slaves. In exchange for Otho, I freed an older gentlemen of Tarn.

For the attack upon the slaver house, the thieves guild created a distraction so that the city guards would be occupied far away from the slaver house. Otho waited untill he heard a call, and he got the slaves ready to go and started fighting the guards. Aurelleyon scaled the wall and fired his bow upon the guards, and the rest of us came through a side gate. Atop the house was archers, a wizard, and a manticore. The manticore and the wizard I took care of by blinding them with necrotic magic, the guards and dogs were taken care of by everyone else.

When we arrived into the courtyard, we were attacked by another wizard. He was standing atop a tower. I managed to blind him, but he dispelled my spell, then ran away. Ballen and Kore stormed the interior of the main house. Me, Otho and Iden freed the slaves outside. Aurelleyon kept the archers buisy so that the slaves could get free of the compound, but Aurelleyon was injured during the fight, he was full of holes.

After freeing the slaves outside and on the first floor of the house, everyone went up to the second floor. There the archers and I believe to be the head slavers were there, ready to ambush us. Iden managed to disguise himself as one of the guards and walk into the room before the rest of us. Once inside he positioned himself to cast a sleep spell upon some of the archers once we entered the room. Otho charged inside, deflecting the arrows that were shot at him. Otho attack a man that wielded two blades, but Otho was magically held in place by a wizard further back in the room. Ballen ran up to the man with two blades, and showed him that Ballens two blades were superior. The rest did not last long once the man with two blades was down.

Inside that room we found a vault, we took lots of jewels and art from the vault. By the time we cleared the vault the city guard had arrived, we fled within the tunnels underneath the slavers house.
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

Winter is coming.