rydi
Site Admin

AMBER

Post by rydi »

Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I will post the general character creation i am going with soon. I can say everyone should be a thinking of a character archtype they want, and 2 positive and 1 negative decriptive words they want to define their character.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

The numbers for character creation: 130pts and a 5 badstuff limit. I would prefer no one be from the choas courts, and I reserve the right to veto characters without a Amber parent.

Auction details: we will hold an acution on a saturday. The 1st round will be silent, either writing your bid, or skype. After that 1st will be anounced, and people will verbally bid.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I wanted to post power cost so people have an idea of what things cost.

Pattern imprint 50pts
Logrus mastery 45pts (this power requires shapeshift)
Trump aristry 40pts
Shapeshift 35pts

These are forms of magic
Power word 10pts
Sorcery 15pts
Conjuration 20pts

About stats/character creation
It was mentioned lightly, but in amber you start off in competition with all the other players for a stat ranking. All or most of the 1st game session is character creation. We do the bid to rank each memeber of this generation in the 4 stats psyche, strength, endurance, and warfare. The wiki covers what the stats do. These rankings are for the entire campain! After the bid there is a chance to play equal amount of points go up in rank, but you will always be ranked under people who openly bid. Example: if cheyne bid 30pts and got 2nd place to steven who bid 31pts on psyche, and now adam who bid 1pt during the auction wants to put 31pts in psyche he would be considered better than cheyne, but just under steven. If someone engages you in a stat they out rank you in they almost always auto win unless you change the stat of engagement. Turning a battle of raw str into a weapon fight is a good example of shifting from strength to warfare.

If you decide not to bid any points on a stat then you buy your stats down to add points. Your base level stat is amber level, but you can buy down to choas (+10pts) or human (+25pts). Being human on amything is likely the worst idea ever in this system. I gave people 30 more points so they do not have to buy down stats for points.

It is noted in the book per the system writer that everyone should buy pattern imprint, and that he would never lower his stats.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

What about Broken Pattern?

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I was not going to let it happen. I wanted to simplify things.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

If people could post character ideas it would be helpful to me.

I will post power decriptions later tonight.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

How urgent is it that we look at Amber stuff? I've got a lot of other crap to read and work on and I'm not really looking to rush getting characters made for 5 games at once when we won't play most of them until July or whatever.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Cheyne is really pushing me to get this done asap. I plan to get ready for a 3 game arch starting this month.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

One thing to consider is NOT reading a whole bunch for it, and just playing. The rules are simple, mostly descriptive. And the setting you can be guided through... more fun that way anyway.

Character concepts for this type of game can be limited to "My current life is Bob the mechanic with a wife and kids, but hey, come to think of it, I've never really been sick in my life. How odd..." Possibly with a dose of one's real self off to the side: "I'm really Bobarino, enduring and stalwart foe of chaos, and loyal guardian of reality. Opposed by my evil twin sister Jane, master of warfare."

Reading the entire system was what got us in trouble with Exalted imo.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

There is not a lot to read, and I am purposely using a tried and true story telling method for exploring a new world, Amnesia! Characters will think they are regular humans, and wake up to realize they amber princes. Life should be interesting taking a game session to deal with such a life changing realization, and deciding what to do with it.

Cheyne makes a great point. One of the reason I am asking for simply archtypes, and 3 descriptive works is to keep things on a conceptual level for now. I want people to think outside of the system mechanics. People should make characters that are fun to play, but also fun to interact with.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

everything has it's own cool factor, so there isn't a "bad" choice as far as powers go either.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I am for story purposes making you buy a 6pt background if you do not buy pattern imprint FYI! This makes it so you can get pattern imprint later, and makes you born from the Amber side of the universe. This also makes logrus cost 86pts total, and I do want to discourage logrus as a power.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

It looks like we are going to do the character creation this saturday btw.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Jason is sooo descriptive.

This weekend we are going to mostly hang out, maybe watch some movies, eat, play any board game that wants playing, and make characters. Not JUST make characters. But it is a good time to get it out of the way.

After this week we can start playing stuff.

Oh, if Paul is playing amber, he should put in a set bid for his stuff before hand.