In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
arete
Lost Knight

Exalted: Revelations-IC: Frozen Time

Post by arete »

On a lone island in the far, far West rests the Maiden of Time. She is a limestone statue of a young woman on her knees, hands cupped beneath her face. Tears drip slowly from her eyes into the bowl made by her hands. That cup overflowed long ago, and two salt-lined channels run down to the nearby shore and into the ocean.

To visit the Weeping Maiden, however, one must pass her guardian. Iwau Tamotsu, Watcher with Eyes of Stone, defends the ocean around the statue’s island and viciously attacks everything that comes near. Her guardian is a massive coral-reef behemoth, harder than steel, only vaguely human in shape and so large that it stands on the ocean floor while it destroys and devours intruders on the ocean’s surface. What the behemoth eats reappears, drowned and broken a thousand ways, on the shore of the Blessed Isle.

-------------------------------------------------
(I assume thos needs its own thread. Lets get this conversation started)

Zeeva assumingly along with everyone else heads to go see Time.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Adin goes now too...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

so... how are you guys getting there, and what did you plan on doing about the island's guardian?

once you arrive on the island, you see the statue that greeted you upon your arrival in the early first age. it is exactly as you remember it, unchanged by the passage of time.

for long moments after your arrival, nothing happens. but suddenly everything goes dark, and the surroundings change. the maidens, all 15 of them, are standing and tending the threads of fate. 5 sets of 3 maidens each hold threads of a given texture and color. The world is in balance... for now. but the maidens craft a subtle pattern into the fabric of fate, preparing for the day that they will betray their masters. looking at the pattern, you see their plan.

in the fall of the primordials, the nascent underworld will grow, taking on new life as the primordials will shapes it. this place will need to be connected to creation, and guided, if creation is not to be pulled out of balance by the forces of oblivion. 5 Maidens will rule this dark realm, while 10 remain in within creation, with their links to one another serving to tie the two worlds.

again the scene changes, as the servants of the maidens do battle with the primordial rulers of creation. 5 of the maidens, and all of their chosen, die in a fire, the green flames of ligier consuming them. The remaining maidens are lessened by the loss of their sisters, as is creation; whole concepts snarl and change, as the remaining maidens struggle to keep creation from unraveling during the primordial war, now with far less aid in their struggle.

As the war draws to a close, the scene shifts again, this time to a secret meeting between those who were to first guide the fate of the underworld. they realize that by taking on the fate of the underworld, they might find themselves tied to that place, unable to return. further, they realize that certain concepts... are difficult for creation, now that the primordials are gone. It would be far more simple if certain of their sisters were to pass into the underworld, their influence upon creation lost. Others could simply be imprisoned, bending their power to the use of the remaining sisters. And those that remained, free and in power, would never have to leave the games of divinity to rule in the underworld. Creation would perhaps be unbalanced by this, but would in time heal, and be stronger for it. The maidens could compensate for any imbalance, or so they felt at the time.

The scene shifts again, to the final moments of the primordial war. As all turn their eyes to the last epic struggles, the 4 of the maidens betray their sisters. The Maiden of Journeys cautioned that they wait, and discuss their plans more, in hopes of stalling the others, so they acted in secret without her. The Maiden of Serenity encased the Maiden of time (Twin of Journeys) in stone. The Maiden of secrets removed all knowledge of the Maiden of Beginnings (the twin sister of Endings), stripping her of her identity and sending her to wander as a vagabond. The maiden of Battles twisted the threads of fate into a snarl of conflicting truths before killing the Maiden of Truth (twin sister of Secrets) in battle. The Maiden of Endings snarled the threads of fate, connecting all, so that none were free, then killed the maiden of Freedom after showing her that only in death could freedom be found. The final Maiden, her purpose lost, was sent beyond fate by the Maiden of Journeys, to save her, and make amends for her failure to protect her sister Time.

The chosen of the Lost Maidens were not stripped of their power during this time, and fought back. But the betrayal was so unexpected that they had little chance, and their struggle appeared to many to represent a change in allegiance to the side of the primordials. The chosen of the Lost were hunted down, and their exaltations imprisoned by the remaining maidens. Then, the memory of this event was erased from heaven, and eased from the minds of those still living by the combined will of the Maidens of Serenity, Endings, and Secrets.

The scene shifts back to the present day. All of creation is out of balance. There are not enough exalted to shift the tide of darkness, corruption, and chaos. The land of the dead pulls on creation, and the weaknesses left by the absence of the lost Maidens are holes exploited by the enemies of creation.

The lost maidens cannot return to what they once were. But they can become something different that what they now are.

If Time can be reunited with her sister, and then killed, she will forge a link between creation and the underworld. Her ghost would bring greater order to the land of the dead, and bring the underworld into fate, if only a bit. If the other lost maidens could be found and killed this connection could be strengthened. If the sisters of Freedom and Truth could be forced to reconnect with their murdered twins then that too would strengthen the connection. finally, if the poles could somehow be joined by manses that exist in both worlds, the connection would be strengthened.

Were the two worlds connected, the underworld would be a part of fate. The principles that the lost maidens represent would become Lesser Principles within creation, while the principles that the current maidens represent would be Lesser Principles within the underworld. Creation would be strengthened, though the touch of death would also be closer to creation. The sway of the neverborn could be held at bay by the combined power of the lost maidens, and the deathlords could be fought, though to fully accomplish the last, one would also have to release the Lost Exaltations as well...
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Questions?

For clarification, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to:
Unite the Maiden of Time with the Maiden of Journeys, and then kill the Maiden of Time.
Find and release the lost exaltations.
Find and kill the Maiden of Beginnings.
Find and kill the Maiden of X.
Reunite the dead Maidens and their living sisters.
Forge manses at the poles of creation that exist in both the underworld and creation, to connect the two.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

As far as fighting the guardian goes, I'll power up and fight it one-on-one. I could probably win. If anyone helps, that's peachy but probably not necessary if I'm totally buffed up :P.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Zeeva "woah...so is this something we want to do? "
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I would help in the fight but i do not want to kill. I figured I would fly out there.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

OOC: Just checked its stats, I could totally subdue it, probably any one of us could. I edited the first post in the thread to include the relevant setting from the book in case anyone forgot where we're going.

IC: Aizan frowns. "I am not keen on killing Incarna. Planned or not."
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OOC: What is the Guardian anyways? I had planned on flying there on Blue. As for the rest of it...this is quite the mission.

"Well what do you think about this "mission"? I think that we should strive to accomplish it. We have seen Creation shrinking to the Wyld and becoming infected with Shadowlands. If this could strengthen it, then I think that we have a duty to attempt at this plan.

Any ideas on how we can accomplish this? We need to try to find information that the Maidens themselves hid. We need to speak with Truth. If anyone could help us find the information that we need, I think that it is her."
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

"We would be killing Incarnae that no longer have a place in Creation. The Maidens that we would have to might as well be dead already."
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"I question the wisdom of trying to pull Creation closer to the Underworld as well. The Underworld was not originally part of The Plan, and I'm not sure that pulling it closer to Creation through any means would be better for Creation's denizens."
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

amari:
"if the vision was accurate, then the underworld was there before they even died, or at least the void was. The neverborn just gave it shape. I can see the benefit to both having the underworld within fate, and having it ruled by these other maidens instead of the neverborn. But, that said, I too am unsure what the proximity of the underworld would do to creation, and whether it is worth it. Our sponsors that gifted us with all this power seem to think it is a good idea, but we are still ultimately free to choose.

What did you think about the Lesser Principles being more fully integrated into creation, and freeing the exaltations?"

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

"Nothing has gone according to The Plan, the Primordials struck a final blow before they lost the war, that has plagued all of Creation from that time forward. The Maidens had a Plan that they were going to emplement before the 5 living Maidens betrayed the others. The Incarnae weren't supposed to become so preoccupied with the Games of Divinity that they virtually abandoned us. The Solars were supposed to stay imprisoned so that the Dragon-blooded could rule Creation to keep it safe from the Mad Kings. Nothing has gone according to Plan, and we have seen the consequences. Something needs to be done, and it should be us after all that we have experienced and all that we know. If you have a better solution to the threats attacking Creation let's hear it. I am open to suggestions, but I think that this solution has merit."
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

"I think that it would do Creation a world of good to have Truth, Freedom, Time, and the rest of them as Lesser Principals. As for freeing the remaining Exaltations....I don't know. We don't know the form that they will take or how their Maidens will guide them. We just don't have enough information."
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"Any other Exaltations are wildcards at this point. Things are already chaotic enough as it is, I'm against putting any more into play. There are already over 700 Celestial Exalted running around, we don't really need more to have to deal with.

"While I can definately acknowledge the benefit of having the Underworld affected by fate, it might have unforeseeable consequences. What if all of the shadowlands grow because of the Underworld's nearer metaphysical proximity? What if everyone that dies becomes a ghost instead of only the tiny fraction that do now?

"Its all well and good to see the benefits, but in any sort of situation like this, there are going to be drawbacks as well. I advise strongly against making any decisions here and now, particularly without considering the ramifications of making such fundamental changes to the face of Creation. Its one thing to muck about with the political geography, its quite another to muck about with the metaphysical geography. Quite another indeed.