In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Two things.

The first is the fluffy writeup stuff for the Lost Castes written by one of the follow players in my Exalted:WoD game: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=414456 Note that anything omitted here is in the book's sidebar (including the vast majority of the actual mechanical stuff). This is not canon, she's just really bored.

Next, a link to the House Rules, specifically the section regarding Familiars:
http://www.lostknightsrpg.org/wiki/inde ... s#Familiar
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

For now we can use the alternate rules, but i reserve the right to nerf the familiar if it gets out of hand.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I found the alternate rules, here they are.

2 Caste Attributes, 2 Favored Attributes (instead of 3 Caste, 1 Favored).
9/7/5 Attributes (instead of 8/6/4) + the bonus dot in a caste/favored attribute.
28 Ability dots (instead of 25).
7 Charms (4 must be Caste/Favored).
3 Knacks.
Backgrounds cost no more than they do for Solars.

Knacks cost 8xp (instead of 11xp).

^ Character Creation by Charm creator for MoEP: Lunars. The published version is heavily nerfed.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

hmm those rules are definitely interesting. I am going to heavily consider using them.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

makes for a much better character. i looked at the diffs between the two, and really these rules make lunars playable, and lets them not fall totally behind a solar.

and just fyi, i finally understand why lunars get outclassed by solars: the character creation screws them and all their requirements are at least +1 essence and attribute requirements over what a solar needs.

the math goes something like this:
solars can get most of their charms at essence 2-3. at most this = 16xp
solars can get their charm skill prereqs off of base character creation, and need only 3-4 in a given skill. = 0xp per skill
charms = 8

lunars get most charms at essence 3-4 (and more at 5 than solars by far). =18xp
lunars get only a couple of charm attribute prereqs taken care of at char creation, and have to get most of them up to 4-5. avg = 12-16 per attribute
charms = 10

so, when we total out what it takes to get a single charm in a given area, we get a total of 24 for solars and 40-46 for lunars. this difference is mitigated somewhat by the fact that lunar charms are condensed into only 9 trees, but these almost entirely require excellencies, and they often have extra steps (perfect dodge = 5 charms vs 2 charms for solars; god cutting attack =4 charms for lunars but only =2 for solars; etc).

add to this difference the fact that dice pools are necessarily smaller due to skills that are effectively capped at 3, and the lower dice adder cap, and there is a significant difference in power. any build that attempts to equal solars is going to be, by nature, extremely focused, min/maxed, and lacking in generalized usefulness (i.e. paul's godzilla). this is, oddly, the exact opposite of what i thought about lunars at the start (since their excellencies are so versatile), but even though lunars are alot better than Dragonblooded, they fall way short of solars, even at the start.

the above rules mitigate some of this by adding a few more skills, and 3 more attribute points. the atts are the most important part, as they not only up the avg dice pool up into the competitive range, but they also take care of some of the xp difference by eliminating the need to buy prereq attributes in game.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

YAY!!!!! Finally someone understands! This is the reason that my Godzilla IS so focused. It's difficult to make a generalist Lunar, that's not what they seem to be made for. They also need quite a few exp. It seems like the most effecient thing that you can do is make a combatant and use gifts and lunar fury, or take a huge ass spirit animal and mutations
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yeah. in comparison to a normal character, or even low lvl supernaturals, lunars are pretty awesome, and that comparison, plus the way their gifts look on the surface, make one think they are awesome at everything.

but the costs, plus the higher reqs and lower number of starting charms make it hard to do anything exceptionally well. and when you consider all the details, like needing perfects for defense, multi action charms, a form of unnatural mental influence for social, etc... well, they just can't do everything, and their max dice pools, due to skills, are only slightly higher than un-augmented solars.

really, as you said, the best thing you can do is focus, and they end up being really great for mutations, because they get to lock them in place with their tattoos. then combine that with a super spirit shape and some good knacks... and rage through tokyo smashing buildings.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Seeing the creation was disappointing in some ways. I love exalted as a concept, but it needs work.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yeah. you should try the xp system and see what you come up with. i'm still undecided on it.

the alt lunar creation seems to shore up many of the flaws.

the general flaws in exalted may not be sovable though. people will always take at least their combat ability to 5+3, and will min/max their attributes. the starting xp system prevents starting 1's, but it is still going to be 5's and 2's. all over the place.

and you still have some wierdness with other stuff. may have to just live with the problems... dunno.

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

is this happening at some pt, or did i spend a night making a character for no reason?

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I assuned it would run on saturdays every other off weekend from steven's game. I have notes and can run anytime except this weekend.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yet again:

Is this ever running?

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I was going to run till dani had a social event last weekend. I have also said we need a schedule. There are games currently running that I do not play in. I purpose steven run every other week w/zack and I switching off. I just need a date.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

is this running? or is the plot scrapped in favor of the Balance game?

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

This game cab be deleted. Balance will be getting all my effort.