In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Not a whole lot, really. Lower starting willpower based on virutes (max of 6)?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

someone tell me what charms to take. These are the ones i want, but i only get 10 :(

1st MA Excellency
Ravening Mouth of MA

Blood Scenting Hunger
Lunging Phantom Method
Shrouded Claw Attack
Leaping Horror Approach
Hungry Ghost Form
Unnatural Shambling Deftness
Scuttling Apparition Defense
Consuming Entropy Strike
Blood-Freezing Technique

Sensuous Torment
Kiss of the Whip
Laughing Wounds Form
Instructive Punishment Method
Brand of Obedience
Insatiable Slave Stamina
Ecstatic Tenacity
Rapture in Chains
Groveling Penitence Prana

1st War Excellency
Glorious Carnage Typhoon
Morale-Shattering Method
Arise and Slaughter

Scathing Cynic Attitude
Mystique-Spoiling Guess
Screaming in Silence
Insidious Undertone Trick
Soul-Snaring Tract

Socialize Excellency
Equisite Etiquette Style
Honey-Tongued Serpent Attack
Imprecation of Ill Manners
Bitter Sweetness of Betrayal
Cancerous Dissent Technique
Hate-Sowing Bitterness

Bureaucracy Excellency
Cunning Subversion Style
Caustic Hatred Diatribe
Eloquent Example Inspiration
Accursed Overlord Authority
Regime-Toppling Lord of Misrule
Iron Tyrant Reign (4)

Uncanny Impulse Evasion

1st Presence Excellency
Poisoning the Will
Dread Lord's Demeanor
Killing Words Technique
Sanity-Eroding Diatribe
Heartless Fiend Insinuation

Integrity Excellency
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Here's what I'm looking at picking up, just for reference. A few of these I may have to drop in order to fit in a Necro spell or two. Its a pretty tough choice though:

1st Performance Ex
Haunting Apparition Trick
Withering Phantasmagoria (critical to concept)
2nd Presence Ex
Dread Lord's Demeanor
Heart-Stopping Mien (important, but not critical)
Improvised Assassin's Trick
Crypt Bolt Attack (death lasers)
Spirit-Hardened Frame (only defense that isn't also social; see DLD/HSM)
Ox-Body Technique (compensates for the -1 health level lost to the Small flaw)
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

So many charms so little points. I almost don't want to buy e4 and use the extra charms and freebies for other stuff.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

sooooooo.... a little help here?

seriously, not sure what to do. the pain ma style has some conditioning/mental effects that can sub for some social charms, but still not sure where to spend all my charms...

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I will look over the list tonight, and give ya ideas. My charms are the following: 1st & 2nd tier necromancy/sorcery, 4 charms of dark messiah style (1st 8xp for the form type), and a perfect dodge.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Cheyne I would get the form type charm in Laughing Wounds Styles (3 charms), if you want put 2 more charms toward combat and get Ravening Mouth MA, Take 4-6 Charms in Bureaucracy, Socialize, or Presence. Then take Scathing Cynic Attitude.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

that sounds like a pretty good plan... thanks.

only thing i'm not sure on is whether i want to take a couple of the laughing wounds social conditioning things in place of social charms... actually, i'm also not sure on which path to take as far as my social skill...

as far as your list goes, i think you are pretty set. sucks you couldn't get a resistance perfect, but with a good dodge/parry you should be able to avoid all the little hits and save the perfect for the important stuff. i'm contemplating dodges myself... not sure what i'll do though. the laughing wounds style has a good damage absorption thing, but it is really superfluous with the resistance perfect... but since i don't have the res. perfect, it won't matter for a while. the perfect dodge would be easy for me to get, as i bumped my dodge up pretty high so that i'd have a good passive defense, but i would prefer to stick closer to concept and use those charm slots for social stuff.

steven, isn't there a raise dead perform/presence charm? that seems more in line with your char than necro really.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

No, there's not. There's a Performance charm to feed motes to ghosts and a Presence charm to forcably take control of mindless undead. There's a War charm that temporarily raises ghosts, but by default the only thing I have to raise the dead with is my anima banner. Necro is exceedingly apropriate, thematically, for almost all Midnight castes, despite it being in the Daybreak charmset.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

hmmm... you might see about making a new charm for performance... eh, just seems like heavy investment in occult and casting just to raise dead, when you could focus more on your other stuff. not that necro couldn't work, just seems better to do it with performance. songs that wake the dead and all... and exalted is more about making designer charms than other systems it seems. you could model it off of the war charm Arise and Slaughter or perhaps even mod a necro spell.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Except that I also want Occult for the 'See/attack dematerialized' stuff, Essence sight would also be nice, stuff like that. Its as much a utility option as anything. Plus I have nowhere else to really spend my other favored abilities.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

ah. if it is actually something you want, that makes sense. i just thought you wanted it for the necro.

for me it would be a total waste, as i plan on branching into hungry ghost eventually. and i don't have a single dot in daybreak skills.

speaking of which...

DID SOMEONE BUY INVESTIGATION?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

On another note, I think I may be leaning towards Linguistics, though duplicating some of the stuff there between three people may not make it as useful. The advantage in Athletics is that its a lot of charms that I won't have at character creation to get a discount on, and most of them are fairly useful. It also provides mobility that would be useful, as this character is certainly not a close-in combatant.

Incidentally, I will not be starting with any perfect defenses. Favoring dodge for this character is, frankly, retarded when I get Resistance for free, but the buy-in for the Resistance perfect is too high to make it practical at character creation. It'll be one of the first things I work towards (after upping a few 1's to 2's), but I won't be starting with it.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Yes, I think my Investigation is 4 or 5. I needed it for Social-Fu. This character is a social monster.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

and resistance has the benefit of a sort of 2in1 thing, as you respond to incoming damage, not the attack itself, negating the need for surprise anticipation method, or whatever its called.

and yeah, i personally like the athletics tree alot, esp for creepy girls. lifting tombstones, walking on walls, etc. i wanted some for EPR actually, esp raitons nimble perch (i think...), but the payoff just wasn't there.

I really hate that wod makes you choose between power and flavor so damned much.

hmm. i may avoid all but the defenses if linguistics is gonna be split that heavily. actually helps me though, as i need more focus. bur and soc, w/just enough pres for dread lord's demeanor line may be where i end up. and of course torturing people to do what i want with laughing wounds.