Generally general.

Moderator: Mods

Rusty
Lost Soul

feng shui based personality test

Post by Rusty »

I just made this because I'm a well adjusted human being who knows how best to spend his time. Take it for your test taking pleasure.

http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/hong-k ... ality-test
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

apparently I am a soulless asshole who has no virtue... I got Kung Fu Master a couple times then ended up with sidekick when changing things up... was looking to find a Duelist/Gun Master result... did you put one in??
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

The Everyman's Hero
"It's all in the reflexes."

You're just a regular guy in the wrong situation. There's been some kind of mistake! I'm not that guy! Well, apparently you are today, but luckily there's enough heavy, sharp, or hot stuff sitting around that you can stumble your way through just about anything. Whether you're driving a big rig through a brawl, shoving someones face into a toaster, or simply beating henchmen senseless with an old telephone you're perfectly at home, and full of american values and courage. Oh, and you'll probably get the girl
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

shock and amaze I got killer.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

For right now there's seven questions each with varying numbers of answers which each add to guns, fu, and virtue, though some subtract from virtue.

Currently there are:

Kung Fu Master
The Killer
The Hard Boiled Cop
Everyman's Hero
Sidekick

I'm thinking about what I learned from making it the first time, and what to add. I think a villian type might be necessary, and I've thought of some new questions to help flesh out exactly what a person should be, like opinions about guns, fu, and innocent bystanders.

I tested it out quite a bit, killer is the hardest one to get because it requires the highest skill level. (Guns greater than 8) and depends on a low virtue.

I'd take suggestions for other archetypes to add in. By increasing the number of questions I can put in a wider range of attribute levels, right now the skills each go from 0-13, except virtue which goes from -6 to 13. Yeah, the burning apartment building really doesn't help your virtue at all.

I had fun writing it and more fun taking it.

Feedback anyone? How can I improve it?
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

arete wrote:shock and amaze I got killer.
I realized as I wrote the words "PSG-1" that you would without fail always select that answer, also the jazz club and the 1000 dollar suit are dead Killer giveaways.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

hmm... i suggest perhaps a "smarts" or "cunning" sort of stat.

other archetypes include:
techie?
ninja
scrappy kid

could also split the young master / old master

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

hmm, a smarts attribute might be nice.

I was thinking a ninja, an ex special forces, a scrappy kid, a karate cop, and maybe something else. Basically I need to put in more questions to increase the spread of points, and have some more results. I thought about a few questions that rather pointedly define some aspect of the character. Like a "police" question the answers to which include or exclude police archetypes, and if included, then guns vs fu and virtue determine which cop. Ninja would be fu + low virture, scrappy kid would be fu + virtue + something about making trouble for adults, like a special answer to one or two questions.

I'd also like to have several sections to the quiz, basically character stat creation (very basic questions about preferences in weapons, fighting, and other things), then sample scenarios, like what is already there, and then a section that is a series of questions that tell a story arc. I'll have to look at the advanced settings and do some figurin to maybe find a way to use the stats derived from creation to compare against fixed difficulty values within the plot line to give a descriptive result of how a story went with the archetype data. This is doable by writing out various portions of the story with varying outcomes and using a success/failure result derived from comparison of what the character can do based on their stats and what they choose to do in the course of the scenes they are in. Maybe difference between skill level and difficulty is wounds? and a wound total above a certain amount results in a "dead" result?

that would make the quiz almost a game, a short, text based, moderately amusing game, but perhaps a replayable one?

It's really doable just a matter of putting it together on paper and making up neat questions and funny answers.

Also, by putting the quiz-taker's secretly derived skills to the test, we add a level of feedback and establish consistency, giving the quiz a bit more value. A character like the killer who gets wasted early on is only killed because the quiz-taker made choices inconsistent with what they initially chose. Suppose you answer all the funny guns questions, and then try to sucker punch the big bruiser. That puts some wounds on you, which have no effect unless you get too many and then you die.

I do want to keep a limited number of archetypes though, which would mean less copypasta and less work. But this is fun, both to make the test, decide what to do with it, and take it over and over.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yeah, it seemed fun.

if you split it up, you could actually do attributes as a differentiator (word?).

section 1
questions that determine body/refl/mind/chispiritwhatever, as well as weapon types.
break at this point based upon stats for certain generic archetypes (refl+mnd+guns group [killer, cops, etc], refl+bod+ma [martial artists], refl+mnd+whatever [journalist, scrappy kid, ninja, techie, etc), Etc.)

section 2
questions that determine virtue, and approach style.
archetypes groups would, at this point, break into specific archetypes
(virtue choices would differentiate maverick cops from regular cops and killers. Virtue and approach style would differentiate the young and old master. Etc.)

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

The way I've been assessing the answers is by weighting each answer choice with a score, and then setting the conditions of earning a given archetype in terms of each total. So, if Fu is the highest score, you're the Kung Fu Master, if Guns is like, 10 or better I think, you get the Killer, if Virtue is the highest you get Everyman, and I think the cop is Guns and virtue over 5 each, all others become a side kick.

Also, in order to put the quiz-taker through a scenario, skill values are more important than attribute values. If they have a guns of 10 and compare to a fixed difficulty of 8, then they succeed, if they have a guns of 7 and compare to a diff of 8, they fail. A particularly difficult answer choice based task might actually allow two different quiz-takers with the same archetype to succeed and fail separately.

Suppose the requirement to be a killer is a guns of 10, but a particularly heroic guns stunt in the last battle has a diff of 12, and the max guns is 13. A quiz taker who got all the guns questions maxed would succeed, but one who got only enough to qualify to be a killer would fail.

I want to put in a special archetype for an exact combination of answer choices that automatically saves the day in the best way possible: The Chosen One. so, one answer choice in each section will give +1 Chosen-ness, and if Chosen-ness is equal to the maximum that it can be, you are the chosen one. That's simple and might be funny.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

sounds interesting.

i've always wanted tests to be more inclusive of different considerations, and to take into account multiple factors. and including multiple factors makes it less likely someone will be able to guess out their archetype, thus the att+att+skill idea, then a second break at methodology/virtue.

but that may not even be possible. story thing sounds cool.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

The only way I can think of using attributes is by making them add in to all of the skills they would contribute to, otherwise it would become an extremely hard and error prone process to compare the values, there doesn't seem to be a way to add things together. It seems like all we really need are a few skills, but additional qualities beyond guns, fu, and virtue might be interesting.

We might have a question in which the character receives one unique benefit or skill at the expense of two others, such as a schtick equivalent, or luck, which might come into play in the story, or allow a specific answer choice in a scene to actually work. (like a luck based one).

Also, there won't be the ability to compute anything before all answers are in for the whole quiz, so the answer choices for each question or scene must be independent of the results of any die rolls.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Rusty wrote:The only way I can think of using attributes is by making them add in to all of the skills they would contribute to, otherwise it would become an extremely hard and error prone process to compare the values, there doesn't seem to be a way to add things together. It seems like all we really need are a few skills, but additional qualities beyond guns, fu, and virtue might be interesting.

We might have a question in which the character receives one unique benefit or skill at the expense of two others, such as a schtick equivalent, or luck, which might come into play in the story, or allow a specific answer choice in a scene to actually work. (like a luck based one).

Also, there won't be the ability to compute anything before all answers are in for the whole quiz, so the answer choices for each question or scene must be independent of the results of any die rolls.
1942 GET!!!!

(the quoted post is the 1942nd reply in this thread, and I made it, so I get the 1942 GET!!!!! woo hoo! someone post tits!)

/4chan/b/
//fark slashies
///end
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

Here's your tits

Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

sweeeet.

1942, a GET that will live in INFAMY!