In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Thael
Lost Knight

D&D: SoS - Castle Hirgaard

Post by Thael »

On the shores of a moderate sized lake north of the city proper stands Hirgaard Castle stark and solitary. It shows clearly the personality of the first family member to live here, which is the Lord Hirgaard who had it built. The surrounding country side is quite peaceful in appearance now but the clear cutting that was done generations ago still has yet to be undone since the shores are clear of vegetation for 100 yards, give or take. Those beaches are not completely bare however, since they now cater to some few fisher-folk and the simple huts they dwell in. Some residents fill up the space Surrounding the lake with their homes and businesses. Even extended family have setup manors in a lane near the bridge entrance to the castle itself with an unobstructed view of the family seat, some for vacationing and others as a primary domicile as suits them best.

The castle itself is a few hundred feet out into the lake and the only path is across the stone bridge for those walking or riding and a small dock near the kitchens for dealing with fishers and their wares. It is well known that the structure was erected first in a depressed field and afterwards a nearby river was diverted long enough to fill in the lake to its present condition. The seasonal rains and snow thaw flood the river enough that some runoff overruns into the diverted bed and replenishes the lake each year. This also carries in a small amount of aquatic life that re-invigorates the existing lake population and helps stave off the effects of fishing on such a small ecology.

An austere edifice with little in the way of decoration or ornamentation is still how onlookers still percieve the building itself despite recent attempts to soften it with banners, flags, and other dressings. With straight and simplistic exterior walls there are no windows except at the four towers that bulge out from the corners. The stone itself, used in both the bridge and castle itself, was cut and carried from nearby mountains that are still quarried today and exported. Many nearby structures benefit from the generations old traditions of the domains masons and quarry men and the stone they provide has proven sound in many episodes of history. As one would expect there is a drawbridge that can be raised, at a hefty 60 feet in length it looks quite small when raised and compared to the vastness of the walls themselves. Behind this are the majestic entrance doors, redesigned in recent years to be taller and more imposing. On the shore side of the bridge stands the Gatehouse. With 20 foot wooden doors, to allow supply carts passage, and a wooden portcullis it is sufficient to deal with any insurgents or bandits.

Once a guest is across the bridge and through tunnel you are able to see the inner courtyard and its usual trappings. Here the attempts at softening the overall feel of the Hirgaard seat is more apparent in the manicured trees and miscellaneous decorative vegetation. Off to each side are wooden structures that house a smithy, storage, and stables. Its original intent kept it small so visitors are not left lingering for long before being conducted into the castle proper and its entryway. Finally the resemblance to a home instead of a barracks has finally won out and comforts befitting nobility are in evidence. The entryway serves as a juncture to the 3 common areas. Directly ahead of the doors is the audience chamber where formal functions are performed and balls are held. On the left is the main stairs to the upper levels and living quarters for guests and family. Set beside this is the archway to the Dining Hall containing 1 table on a small raised platform and two longer tables that cover most of the depth of the hall between the archway and dias. For more private dinners it is rearranged for one table set centrally and entertainers perform on the dias. In the far coner is the door to a kitchen sufficient to serve meals for up to 200 with notice. The remaining direction is where most offical meetings are conducted with both visiting officials or the staff in the families' employ. A single large table at the far end, that is kept clear except for various maps that are stored nearby, is accompanied by several scrivner's desks for various record-keeping. Decorating the walls are a few tapestries depicting hunting or battle scenes dispaying that a man's tastes rule in this room.

Upon the upper floors of the castle there are a multitude of guest rooms and even suites in addtion to those of the family members living on the premises. Most of the rooms offer a simple key lock for privacy, and the keys are typically found on the interior of the door but can be used to lock in persons if needed, usually unruly children being punished. The ammenities are consistent with the rest of the ground floor if not more opulent and inviting.

Discreetly hidden on either side of the audience chamber are hallways leading the the left and right and turning away from the front of the building. No visible doors are found here since the majority of the ground floor is taken up by the other rooms. Each of these hallways lead to those areas that are sealed to prevent the lake flooding in. The stairs empty out at either end of the same hallway located about the center of the structure. Traveling the hallway will find a single door on one wall and a single archway directly across from it. The stout wooden door is heavily reinforced with steel and a series of locks line one side. Rumor amoung the servants tells that beyond here is the family crypt though none have been inside. The archway opens onto a storage chamber and armory. To the right there is a door on the wall at the end which, upon opening, contains a desk and chair of simple make. Lastly there is a second archway across from the first that leads to a hallway with numerous doors on each side. Those nearest the archway open on short hallways and then open into large rooms that appear to be the barracks for the armsmen. These are also the only doors without the locking mechanisms that adorn the rest. When opening the rest it is apparent they are cells for holding prisoners, meaning barely big enough to hold a straw pallet and a grime encrusted bucket.
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.