In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i am thinking of taking a more powerful manse, i have a story for its history.

should i take the hidden manse merit, or just take the manse creation stuff that makes it hidden (the one that makes it hidden from fate is particularly nice...). really, i just want to know which will make it more hidden.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

meh?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'll have to check at home, no books with me. The Compassion style is fine, btw, though you're probably going to generate a lot of resonence for learning it.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i know. it will be fun.

i compassionately heal you. then i blight your city. good times are had by all.

i took paragon of virtue. it reads a little oddly, as it says you have to have a paragon nature, however i figure an appropriate motivation and roleplaying in line w/the merit will work. expensive though. i spent 9 bp overall on virtues. meh.

for willpower, by RaW, it says to start w/will over 8 you have to have two virtues over 4. but since the opportunity to have a 6 in a virtue wasn't really factored into the equation, does that still hold? I have a 6 compassion, 3 temperance, so would i get 9? or do i just lose the extra point (i think i should get it, especially because it cost me alot, but it's up to you).

the manse thing is interesting. i didn't realize there was so much you could do with it. i was thinking about making my manse a hidden tomb of some hero/villain from the first age. geomancers of the empire didn't find it because it doesn't show up, but the village in the area knew about the old ruins and occassionally left offerings to the gods there. when a dragonblood general traveled past it, he literaly stumbled into it. He petitioned to have the village disenfranchised, and then raised it, thinking he would take the manse, and hide it from everyone that knew it existed, but he didn't bargain for an abyssal exalted that was rather unhappy at her dead town. after she offed him, my character wandered to the ruins and just kind of hung out there for a while, and bonded to it. i found my artifact there as well.

i was thinking you could make the manse a story hook as well. part of the reason it has the 'hidded from fate' trait could be that it hides some sort of dungeon beneath it. tombs of dead heroes and all that. currently the passage is barred by a big-ass door, but with the right key, it opens and... voila, instant adventure. i'll tell you more about the traits i have planned once i get it figured out.

my flaws are:
unusual appearance (deathly palor, glowing light blue eyes)
permanent caste mark
wanted (death of several dragon blooded and possible anathema)
secret (mentor, motivation, allies)
something i can't remember right now for 2pts

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

are there any rules for creating hearthstone abilities or a longer list of hearthstones other than what is in the core book...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yeah. sorcery book 3: oxxxxxx's codex, or something like that.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Oadenal :P
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

thought of some more ?'s for when u get home:

how will backgrounds be gained in game? xp, rp, what? how much do they cost in xp?

I may, if I can move some points around, take a 2pt artifact. if I do, I want the forcefield bracers out of the wonders of the first age book, since they give defense w/out armor, and have a hearthstone slot. it has a repair cost though; how will that work?

the manse ability that lets it teleport around is neat, but it says it is mostly on a schedule. I want to make it random w/the hearthstone as the key to finding it (as a defense mechanism). would that work?

and all the other stuff I already asked.

I'm a high maintenance player.

thael, any luck?

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

a question to those with access to said book... any in there worth having... I think I have decided to do one pc as wood aspected immaculate that has fled with an artifact of immense potential (based on point of view, its rating is only 3 dots)... and taking their relation (sib or cousin) with them... I REALLY like hearthstones as they are presented in this game and will need a stone for this item to function... there is one I could use easily but it is of medium interest and I hope to find one of high cool factor that fits in the story... details are still forming and I wont get much done tomorrow due to being out and about for half the day... but I plan on working on this tonight if possible and get some more details hammered out... pc 2 will likely be a water aspect MA with a terrestrial style and develop to a celestial style upon completion and maybe later an immaculate one too...
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

family on the run is always a fun hook.

yes, some of them are pretty good. though they really need to print more. didn't look @ the elemental stuff however.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

There are several stones that are very nice, even just one dot stones.

As for the invisible shield bracers that I can't remember the name of, any artifact with a repair cost will require maintenance, the requirements for which are outlined in either the Intro or first chapter of the same book. Alternately, if you take it at one more dot (3 in this case) it will function without the need for repair, as it will be a superior specimen that probably survived from the First Age, rather than being of Second Age manufactur (alternately, since yours would probably be made of Soulsteel, it'd be made by a Deathlord or Abyssal crafter).
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

here's a rough go at story

pc 1 is a wood aspected immaculate that is also a sorcerer-engineer in training (to make power-bows) and is manipulated into fleeing for his/her life by his/her instructor (that pesky manipulative siddie mentor, who will appear later in a new guise no doubt) and on confiding in said relative who was to be his/her armiger and was mastering terrestrial styles to be efficient in the removal of threats to her eventual charge (pc 2 is decided as female pc1 is undecided)...
My Color is Blue
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

The Siddie is looking to be more and more influential in everyone's backstories. Feel free to call him/her anything you want and have him/her do anything you need in your backstories. Resplindent Destinies ensure that he/she can appear to be anyone in almost in situtation needed.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

rydi wrote:should i take the hidden manse merit, or just take the manse creation stuff that makes it hidden (the one that makes it hidden from fate is particularly nice...). really, i just want to know which will make it more hidden.
The Hidden Manse merit will make it more hidden. The Outside Fate feature will still make the Manse physically findable without too much trouble (if they're looking for a Manse and are within a few miles).
rydi wrote:i took paragon of virtue. it reads a little oddly, as it says you have to have a paragon nature, however i figure an appropriate motivation and roleplaying in line w/the merit will work. expensive though. i spent 9 bp overall on virtues. meh.

for willpower, by RaW, it says to start w/will over 8 you have to have two virtues over 4. but since the opportunity to have a 6 in a virtue wasn't really factored into the equation, does that still hold? I have a 6 compassion, 3 temperance, so would i get 9? or do i just lose the extra point (i think i should get it, especially because it cost me alot, but it's up to you).
I'd say that with a Virtue at 6, you could qualify for Willpower greater than 8, yes.
rydi wrote:how will backgrounds be gained in game? xp, rp, what? how much do they cost in xp?
They'll be gained via RP. Some people have suggested that backgrounds will only get 'plot immunity' if paid for with exp, but I don't think I'm going to go that route.
rydi wrote:the manse ability that lets it teleport around is neat, but it says it is mostly on a schedule. I want to make it random w/the hearthstone as the key to finding it (as a defense mechanism). would that work?
I'd need some elaboration before I really say. Where'd you see this feature? I was glancing through and didn't find it. I did notice a hearthstone that teleported you to the Manse, but not a Manse that actually moved.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

alternate locations, 5pt ability, pg 78 of the codex.

so should i take Hidden Manse and outside fate, or does hidden manse cover that?