Your Creation may vary.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Exalted Primer Requests and Discussion

Post by Avilister »

Please do not post on the Exalted Primer thread, I will just delete it or move it here. This should suffice to talk about the Primer itself or ask questions.

If you'd like to request that I describe something, let me know here and I'll put it on my list of stuff to write about (or bump it up on the list, if its already on it).
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I would like to know more about charms. How they work? How many (guestimate) are there? Are they all combat abilities?

I've heard a lot about "perfect" defenses, attacks, soaks, and so on. What's the deal?

Also, can you tell me more about the different exalt types?

Can you tell us about "Creation" and what it encompasses?
rydi
Site Admin

Re: Exalted Primer Requests and Discussion

Post by rydi »

There are over 2000 charms. It is a stupid amount. It is better in 3rd ed only because they have not printed much material yet, but they actually made the system even more bloated in some ways.

Perfect attacks always hit their target, perfect defenses always defend, defense trumps offense. Since these are powered by "essence", the magic resource pool, health in 2nd ed is basically your magic pool. The 2.5 ed system revisions mitigated this somewhat, it's less about rocket tag early on, though late game it still ends up being a problem... but at least they made it so you can't endlessly refresh your essence pool, so combat will actually end.

Dragonblooded are weak but numerous elementally themed soldier exalts. Lunars are powerful shapeshifting exalts that focus on maximizing attribute scores. Solars and abyssals are the "most powerful" exalts, focused on maximizing abilities, and taking those abilities to supernatural heights of achievement; Solars are regal chosen of the sun, while abyssals are corrupted "mirrors" of the solar exalted who are enslaved to Death. Infernals are also corrupted solars, but their powers are focused on the concepts sacred to their patrons, the defeated primordials. Alchemical exalts are weak exalts that are basically communist transformer superheroes from a neighboring dimension. Sidereals are powerful hidden viziers who manipulate and enforce fate using confusing martial arts. Liminals are 3rd ed content so I don't know.

Creation encompasses reality, all the "normal" stuff you would expect in it (mountains, trees, people, violence, political alliances, etc.) and a bunch of stuff that you probably don't think of automatically (magical energy called "essence", cats engineered to heat a room and rhinos that shit magical gold, gods of various household appliances, etc.) Outside of creation there is also: yu-shan (heaven) where the gods hang out and fuck off instead of doing their jobs; malfeas, where yozi's and their demons were imprisoned after they lost against the gods and exalted; autocthonia, where the alchemicals come from, which is also the still (mostly) living primordial autocthon; the underworld, where dead stuff stagnates before it dies and the neverborn (primordials killed in the primordial war) plot to destroy everything; and the wyld, the primal chaos outside of shaped reality.

(It is important that questions are eventually answered. Even if they are 8 years old. Because if we don't answer questions, people lose faith in the system...)
Threading the Gerbil since 1982