If you'd like to see a new forum or category, or think there's something we need to change or remove, let us know here and we'll look in to it.
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I want to go too...

and the karate thing was really mental illness, not jail worthy... but then again, half our inmates are mentally ill. We have a great justice system.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

rydi wrote:I want to go too...

and the karate thing was really mental illness, not jail worthy... but then again, half our inmates are mentally ill. We have a great justice system.
Ditto.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I saw this too, and almost posted it.

I was siding with the parents until I heard that chemo has a 90% success rate w/this kind of cancer, and that they were a weird religious/homeophathic healing group. And that they had 8 kids. And that the "healer" has been convicted of fraud (not in itself horrible, but with all the rest...)

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I can see where people would side with the parents, sort of. Not really. There's a clearly outlined process for handling these sorts of problems and they want to go off and do some sort of unproven crazy-weird religious healing crap? Sorry, I don't buy it.

I love the part where they're just trying to respect their son's wishes or whatever, and then the court moves in and shows that he has little or no comprehension of his problem and, in fact, has a severe enough learning disability that he cannot read at age 13. Clearly this boy is not competent enough to make medical decisions for himself or anyone else, and his parents are basically idiots (and bad parents) as well if they're relying on the medical opinions of their incompetent son.

Edit: I suppose I have a strong opinion on this because my sister's life was saved via chemo treatment about three and a half years ago. *shrug*
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I concur.

Really, if the procedure were more in doubt, or the situation weren't screaming "nutty parents," I would probably be OK with their choice. But come on. It's not like they're just prolonging an inevitable death here, there's a very real likelihood of success, assuming the parents haven't already fucked it up.

While I do think there are probably answers to our health problems other than the FDA, drug companies, and the standard medical model, when a procedure has that high a success rate and the alternative is death... WTF?

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

On a similar topic to the first one, but more entertaining:

http://textsfromlastnight.com/
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

A follow up about the Sex Theme Park: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8054893.stm
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

:( sadness.

Taboos win again.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/health/dpg_h ... 19_2497179

"Caplan said the medical community recognized a person's right to refuse treatments — but those rights didn't extend to incompetent people or children."

As the previous article illustrated, this kid is both. The real gem is in the first paragraph:
"A 13-year-old boy's vow to resist chemotherapy by punching or kicking anyone who tries to force it on him will present doctors with a tough task if they can't change his mind."