For things not related to roleplaying, general discussion, or news.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

For those looking for some fitness/nutrition info, and who want some easy intro's to exercise: http://scoobysworkshop.com/custom-workout-plans/
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Fitness program: 4/21/14-5/23/14

Looking to ramp up intensity of training and try to eat really clean for the next 5 weeks, both to get in better shape and as a test of sorts. The plan follows, it's a actually only a 4 day lifting split (with special rules), with optional extra cardio days. I figure I'll post it here for easy reference. Note that the base workout is just a more frequent version of this, with much higher intensity: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea ... 631&page=1

Chris is going to accompany me on my journey. I figure S may join us for the lifting days (only 1 more day than normal, but fine if you aren't up for it), and not focus on the nutrition side of things. Not sure if anyone else is interested, mostly because I know people's nights are busy, but feel free to use the following on your own.

I'm aiming for a start of NO LATER than 7:30pm, though I'd be happy to start earlier. VERY happy.

WEIGHTS

ALL WORKOUTS:
Warm up 5-10 minutes light cardio

30-60 seconds of resistance cardio between EACH SET after squat/deadlift
Limit time between sets to 45-90 seconds if possible

List of acceptable cardio between sets: kettlebell swings, squat jump, box jump, lunges or lunge jumps, step ups w/knee raise, running in place, battling ropes, mountain climber, jump rope, cleans (DB or smith)

Go to failure only on the last set, endeavor to increase total reps until you can do 3-4 more than the goal range, then add more weight.

Follow workout with short cardio, but note that if you are busting ass doing the cardio between sets, you shouldn't need much. if you didn't bust ass, do more cardio. The idea is to save time.

Stretching might also be a good idea.

ROUTINE
Monday - Workout A1
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x8
Calf extensions 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset
Pushups (to failure) x2

Tuesday - Workout A2
Deadlift 3x5
OHP 3x5
Lat Pulldowns 2x8
Leg Curls 3x8
Crunches or situps 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset
Pullup (to failure) x2

Wednesday - Rest or Active Rest
Inactivity or light cardio

Thursday - Workout B1
Squat 3x10
Bench 3x10
Pendlay Rows 3x10
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf extensions 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Friday - Workout B2
Deadlift 3x5
OHP 3x10
Lat Pulldowns 2x10
Leg Curls 2x8
Crunches or situps 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset
Pullup (to failure) x2

Saturday - Rest or Active Rest
Inactivity, or Cardio, or HIIT

Sunday - Rest or Active Rest
Complete rest

DIET

Macronutrient Calories*
0.5g x lbs = Carbohydrates
0.5g x lbs = Fat
1.25g x lbs = protein
*You won't likely hit these totals exactly, they are just a guideline. Also, if you can't manage 0.5 carbs, at least aim below 1g/lb.

Sample calorie breakdown for 200 lb individual:
100g = 400 calories = Carbohydrates
100g = 900 calories = Fat
250g = 1000 calories = protein
At the activity level listed above, this will still result in a calorie deficit. For slightly more weight loss, you could reduce fat slightly (0.4g/lb), and probably afford a little less protein (but no less than 1g/lb of weight). Note that if you've been eating a starvation diet for a long time, this may not apply to you...

Patterns:

On lifting days, eat as listed above.

Rest days are cheat days; this means you can afford to vary a bit in the multiplier in the formulas above. For example, you want to give yourself some more carbs to regulate your body and prevent adaptation to the diet. HOWEVER, cheat day =/= splurge day. Calories should not increase by more than a few hundred calories, and you still need to eat your minimum protein.

Daily:
Start out the morning with high protein/fat meal before work. Take fish oil and multi-v.
Eat carbs/protein a few hours prior to workout.
OPTIONAL Pre-workout beverage 30 min prior to workout, with creatine
Water or BCAA/Electrolytes during workout.
Eat simple carbs immediately after workout, along with OPTIONAL creatine and/or post-workout.
Eat protein/fat as your last meal, limit carbs. Take fish oil.
Other meals as needed to hit macronutrient goals

Optional Supps:
Mutli-vitamin (centrum silver or knockoff)
Fish Oil morning/evening
Creatine pre/post workout
Pre-workout (bunch of junk, but focus is on the caffeine)
Post-workout (focus is on the sugar, but the one I take has a cortisol blocker)
Protein powder... though it isn't a supp (its just food), and it isn't really optional if you want 200g of protein in a day.

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Monday - Workout A1
Squat 3x5 | -
Pendlay 3x8 | Mountain Climber
Pullup x2 | Jumping Jacks
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 | Bodyweight Squats
Leg Curls 3x8 | ?
Crunches or situps 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset | -

Tuesday - Workout A2
Bench 3x5 | Step Up w/Knee
OHP 3x5 | Calf Hops
Dips 3x8 | Jumping Jacks
Reverse Flies 3x8 | Jump Rope
Pushups (to failure) x2 | -
Calf extensions 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset | -

Wednesday - Rest or Active Rest
Inactivity or light cardio

Thursday - Workout B1
Squat 3x10 | -
Pendlay 3x10 | Mountain Climber
Pullup x2 | Jumping Jacks
Cable Row 3x12 | Bodyweight Squats
Leg Curls 3x12 | ?
Crunches or situps 2x15/Curls 3x12 Superset | -

Friday - Workout B2
Deadlift 2x5
Bench 3x10 | Step Up w/Knee
OHP 3x10 | Calf Hops
Dips 2x12 | Jumping Jacks
Reverse Flies 2x12 | Jump Rope
Pushups (to failure) x2 | -
Calf extensions 3x15/Tricep pressdowns 3x12 Superset | -

Saturday - Rest or Active Rest
Inactivity, or Cardio, or HIIT

Sunday - Rest or Active Rest
Complete rest

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I'm happy with the results of our previous workout. Good intensity, made gains on several exercises, gained strength without gaining any weight/fat. I was definitely feeling the strain by the end though.

New workout for the next 5 ish weeks (until July 7th; haven't decided fully on the routine after that, though it will be focused heavily on muscle gain) is posted below. I'm posting my full workout plan. I'm aware that some people will not be interested in the full plan, and will just use parts. No worries, I had that in mind when I set it up. Hopefully I'll get to see Jason/Zach/Haley during the days, Steven/Chris/Jason/Temple most nights, Angela whenever she's around in that mess.

SCHEDULE

MON/WED/FRI
Day: Sport activities, a class at the gym, training other people
Night: Weights (See weight plan below)

TUES/THURS/SAT
Day: HIIT Training (Sprints at lake or Row Machine at gym)
Night: An hour of tedious cardio at the gym

WEIGHTS
-Weight routine is a 2 day split, pushing/pulling, on a 2 week cycle (first week you do workout 1/2/1, second week you do workouts 2/1/2)
-All weight routines are arranged into supersets.
-3 Sets for each exercise, 12-15 reps
-30-45 seconds between sets, 60-90 seconds between supersets
-May be beneficial to go heavy on at least one exercise each night to prevent overall strength loss on the big lifts (Squat, Pendlay, Bench, Shoulder Press). those will require a bit more downtime between them.
-Increase reps or weight every workout on every exercise.

Workout #1
Lunges // Pendlay Row (or DB Pendlay Row)
Pulldowns (or Pullups) // Abs (Plank, Sit ups, whatever)
Hyperextensions // DB Bicep Curl

Workout #2
Squat (8-12 reps) // Pushup (to failure)
DB Bench Press // DB Overhead Press
Triceps Extensions // Calves

NUTRITION
Ima try to eat really clean right now since I'm off and at home all the time now. I understand that others aren't, but since diet forms the cornerstone of any weight loss or muscle gain, it deserves attention. Basics are going to be the same as usual for me:

Macronutrient Calories
0.5g x lbs = Carbohydrates
0.5g x lbs = Fat
1.0g x lbs = protein

I'm going to try hard to actually hit this, and not increase calories based on exercise. Cheat day Saturday/Sunday, though less splurge than it has been... more of a cheat meal than a full day.

For the people that don't have the luxury of eating at home, I suggest tracking calories to the best of your ability, and cutting out the following for better alternatives:

Problematic Foods:
SODA!!! (complete absence of useful nutrition); Juice (the kind that isn't fresh squeezed) is also not great though, as they strip most of the nutrition and fiber out in the processing... Water is your friend.
Bread (even just cutting out half the bun on a burger is often >75 calories saved)
Fried food (the batter + the saturated fat in the grease = lots of calories with little nutritional value)
Processed grains (brown or wild rice is okay, steel cut oats are okay)

Some better alternatives:
Protein!!! Whey powder helps meet your daily totals, but chicken breasts are great too. And Salmon. And pork chops. And eggs.
Carbs: yams, apples (and similar fruit), berries, steel cut oats, brown rice, milk (whole), broccoli, green beans, most vegetables that are green.
Fat: nuts (tree nuts like almonds, cashews, and walnuts, not peanuts [a legume]), avacado, egg yolks, whole milk

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

New workout time again, hypertrophy edition.

INSTRUCTIONS
1) 9 -12 rep range on pretty much everything except isolation exercises. When you get up to >12, select a heavier weight and start over at 9
2) Focus on full range of motion, fast/powerful positive and slow negative (1:3 timing roughly), flex at top.
3) Focus on form and start with lower weight if necessary. The goal is to increase intensity EVERY SINGLE WORKOUT. Progressive overload.
4) No more than 60-90 second rests; use a timer if necessary.

MONDAY / THURSDAY
Dead lift 5-8 x 3
Bench
T-Bar Row*
DB Incline Press x 2
DB Fly x 2 (or cable fly if you suck like me)
Pull-up x4 (WG x2, CG x2)
Push-up x2 // Cable Row x2
*I'd like to fit a yates row in here too, but we'll have to see how it works out

TUESDAY / FRIDAY (DAY)
Arm workouts are a special private affair performed prior to the night workout
Pick any 2 bicep and any 2 tricep exercises and perform them in supersets. Stick with the same 4-6 exercises throughout. Options include:
curls, push-ups, db tricep extension, db kickback, dips, bench dips, preacher curls, hammer curls, skullcrushers, cg bp...
I'll likely be doing 12-15 x 3 of these:
Barbell Curl // Tricep Pulldowns
Preacher Curl // Bench Dips
Hammer Curl // One-arm Pulldowns

TUESDAY / FRIDAY (NIGHT)
Squats (extra deep, lighter weight)
Clean and press 5-8 x 3
Leg curls
Calf Extensions x2 x2 x2 (seated, standing, front) to failure
DB Shoulder press
Upright rows
Deltoid raises x2 x2 x2 (front, side, back)