In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"I think that fills in most of the holes in the information I was provided. For his part Imoak believes that you, Erinpsyche, and any number of others - possibly everyone - is manipulating him as if he were some pawn in a game. His refusal in this case is born from that notion."

Aine was silent a moment, mulling over facts and events. She had not actually been present at the event in the market, though it was hard to not be aware of it. "I cannot speak to the incident with the crowd - I must assume he had some sort of reason for his actions. Having traveled with him and the others from his tribe for a while now, I can say that they are an honorable people. They have unusual customs, at least to me, and many have... unconventional ways of thinking. Imoak himself seems to care deeply about his people and is concerned about the actions his fellow tribesmen have taken during the course of our journey so far."

"I mention all of this because we met yesterday and discussed the situation. He did eventually relax his stance when it was brought up that the disposition of the child might be negotiated. He seemed to be more in favor of... ah... assisting you if the child was then sent to be raised with his tribe. I recognize that may not be a savory solution for you given your perception of him, but look also to his tribemates Dala and Rachnar for examples of what sort of people come out of their tribe."

She shrugged. "There may be other concerns to deal with as well, but he seemed amiable to that, at least. Changing the topic slightly, are you certain that he's the only one that has this... twist of fate? It seems odd that during our travels together he would be the only one so affected. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anything that he might have done that the rest of us did not."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

"You would have me...give up my first born child?"

Her entire affect is immediately downcast. Tears freely stream from her eyes, she doubles over as though in pain, and seems to squat in place for a few moments, crying in silence.

"Why? Why is THIS the cost?"

She draws herself back up to her full height.

"Again I steel myself. I am a being dedicated to pursuits of virtue and right, all things good, proven in battle. Why, fair Aine, does the barbarian demand such a cost? Such a cruel price? He is offered a chance to right a wrong he has done, and now demands my child from me as advance? What greed! Thou art his friend and boon companion, thou hast called me from on high to discuss these matters, and thou art his representative in this matter. Tell me then, do I face such avarice with he alone, or are others among your number equally so? Is he so righteous as to believe himself infallible? Do I sully myself into corruption merely by seeking this out?"

She takes a breath, and calms her emotions, which are clearly tested by this entire affair.

"You ask if he alone among you is so tied to destiny. I know not. My communion with outer forces and those with oracular gifts merely revealed what is, and my investigations were directed towards my nemesis. It is possible that others have similar ties, though in interests of preserving my virtue I have sought such knowledge, exhausting what resources are available me and yet found nothing."

Something occurs to her it seems, and another pang of anger flashes through her face, and she suddenly changes subjects again.

"What arrogance! He takes no responsibility for his actions, as complicit or ignorant as he may have been, and demands a gift of silver blood for his people in return for the slightest chance of righting a wrong he committed? And suppose I agree to this, what then happens to the world with his child trained so by his people to act without thinking, to deny accountability, and behave without virtue? What new troubles result from this? Tell me, spellcaster, of his tribesmen you know, which others are so like him? What gambles do I make for any that encounter my child? And why should I let him turn me into a whore?"
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Aine is silent a few moments to give the dragon a chance to compose herself. "At this stage, all things are still negotiable. Also, I cannot really claim to speak on his behalf. I'm merely here to help open the dialogue, and to present some alternatives."

"You are rightly offended by the notion of being perceieved as a whore - though I would note that you are two adults of your species and able to make such decisions as you will, however necessary they may seem. You do still have a choice in this matter. In this case, Imoak seems to be seeking a choice as well. He believes that he has been used and then disposed of by virtually every woman our party has encountered, like some sort of prize stud. He is merely seeking a way to have more control over his own destiny, and that of his progeny."

Aine thinks back to the conversation of the previous day. "He believes that your battle with Erinpsyche is none of our business. Personally, I disagree. I think it became our business when she was somehow guaranteed survival of this coming doom that everyone seems to know of. I shall be devoting no small amount of effort into attempting to convince him and the others of that."

"As for his tribesmen, I know only what I see of the three I've met. Some are thoughtful and deliberate, some are rash and impulsive. I would not accuse them of acting without virtue, but their belief system and virtues do not necessarily correspond to what more... civilized folk would consider virtuous. They are a rugged people, independent and yet community-minded. I sometimes find them to be full of contradictions, but they seem to be guided by some internal logic that I'm not entirely privy to. Imoak himself seems to care little for people outside of his tribe, yet deeply for those he feels a kinship for. He continues to be at our sides solely to ensure the tribe's safety."

"Arrogance? Certainly. Arrogance and stubbornness are perhaps his two most defining traits aside from his titanic strength. However, I believe these to be traits of the individual rather than the tribe. I would suppose that a child with the blood of dragons in such a society would be accorded no small amount of status. What their ultimate fate would be, I could not even speculate. Undoubtedly it would grow to be a strong warrior of some disposition, though whether it would mirror the blind rages of its father or adopt the raw martial skill of a more disciplined combatant would likely depend on the influence and training at hand.

"For example, during our discussion it was never said that you would not be allowed to accompany the child if it were to be raised among his people. I don't know whether or not that makes for a more palatable option, but it would allow you to be with your first born, and to ensure that it received what you consider to be a proper education alongside the teachings of their tribe."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

She listens attentively as you speak, describing options that have been discussed and about Imoak and the others.

"He cares little for others outside his tribe? This is perhaps the worst thing I have yet to learn of him. He presumes to know what is best for a half-silver dragon, yet is so short sighted that he cannot see past his tiny nation?"

"Thou art here to 'open dialogue' on the matter, aside from an offer to sequester myself with a desert dwelling tribe, or surrender my child with 'permission' to visit, what matters can we discuss that might in actuality be acceptable?"
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"I'm afraid I really don't know. Custody of the child may not be the only thing that would cause him to be more agreeable. While I'm sure my other companions would welcome any assistance to the city you might offer - as I'm led to understand you have - I'm not sure that's the sort of thing he cares much for. I suspect that once things cool down in the city, he's likely to wander away from it - if he hasn't already. By contrast, Dala, one of his tribesmen, appears to be settling in for the long-term. Their people's attitudes are, clearly, widely divergent."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

"I had considered several option with him, and I had thought that an offer of assistance in some future battle, or guardianship of this fair city, would be more than generous considering the circumstances. I have prepared three Refuges to this end, that he might summon me to his aid in times of dire need. Alternatively, I could sit guardian over this city, protecting it from those who would take advantage of it's weakened state and ensuring an age of protection and renewal. I do not give these offers lightly.

Wouldst thou tell me what more I can do to forward my suit? And if not now, know thee that I will visit nearby Seborrah, whose elders have learned of my presence in this region and requested to see me most urgently, though thou canst reach me with news most quickly by using this [She produces a wand and offers it to you.]"