In remembrance of all the joy, and misery, of past games. Leave your offerings here.
Rusty
Lost Soul

D&D: FF - IC: Temple of the Holy Three of Aturia

Post by Rusty »

::The Shrine to Regalus, Imperius, and Bulwark is as old as Aturia itself, and with recent events has grown quite popular. In sharp contrast to the other temples, it is a multi story building with a large tower, in which Tanius formerly kept his chambers. The complex also extends down into the ground for several floors as well. Located mostly each to a floor, the complex includes the central, ground floor chapel, where services were held, a training area for hand to hand combat, as well as another one for bladed combat, a lecture hall for discourses on diplomacy, nobility, leadership, government, and so forth, and chambers for the (now deceased) clergy, including several stories of stairwell leading up to the high priest's chambers. The new acolytes of Bulwark have taken residence in the clerical chambers, and the strongest of them leads faltering sermons and lectures in the main chapel.::
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

::A group of twenty dwarves, arrayed in the regalia of high clergy of Bulwark, have arrived in the temple. They make vocal inquiries about "She who invoked our lords name" for a day or so, and then settle into the main chapel. Though they are clearly educated holy men in the Bulwarkian faith, they do not exert primacy over the local clergy, allowing the faltering, shaky sermons to continue. When services are not in session, they spend their time working on a large map of some kind, frantically scribing scrolls, or preparing meals which they freely share with the resident clergy. Their makeshift shelters occupy the southeast corner of the main chapel, and appear to be magical in some way, as, though they appear to be portable wooden shacks, there are only five of them, and all twenty dwarves fit inside comfortably, and appear refreshed each day and wearing clean garments and armor.::
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

After a few days, when word finally reaches her, Aine makes an appearance at the temple. Pushing open the door, she made her way inside, noting the addition of the dwarven camp and the generally increased population since her last visit.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Avilister wrote:After a few days, when word finally reaches her, Aine makes an appearance at the temple. Pushing open the door, she made her way inside, noting the addition of the dwarven camp and the generally increased population since her last visit.
::Almost immediately upon your arrival, Dulius, the Human cleric that has shown the most promise (and with whom you have interacted in the past) calls out and signals to the dwarf who seems 'in charge', and who, of course, has the longest, whitest beard. The dwarf abandons his map to his companions, who close in to fill his absence and continue their notation and markings. He approaches you, filled with fervor and excitement.::

"Hail, I am Eulor Stormhammer, High Priest of Bulwark. My companion priests and I have traveled from the far continent, from the shining city of Kour-des, to witness the miracle that I am told YOU invoked. What is your name? Is it true that you addressed our stalwart lord, and he answered your plea with a miracle?"
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"Well, yes. My name is Aine Tirion, though I'm not priestess. It just seemed to me that if one were to ask in a straightforward and reasonable manner for the patron of a city to protect it, that patron might just respond. Fortunately for the citizenry, I managed to do so. I wouldn't even call what I did a proper prayer - Forgive me, but I don't know enough of your religion to accurately follow its ways. It seemed, though, that he was unwilling to see this city and its people unjustly punished for perceived transgression that they didn't commit - and probably were not even aware of." Aine looks vaguely uncomfortable, but had steeled herself for something of an interrogation, confrontation, and thorough debriefing by the Bulwarkian priests that had come to town.

"I'm just pleased that the town is now so well protected. With time and perhaps some training, the Church of Bulwark will be able to grow within this city and protect it well."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

::The dwarf reverently kneels before Aine, strokes his beard, and bows his head.::

"Saint Tirion, your very presence invigorates my old bones, and your wisdom and power in beseeching our god, and the miracle you brought to bear on the behalf of the innocent embody our truest beliefs. We have journeyed from the far side of the world to see you, and to avail our highest ideals and services upon this great, but struggling city. We come with a threefold offering to Bulwark and the people of Aturia, and with your blessings we might proceed with our plans. We seek to open a gallery within the walls, that the fresh air might come in. We seek to construct cantilevered and spired tenemants and estates, upon the bones of what remains of the city since the storms, such that the largely displaced people you protect here might find a bounty of homes to expand in, and we wish to erect a great garden, arching out of the center of the city into the galleries and the Shield, wherein our lord Bulwark, his Saint Tirion, and the courage of Aturia might be revered, and fed by a bounty of protected gardens, and fortified against all who might dare to challenge the safety of this city again. This quest has been levied upon us by inspiration and communion, however we would never dare to affront the will of a holy woman of Bulwark, and we would not deign to interfere without endorsement here in the church. Our services are at your demand, should you approve, your holiness."
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

As the dwarf speaks, Aine's expression changes into one of mounting worry and then to something like shock or horror. "Oh no. No no no no no. I'm no saint, not for Bulwark and not for anyone else. I'm a wizard, a sorcerer, a student of the arcane - I have no business participating in churchly matters. I merely asked for protection on behalf of the city, much as a vassal might ask their lord to protect their land from invaders - a directly analogous situation, really.

"I certainly encourage you to perform any sort of reconstruction or remodeling of the city and what remains of its structures that you desire - the people will be endlessly greatful for the assistance. But, really, I'm not a saint, I'm not divinely inspired or anything like that. I merely acted the part of a diplomat on behalf of the city, seeking audience with one of its three divine patrons."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

::In response to your profuse denial of sainthood, the dwarf seems to take on a knowing look, and then leans down to the ground and kisses your feet, reverently.::

"Your humility and your nobility will never be forgotten by the followers of Bulwark, not as long as my voice is heard in the Canon of our faith. Would you do us the honor of viewing our plans? Much of them are already in motion, designed to please Bulwark, Aturia, and you. Our stonecutters have journeyed to the elemental plane of earth to find the strongest stones, which now await transportation here, and, while our magical abilities are strong, with the divine, perhaps you might shed light on the arcane attempts we are making, carried out by a hedge wizard lay person, recruited for this task."

::Seeing that he is making Aine uncomfortable, the dwarf draws himself up to his full height.::

"Though you may not know the tenets of our faith, as you say, you DO however grasp the purest of our ideals. You stood between the populace and disaster, armed with diplomacy, and triumphed. Bulwark is indeed the god of walls, but he is also the god of communities, nobility, and defense. Though you are not a student of the divine, quite the opposite in fact, you demonstrated great nobility, greater than has been seen within city walls for a long time."

::Unsure if she understands the importance of what she did, the dwarf continues, without condescension, to explain further.::

"You are well aware that the followers of Bulwark build cities and walls, and that upon the aeons rare occasion that Bulwark enacts a miracle, as he did here, it is usually in the form of artifice. We do not have, in the records of our faith, an example of such a profound miracle being performed, particularly by Bulwark himself, and no examples of a lay person beseeching one successfully. Bulwark, we believe, first handed down to the peoples of the world the secrets of stone masonry, both as a literal tool of defense, but also as an example of something more important. We continue to build great walls and cities, to defend ourselves and shelter the people, but we have also crafted tools of defense out of language. The words of diplomacy, the idea that an opponent can be reasoned with, the elements of discussion that enact a compromise, a treaty, or alliance, these are the true wall of defense that the Bulwarkian faith espouses. Yes, we build walls of stone, great walls that can withstand years of siege, but far more important is the Rite of Negotiation, the life long education that many nobles undertake to develop, not battlefield prowess, but the ability to divert battle completely through discussion, compromise, empathy, and persuasion. For this is what it means to be noble, to us, is to dedicate one's life to protecting those who cannot protect themselves, or who owe allegiance to you, for this is a sacred responsibility."

::He takes a breath.::

"You demonstrated not only an innate understanding of these concepts, ostensibly without formal training in our faith, but a mastery of the diplomatic arts. You must have understood, perhaps subconsciously, that with appropriate reasoning and persuasion, even the Gods can be moved from heaven to earth, to raise walls and defend the weak, and you did precisely this. You have been sainted in our faith, not for divine inspiration, or celestial nature, but for your nobility."
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

"It seems there's no dissuading you from that belief, so I will not insult your beliefs by attempting to do so further. Just, uh, no more kissing feet or the like - if you must do such things we can negotiate something else - the back of the hand perhaps? Seems a bit more proper." Aine attempted to still her feelings on the matter and shift back into a more business-like mindset.

"As far as your plans to help rebuild and renovate the city, I whole-heartedly approve, and I'd be happy to help with any of the particulars in matters arcane, though I must admit I'm not much of an architect."
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

::The dwarf, pleased with your approval, walks you through the plans they're making. The problem they're having is in the irrigation for the gardens. The geometry is all right, it'll keep the interior gardens hydrated, maintain fresh running water for the city below, and channel through the gallery into the outer fields to keep them hydrated as well. The actual issue is in their approach to either binding a water elemental to provide the water, or keeping a gate open to the plane of water that doesn't allow just anything through. They're also having trouble setting up magical defenses over the city; they're attempts at making an activatable series of abjurations appear to be doomed to failure.::

::Upon examination of their plans, Aine realizes that certain things appear to be catastrophically wrong. A water elemental, even a primal one, is not going to produce enough water per day, and this would involve either annual payment to the elemental via planar binding, or some form of involuntary imprisonment. The persistent gate is a terrible idea, as the plane of water is infinite in size and therefore volume and the world is rather notably NOT. Though such a solution would create an endless stream of water, irrigate farmlands for miles in every direction, and usher in an age of bountiful harvest and plenty for Aturia, it would, in fact, eventually flood the world. Other permanent solutions for an infinite or near infinite water source for the city may exist that the dwarves did not consider, given their limited knowledge of the arcane.::

::The dwarves DO, however, seem to have some arcane knowledge that Aine does not. They intend to link their abjurations to a magical structure not native in design to this realm, or at least to modern knowledge. It appears to be a circle of runes that contain magical power, and delineate an area in which certain spells or effects are altered, improved, or augmented in some way.::
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

After some time and examination, Aine begins to propose modifications to the arcane aspects of the dwarven plans, supplementing their designs with her arcane know-how. Though she readily admits that she doesn't have access to many of the spells involved, she feels sure that most are probably available somewhere with only a modest investment - a thought that causes her to make a mental note to expand her own repertoire. She does what she can to help though, if only to further benefit the city she'd helped to liberate.

Once this planning session is winding down, Aine gives in to her curiosity and asks, "So, what is all of this, with the circles of runes?"
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

::The dwarves, now all of them gathered around you and watching your every move and hanging on your every word as you examine their plans, show deep embarrassment when you point out that their plans would have potentially murdered the world, and they greatly appreciate the advice you give them.::

::One of the solutions you are able to provide is to use a teleportation circle within a specifically worded forbiddance located deep underwater, designed such that only water can enter the teleportation circle. The second solution involves the aforementioned rune circles.::

"Ach, these are ancient magic! I have to admit, their arcane nature has made it hard for us to work with them, and we're quite worried that we've misunderstood something."

::He produces a worn tome of considerable size, and opens it for you. It's written in dwarvish, which he immediately begins translating for you. Loose leaf parchments are stuck into the tome throughout its length, which are written in common and contain what appear to be arcane to divine conversions. From your knowledge of magic, you believe that these are probably insufficient to make a magic item work.::

::The rune circles are as described in Races of Stone pg 167. Essentially, they are magic items permanent in nature and placement that provide a wide variety of possible magical effects, from quickening all spells cast within their radius, to communicating over long distances, to even "not counting" turns spent within their radius against the duration of a Rage ability. The tome is the Grimoire of Circles Runed, and provides for the reader capable of casting 4th level Arcane spells the use of the Craft Rune Circle feat.::

::You feel that with appropriate translation availability, either through your own mastery of language, a spell, or an interpreter, judicious use of the Forge in the Arcanopteryx, and 75000 gp in currency and/or items, you could replicate the book and its functions into the language of your choice and then have your own copy. You do not feel that it will be possible to make a Craft Divine Runic Circle grimoire without first possessing the Craft Runic Circle feat and the Craft Wonderous Item feat, though were an arcane caster capable of casting 4th level spells to incorporate the cooperation of a divine caster in forming a circle, divine effects could in fact be generated as well.::

::As mentioned before, a solution to the irrigation water source problem the dwarves are having is presented in Runic Circles, that is, a circle could be designed such that a person standing in it could cast Create Water in such a tremendous volume, variable at the will of the character standing in the circle, such that all that was needed each day to provide clean running water to the entire city and irrigate an essentially unlimited area of crops is for any thinking character that meets the runic circle demands (such as race or somesuch) to will it so.::

::The original intended use the runic circles in the designs of the dwarves is one of abjurative defense of the city. They are trying to use a scroll of Prismatic Sphere to provide the necessary spell such that six overlapping runic circles, five of identical function, allow any layperson to stand in the center and cast Prismatic Sphere of unlimited duration large enough to cover the entire city. In their Zeal, the dwarves have undertaken what amounts to an epic spell being cast out of an epic magic item, and they haven't got the chops for it. However, using runic circles for city protective abjurations or evocations is not impossible, but they will need your help.::

::Seeing as the head dwarf in this troupe is a 20th level character, and the head of the Bulwarkian faith in this plane, any spell you want is available, either through his casting of Miracle to simulate it, or through the availability of scrolls to the church of bulwark. If you desire to design a city defense grid or abjurative focus of some kind, let your imagination run free. If you don't feel that Aine could or would do this right now, then don't worry, as this can happen later as well.::