Your Creation may vary.
rydi
Site Admin

New Game

Post by rydi »

I will fill in the plot hooks section later. Game is to run at an unannounced time, starting sometime later in May.

))))))))))))))
This is a mixed exalted game. I am interested in seeing some alternate concepts (both story and player) play out, and it is therefore set in an alternate creation to the primary game we are playing in. I will be using a few alternate rules for character creation and playing the game. I will also be using the plot hook thing Gideon used in his Countenance game (but more on that below).

I will be using combos (but done slightly differently), as well as a few other things I want to try out. I want characters to be fun starting out, not necessarily twinked goddlings though. Perfects are unnecessary for play, and will likely not become necessary for some time. Build accordingly.

)))))))))))))))
Setting:
Setting will be in the 100 kingdoms, at least to start. The game will start by focusing on the characters as badasses and larger than life heroes rather than returning God-Kings with the power to shatter creation. Think of D&D mid- to high-level characters, but pre-epic (as opposed to the primary game, which started at epic and just kept going). Characters will slay things troubling villagers, overthrow evil kings, thwart plots, explore ancient runes, find a prophecy or three, and collect a bunch of cool shit.

Characters should be new to their exaltation, with the possible exception of the DB character. This means that abilities that take a while in game, like full celestial MA trees, sorcery above terrestrial, etc. should not be taken. I want to play up the learning of MA and sorcery, as they have a lot of plot potential, and whole books written around them. Seems a waste not to use that.

)))))))))))))))))
Plot Hooks:
Gideon did something I found intriguing with his countenance game a while back. Basically, he assigned some plot hooks that he needed filled, and had people claim the ones they wanted. Then he tossed out some more plot hooks based upon stat requirements, and let characters claim what they wanted and build their characters accordingly. I want to do that. Basically, I will throw out enough hooks in both categories that characters can pick up to 2 from each. These will develop in game, and will create both rewards and problems for your character. Plot hooks should be adapted to individual character's backstories. Finally, characters should choose a constellation that will

Story Hooks:
You murdered an innocent man
You stole a precious item
You had an affair with an important person
You had an affair with a god
You desecrated a god's temple
You have a special relationship with the fair folk [part of someones epic story]
You are the reincarnation of a shitty person
You got your village/family/clan/whatever destroyed
You were the only survivor of your village/family/clan/whatever being destroyed
Your true love was lost, but not killed
You were saved by talking animal
You are the heir of someone more powerful than you
You swore a sacred oath, that you have yet to fulfill

Stat Hooks:
Lore 3+, Spec 1+(you were trained as an academic)
Bureaucracy 3+ (you were part of a merchant clan)
Survival 3+ (you spent time wandering the wilderness)
Larceny 3+ (you spent time as a thief)
Medicine 3+ (you were trained as a doctor in a big city)
Ride 3+ (your family traded in animals)
Thaumaturgy (any) 2nd degree (you were an apprentice shaman)
Sail 3+ (you crewed a riverboat [bonus if you were a slave])

)))))))))))))))))
Slots:
I have Openings for the following
1 Solar
2 Lunar```
1 Sidereal^
1 Abyssal*
1 Infernal**
1 DB***
``` Lunars will be able to play any of the 5 castes. They will however be bound to standard character creation rules (though knacks will be reduced to 8 xp)
^ I reserve the right to veto sidereal concepts I don't like. Also, you would not have been indoctrinated by the Bureau of Destiny yet.
* Abyssals will follow resonance rules by the book. Monstrances will be used merely as a soul cage for the exaltation, and will not allow direct power usage on the Abyssal to which it is tied. Abyssals should be of a heroic demeanor, and are not supervised by their deathlord.
** Infernals will strictly follow the rules for torment provided in the book, don't give a fuck about the fluff. Infernals should be of a heroic demeanor (though internal conflict with the Urge will be... interesting), and have not yet been to malfeas.
*** DB's are potentially bad-ass, since I will be enforcing combos. I will not be using some of the other rules, like begging the dragon and rolling to enter a form. I may also reduce xp cost for charms by 2, though I need to take a closer look.

)))))))))))))))
Building the Character: most of the process remains the same
1)Attributes - No more than 1 attribute at 1 dot, unless an exceptional reason is presented. 2 attributes at 1 is the hard cap.
2)Skills - I want diversity and I want characters to feel that their niche is somewhat unique to their character.
3)Backgrounds - No manse, no artifact, no liege, no abyssal command, no command. Past lives is open to everyone, and can represent exaltation or higher soul depending on background.
4)Virtues - Whatever. Though considering BP rules I'm using, you probably should have only a single 1, if that many.
5)Charms - If you qualify for it, you may have a single Ox-Body for your given type, FREE. Also, as previously stated, perfects are not necessary. No sorcery/necro above terrestrial (and do explain how you got it if you take either).
7)Merits/Flaws - These must balance out to zero, but otherwise do as you will (unless you want the Matrix of Leadership or something, in which case you implode from kool upon buying the Legendary Artifact merit). Flaws should be actual flaws. If people feel that the balance of zero req should be lifted, I would be willing to allow up to a 5pt pt surplus (which turns into 20xp)
8)BP's - Spend 60xp (but don't spend any BP's).
9)I give out free shit to people based on backstory. It will all be equal in xp, but vary based upon character.

All crafts count as specialties, as does each level of thaum. All require in game education/training time to learn.

))))))))))))))
Combos:
I want to see combos. I want to see combos for differnt combinations of charms. I want variety, and I want cool names. Therefore, the only thing that I will be changing about combos as printed is the cost.
([1xp * #charms] + 1) or ([2xp * #charms] + 1) will be the cost, depending on what the players feel makes most sense. Either of these is highly affordable, and encourages building a toolbox of combos, but still requires some xp, and expenditure of willpower.

)))))))))))))))
XP:
I want to try doing XP a bit differently.
1xp for showing up
1xp for answering a character dev question in a non-lame way
1xp for defeating a major plot point
1xp for defeating a challenging foe (more depending on challenge level)
1xp for 3-die stunts
1xp for being entertaining (top half of players present)
1xp for good ideas (recording them wouldn't be a bad idea...)
1xp for an epic failure
1xp for staying in character (top half of players present)
1xp for (to be filled in with suggestions from players...)
Last edited by rydi on Sat May 02, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Slots filled:

Adam - DB
Paul - Infernal
Jason - (tentatively Solar, though scheduling may conflict)
Zack - Lunar
Steven - Abyssal
Last edited by rydi on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Bleeeh. I don't know if I want to play any of what's left. I've played Solars extensively and a fair bit of Lunars. Sidereal charmset is too broken for me to even want to mess with, particularly with your hate of Astrology, which is one of the only things that bring Sidereals back onto par with other Celestials.

I may consider a Solar, but I'd have to give it some thought. I'm sort of bleh on making yet another.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Abyssal is open if we play on fridays, which is what may have to happen, as people suck at saturday afternoons.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I don't think I can really do 'heroic' abyssal. Their charmset is far too oriented at murder to make that an easy thing to set up. I'll mull over it some, but my current stance remains 'Bleeeh'
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

eh, whatever you feel like. I personally don't think it is that hard, especially since you can have heroic murderers. Punisher, Wolverine, even Spawn, are all examples. Oh, and the best of all, the Crow. The Crow is imo the paragon of heroic abyssals.

Ivanovich
Lost Knight

Post by Ivanovich »

given how much time i have to work on a character, i think i would like to try sidereal. I know they are complicated, but hey i can give it a shot.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I can tutor you in astrology if he lets you use it. I found it pretty easy to get a handle on once I sat down and actually made a few effects.

Looking more and more at Abyssal, though I'm still trying to decide on a caste. I do have some questions. How are you handling the all-important VAP? :P I assume the Spectral keyword will apply as normal?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

as currently handled (i.e. the offensive abilities work, defensive don't).

or I could be a dick and not rule on it till someone buys it... :P

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

If i play i also do not mind the solar slot.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Ivanovich
Lost Knight

Post by Ivanovich »

looking into it I have decided that in fact Sidereal charms are really screwy. I like the ideas behind many of them, but their usefulness is very limited.

I think instead I will go with a Lunar. After making an Infernal I think i understand better how lunars are supposed to be made.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

kk.

Yeah. Sidereals are good in a narrow range of things, but past that they aren't that cool.

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Yeah Siddies remind me of Kallarah, they are weird, they suck at alot of things and a lot of what they do just doesn't make sense. "I don't want to ever get hit, ergo I am going to take performance up to 5!" or, "That city sure is placed inconveniently, I think that I will use my dodge skill to move it."
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Story Hook: I was the only surviving member of my town being destroyed.
Ability Hook1: I am an academic.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Reincarnation of a shitty person.
Ride 3