Your Creation may vary.
arete
Lost Knight

custom charms for my solars

Post by arete »

I would like to create Custom charms to enhance the defense and damage of my weapon, and I would like a mote regen that can trigger on an attack. Any ideas?
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I would also like suggestions on custom melee charms.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Enhancing weapon stats with a charm is generally a no-no. For that, simply use a better weapon.

Attack-triggered mote regen is problematic system-wise. You can see the effects of this already with other people's charms. If such a charm were to be added to the charm set, I feel it should either be supplemental and cost at least 1 mote to activate and be dependant upon actually doing damage with the attack or, alternately, be (Essence) actions in length, have a WP and fairly high mote cost (since these would be committed for the duration) and similarly require actual damage to be done in order to have any effect.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

There is already a melee charm that adds to rate/acc. Maybe lowering speed on an attack would be good.

Mote regen from offensive action is everywhere but in the solar charms. I could see a 1m per attack that regens 1m per damage done charm.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I personally think that with the free reflexives, and with high level play in general, mote regen becomes a system breaker.

As I've already stated, I would like to see a cap put on it per action (not by charm, as the charm caps are enough to refresh entire pools). That way high level combat actually has an end, and we don't see entire pool refreshes every round.

But I'm not sure if anyone actually cares but me.

edit: The speed thing isn't that big a deal, as there are things that provide such reductions, though rare, in other charms. The biggest thing is costing it right; usually those charms are fairly cost heavy, and require activation for all actions in a flurry.

Edit: Just b/c it exists in another charmset is not a reason it should exist in a non-native charmset. Sometimes its ok, and in this case i might even be down with it (both the speed and the mote regen), but everyone should remember that when you start stealing everything from all the other types, you end up having no uniqueness, along with a solar "i win" button (since solars have the highest caps and best xp chart, if everyone has the same charms, they win).

In ff10 terms, we don't need an open sphere grid with different starting points, but rather a unique starting point for everyone with perhaps a few abilities that can be integrated into all types (with a bit of modification based on theme).
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I disagree with adjusting speed. Also, using One Weapon, Two Blows as a baseline for any charm design is fundamentally flawed, as it is one of the worst written combat charms in the game. To start with, it totally sucks and is unarguably just a speed bump to get you to Peony Blossom (which I think we can all agree is pretty awesome). In 1st Ed it was way better, as it just gave you two attacks instead of one attack with, I think, a single attack roll.

Anyway, again, using that as a baseline is a no-fly zone in my world of game mechanics, because you're building on top of a weak foundation. Most artifact weapons are sufficiently good and balanced that you've got better things to spend your essence on than simply upping weapon statistics.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Well suggest some other cool ideas please. I would lile 1-2 unquie charms.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

do you have something thematic you want? that would be where I would start. You could make your attacks ignore armor, or make some other special spear attack for example. Or you could work towards some tactical charms w/war and/or melee. If all you can think of is a stat adder, then the existing charms are fine for what you need. If there is some creative space you want for your char, then that would be the place to start from.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I have asked about bypassing armor in the past, and been denied. Spear attacks are good, but i definately want an attack charm of sorts. War is ok, but i like what i have. Integrity might be cool. I really want offensive mote regen, do more damage due to any game mechanic appropriate to my spear, a cheaper mote activation higher requirment multiaction charm, or going with my openning charm list theme something that adds to dv.
angelicyokai
Lost Knight

Post by angelicyokai »

I want the arrow of regen charm. You power an arrow (or other projectile) with healing, then release. The hole punchy is used for the healy
[CENTER]ImageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/CENTER]

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”
― Marcus Aurelius
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

That's a Sidereal charm, and its already in the game.

My suggestion? War charms that enhance coordinated attacks outside of mass combat.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Just so its posted the custom charm was

Cost: 4 motes Mins: war 3 essence 3 Type: reflexive Key words: combo ok, obvious Duration: instant Prerequisite charms: Fury Inciting Presence (so 3rd level charm)

Allow the exalt to make a reflexive Coordinated Attack role at no penalty as part of your normal action. example: You could take your normal attack action w/flurry and still setup the coordinated attack.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Would it be appropriate to make a charm that ignored a unit's leader and instead attacked it's magnitude directly? Kind of an inverse of sweeping swallow strike (I think that is the name of the charm).
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Just to clarify your wanting to target the unit without the leader so that the leader of the unit can't use charms to assist the unit.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

An exellency expansion I was talking about with paul:

Anytime you attempt a role with [ability] and do not use an excellency any successes you get over 5 regain you 1 mote.