Your Creation may vary.
rydi
Site Admin

willpower regaining charms

Post by rydi »

Are there any charms that give willpower regen?

I was thinking of making a custom one based somehow on virtues... Any ideas?
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

resistance has one that uses the same mechanics as the mote regen charm.

Its on page 207 of the main book.

WILLPOWER-ENHANCING SPIRIT
Cost: 4m; Mins: Resistance 3, Essence 1; Type: Reflexive
(Step 10)
Keywords: Combo-OK
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Essence-Gathering Temper
The Lawgiver draws inner strength from the challenges
that face him. He invokes this Charm when hit by an attack
that damaged him—that is, an attack that cost him at least one
health level of damage. His player rolls one die for each health
level lost. This Charm restores one point of temporary Willpower
plus one point for each success rolled. This Charm cannot raise
the Exalt’s Willpower above its normal value.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Those are actually slightly different mechanics than the Solar mote regen charm (which does not actually require that you take health levels of damage). That said, this charm, the Yozi meta-Ex's that enhance stunts, and the Virtue Transcendant charm for Conviction are the main examples. Conclusion-Pursuing Approach, the capstone of VBoS Style also has some WP regen. There are probably a few others scattered throughout the system, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

hmmm. Transcendence of conviction doesn't actually give immediate regen.

I'm going to throw out some situations as conditions on a unique will regen charm, and you guys rate them:

1)succeed at an action aided by a virtue channel

2)convert health into will

3)fail an action (no purposeful failures)

4)defeat a foe

5)face a threatening foe for the first time in a scene (essence =/> than own?)

6)reducing someone to by a certain number of wounds, or upon giving them at least crippled wound level (their pain, your pleasure)

7)healing someone, or making them happy

8)forging an intimacy (pick pos/neg) in (yourself/someone else)

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

i will comment on the once you typed in a bit, but you moght also look at a condition of npt denying your virtue.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Some thoughts, I'll go in order I guess:

1) Bleh, I don't like this because you have to spend a willpower to use a virtue channel anyway, that's an innate part of the cost of having done so in the first place. Success on the presumably difficult task should be reward enough.

2) I don't mind this too much

3) No. fails are fails, no reason to be rewarded for it. The only exception I can concieve of is a reflexive charm with an absurd mote cost (5-10). Failures should not refill your reserve of willpower, quite the opposite.

4) Nope, don't like this one either. Motes? Maybe. Willpower? No. The exception would be if having defeated a foe works towards your motivation, in which case the Willpower recovery mechanic is already in the game.

5) Bleh. This one is problematic from a number of perspectives. I suppose it might work, but I would define it as Essence+2 or more. We've already bulldozed a few Essence 6 Exalts, they're clearly not a major threat when you're Essence 5. I'm still not a fan of it though

6) This really only works for Abyssal charms in my opinion, or Laughing Wounds Style (which may already have one, I don't recall)

7) This rolls into satisfying motivation again, in my opinoin. Maybe with some sort of bonus if you have these people as intemacies? I don't know...

8) I'm not a fan of this because it is too easy to do. There are charms that do this instantly already and even without the charms, it is almost stupidly easy for an Exalt with any investiment in social skills to create intemacies.
adam
Lost Knight

Post by adam »

There is a Solar Hero charm that lets you regain will. When someone attacks you and misses but has at least 5 or your essence in successes (whatever is higher) you can gain a temp will.

I don't like the idea of regaining willpower if you follow your virtue, since it is something that you lose willpower for not doing.
Out there somewhere there is a Tarrasque eating delicious epic corn waiting to start a journey...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

adam wrote:
I don't like the idea of regaining willpower if you follow your virtue, since it is something that you lose willpower for not doing.
Kind of how I feel, though it seems there should be something to do that involves virtues... just can't think of anything.