Your Creation may vary.
rydi
Site Admin

gaian special abilities?

Post by rydi »

since all the other non-solars have special stuff, i wanted to try and find something that would be similar for the gaians. i came up with affinity.

Gaians are more in tune with the elemental dragons than any other beings. the elements flow through them, and are the source of their power. They channel elemental essence to do stuff, but what about just everyday stuff, or dealing with the raw elements? well, gaians should have an affinity for them, be able to naturally interact with them better. That is where the Affinity mechanics come in.

(element) Affinity is a background, purchased normally. undecided whether it has any abilities on its own. There are of course 5 affinities that can be purchased, rated 1-5. Affinity charms utilize the background as pre-reqs and to govern their mechanics.

Affinity charms do stuff with the elements, and natural flows of elemental essence. The level of affinity background would effect parameters of the affinity charm effects. Example charms (not all have mechanics, but they are listed anyway to give an idea of various effects):

Elemental Resistance: resist element. add x dice to resist an element you have affinity to, with x being the level of affinity.

Elemental Immunity: Immune to element. Pre-reqs

Elemental Shaping: move and shape your chosen element. applies to x cubic yards, where x = affinity in the chosen element.

Elemental Movement: move through your chosen element as normal.

Elemental Sense: sense all of a given element in an area.

Elemental Scrying: sense through your element.

Elemental Flight: what it says. pre-reqs

Elemental Body: gives bonuses to atts and/or special effects
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

So, anyway, let me know if this is well liked. I think this is a good alternative to knacks and astrology/prayer strips. but tell me what you think.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

In my opinion? No, it is too similar to what they already do and what the DB in general do. Many of these effects are already available via existing charms.

In general whatever effect they have should be stronger or more off-the-wall. Possibly some entirely new mechanic (a la Astrology).
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

well, this is a new mechanic that is totally new. though the effects are similar to other charms.

one of the things that i liked about this idea was that though it is similar to what some charms do, it would generally be more powerful, and more elemental, making these effects integral to the Gaian's being instead of just "charms" per se. more like knacks in some ways.

the ability to walk through rock, stand in an inferno, fly on the air, see at great distances through elemental resonance, and shape elements (not just blast), are all powerful, especially if they are innate to the Gaian.

but, if not this, any other ideas?

Also, i would recommend not feeling too attached to the effects already available. they are lesser charms, and i'm not terribly concerned about duping some of their effects to make something better.

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

more comments would be helpful here guys...

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Sorry, I will re-read this and post more of my thoughts tomorrow, I am still dead from Saturday night.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Honestly, aside from mechanical stuff, there are two really big advantages that Gaians have. One is that they can trivially masquerade as Dragonblooded (I was thinking on a different topic, it may actually be impossible to distinguish a new Gaian Exalt from a Dragonblooded unless they exalt considerably later in life.). The other is that a Gaian Exalted's "half-caste" offspring are likely full-blown dragonblooded (I suppose we'll find out :P). That may not be a substantial mechanical benefit, but it is a significant story effect.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

well, and the lesser charms are 8pts, so that means that they do, technically, have a low cost special charm set. i'd still like it if they had a greater connection to the elements though.