Your Creation may vary.
rydi
Site Admin

New Gaian Charms

Post by rydi »

This thread is for critiquing and compiling new charms for Gaian Exalts.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Elemental Barrier Method
Cost: 1m/2lhl, 0-1will
Mins: Lore 5, Essence 4
Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-Basic, Elemental, Obvious
Duration: (Essence) Actions, or Scene
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Burst Technique, Any Lore Excellency
Description: The Gaian Exalt weaves essence into a barrier of her chosen element. For her essence in actions, or for the entire scene if she spent a willpower, a barrier with a length of (Essence x 4 yards) and height of (Essence x 2) yards appears within (Essence x 20) yards. This barrier deals 2 lethal health levels of damage to those that attempt to go through it (or climb it, in the case of the razor sharp earth and wood walls) per mote spent on the activation (up to Stamina+Lore), as well as inflicting an appropriate elemental effect as per Elemental Bolt Attack. The barrier may be shaped to the preference of the creator, but is set once brought into being. When activated as an attack, the creator must roll (Lore+Perception) to properly target the placement, against all affected target’s DV. The barrier stops all ranged attacks not backed by an appropriate stunt.
Changed the targeting roll. Upped the height. Not too concerned about the height though, as it isn't supposed to totally stop people from jumping it; its intent is more to screen missile fire and provide a bit of a delay to less mobile characters. Upped the damage cap, though Stamina is what Bolt is based off of. Altered the protection against missile fire to require an appropriate stunt.

Elemental Storm Technique
Cost: 10m, 1w
Mins: Lore 5, Essence 4
Duration: (Essence) Actions
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Barrier Method
Description: The Exalt sparks an uncontrolled cascade of her chosen element in the surrounding area, rolling (Lore+Intelligence) to set off the storm, adding successes equal to her essence. All those in the (Essence x 4) yard radius sphere that do not successfully move out of the area (with some sort of reflexive movement charm, or perfect effects) (Successes+Essence+2) dice of damage, as well as an appropriate elemental effect as per Elemental Bolt Attack. This damage repeats every 5 ticks. Those that enter the area after the storm is active are subject to damage beginning on the tick that they enter the sphere. The creator of the storm remains in the calm eye at the center of the storm (2 yards around the characters body) until the effect’s duration expires, protected from all ranged missile fire (due to both cover, and complete lack of visibility), but is not actually immune to the effects of the storm if she is forced into the active area of the effect (perhaps by a grapple or other hand to hand attack).
Further defined the eye of the storm, added Combo-Basic, altered damage calculation, altered duration and damage repeat. I don't mind overlap in charms (dodge and awareness with surprise anticipation method do this), and the effect is based on something very different from the war effect. The effect is also protective against large numbers of opponents, and protects against missile fire, which makes up for a lack of huge damage.

Elemental Discorporation Technique
Cost: 10m
Mins: Lore 5, Essence 5
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Storm Technique
Description: The Gaian unweaves the elements in her chosen target, creating an internal imbalance in the target. Water leaves the blood and fills the lungs, insides freeze while the skin burns, and minerals leach out of bones and burst out of the body. The Exalt rolls (Lore+Intelligence), at a difficulty equal to the target’s essence. If the attack succeeds, the target is subject to an appropriate elemental effect as per Elemental Bolt Attack, as well as taking (2+Essence) dice of Lethal damage plus additional dice equal to the successes over the difficulty on the activation roll, that can only be soaked by the target’s Stamina+Resistance. Only perfect effects may block or parry this attack.
Changed damage, added perfect attack. I don't feel this is in any way similar to Elemental Bolt, due to the way the mechanics work, and the theme.

Elemental Chrysalis
Cost: 25m, 2w
Mins: Lore 6, Essence 6
Keywords: Elemental
Duration: Varies
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Succor Method, Any Lore Excellency
Description: The Exalt steps into her chosen element, and weaves a cocoon out of the element around herself. While in the cocoon, the Exalt respires essence at twice the normal rate, and heals damage at a rate of 10x the normal rate (including damage that can only be healed by magic). The cocoon has the additional effect of protecting the exalt from any environmental effects until the cocoon opens, as well as allowing the Exalt to subsist on essence. While in the cocoon the Exalt ages at 1/10th the normal rate. The Exalt sets a condition for emergence, which may vary from “when I am healed” to “when there is no longer any environmental damage ongoing” to “X amount of time”. When the exalt emerges, she is fully rested and fed, free of poison, and any crippling effects are removed as long as the wounds that caused them are healed. The exalt shows enhanced elemental markings, and is in something of a controlled limit break for the next several days, exhibiting emotions and reactions appropriate to her element. The cocoon has a soak of 10 and hardness of 10. If the cocoon is broken before the preordained time, the exalt emerges with as normal, except they are in full limit break. Exalts with Elemental Admixture add an additional +10 multiplier to their healing time for each Admixture they can reasonably apply (an exalt beneath the sea, buried in magma could feasibly receive a x30 multiplier for example), and age at a further reduced rate (1/20th for two elements known, 1/30th for 3, etc). Each admixture adds 10 to soak and hardness.
Edited Essence prereq mistake. Otherwise did nothing, though am open to new suggestions. The ability crossover is there most definitely, though as a high level charm this is more common. For fast healing the others are still better. This mainly allows for survival of major disasters and healing grievous wounds (Elemental Succor Method doesn't heal agg). Thematically, this is reweaving elemental makeup of the character's body that was damaged, and is an advanced application of elemental science.

Elemental Admixture
Cost: -/(+1m)
Mins: Lore 5, Essence 3
Type: Permanent
Keywords:
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Empowerment Meditation, Elemental Bolt Attack, Any Lore Excellency
Description: Permanently enhances charms with the Elemental keyword. Characters choose an element other than their original aspect when they purchase this charm and from that point on, may add that elements effect to any elemental Charm usage. The exalt spends 1m, in addition to the standard Charm cost of whatever Charm they are activating, to activate the additional element with the Charm. This adds an additional 2 dice of damage, as well as adding the appropriate elemental effect, as per Elemental Bolt Attack. This charm may be taken up to 4 times, and its effects stack, though the additional 1m cost must be paid for each element added.
Changed mote cost.

Weather Weaving Discipline
Cost: 15+m, 1w
Mins: Lore 5, Essence 5
Type: Simple (Dramatic Action)
Keywords: Obvious, Shaping
Duration: (Essence) Hours
Prerequisite Charms: Elemental Storm Technique
Description: The Exalt manipulates weather patterns within (Essence) miles of her location, shifting the intensity of the weather by 1 level of intensity for each 10 minutes spent activating this charm. An additional 10 minutes may also be spent to widen the area of the weather effect by (Essence) miles. For each additional hour spent shaping the weather, the Exalt must pay an additional 10m. At the end of the Exalt’s period of concentration, the weather is locked into the pattern chosen by the Exalt for a number of hours equal to her essence, then dissipates at the same rate that she formed it. Though creations usually rectifies tampering, repeated use of this charm can negatively affect the weather patterns of whole regions, and may draw the attention of very angry weather spirits. Level of intensity is defined by the Storyteller, but some guidelines are: Level or type of precipitation (light/medium/heavy, Fog/Rain/Snow/Hail), temperature (every 10 degrees), and wind speed (each 10 miles/hour).
Added effect levels, changed activation time, added additional per hour cost. Didn't read thaum, though I should. Like all of the elemental stuff I've worked on, this falls under elemental science and properly weaving and balancing elements, rather than tampering with standard essence flows, weather spirits, and the like.

Terrain Molding Discipline
Cost: 15m, 1w
Mins: Lore 6, Essence 6
Type: Simple (Dramatic Action)
Keywords: Obvious, Shaping
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Weather Weaving Discipline
Description: The Exalt builds on her understanding of large scale environmental shaping, learning to permanently alter the terrain around her. The Exalt spills her essence into the ground around her, committing the motes spent until she finishes shaping the terrain around her, and spends 10 minutes per effect level desired shaping the terrain within (Essence x 10) radius yards. She may also spend 10 minutes to increase the area of effect by (Essence x 10) yards in radius, to maximum radius of her essence x 100 yards. The Exalt may shape any structure she chooses, even creating castles and forests within her area of effect (though creating particular shapes requires appropriate craft roles). Effect levels are to be decided by the Storyteller, but as this is a charm best used over seasons to craft a given area, the details are not terribly relevant.
Changed the mote cost to committed until the end of the shaping. Added crafting requirement. Changed AoE. The only reasons I can justify this as not being a craft charm is because a)it is a high level charm, and such charms often cross lines, b)the charm is based on actually manipulating elemental shape and balances in the region, and c)because the shaping effects of the solar exalts are in lore. Might still need to be there, not sure, though I think adding a crafting requirement for anything meaningful to be created mitigates the need somewhat. I may take out the rules specifics entirely and just use the distance affected, as the levels are meaningless, and you probably aren't doing this in a day.

Enlightened Fivefold Awareness
Cost: 1m
Mins: Awareness 5, Essence 3
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisite Charms: All-encompassing Earth sense
Description: This enhances the prerequisite charm as well as Feeling the Dragon’s Bones by allowing the Exalt to sense through all five elements, as well as allowing the Exalt to commit motes to keep either or both charms active indefinitely. The exalt must commit the motes to activate the charm(s), in addition to committing the 1m for Enlightened Fivefold Awareness.
Edited to correct the way in which motes are paid. Left the essence the same for two reasons 1)it is not quite as powerful as Sorcerer's sight, and 2)This is the only way I know of for Gaians to get a surprise anticipation effect, and needs to be obtainable at a reasonable level.

Unquenchable Fiery Spirit
Cost: 10m, 1lhl, 4w
Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 4
Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious, Social
Prerequisite Charms: Ten-Thousand Dragons Fight as One
Description: Replaces Inviolate Dragon Spirit. Works as Transcendent Heroes Meditation, except for the difference in cost. If the Exalt is unable to pay the mote portion of the cost, they can instead accept 3 aggravated health levels of damage (1ahl/5m, plus making the leathal damage aggravated). The character's anima flares to its iconic 16+ mote level and rages until the character's DV refreshes at least 3 time. Furthermore, the user enters a Fire aspected limit break immediately (without the gain in willpower, but with a reset of her limit break track).
Adjusted for retardedness.
Adjusted again, now with more drama-weasels, steeper cost, and additional side effects.

Ephemeral Unobtainable Flowing Soul
Cost: 5m
Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 3
Keywords: Social
Prerequisite Charms: Granite Curtain of Serenity
Description: The mind of the Exalt becomes like air, ephemeral and untouchable. Arguments touch only the periphery of her consciousness, and like a sudden storm she attacks those that would try to tame her. This is a perfect defense against against unnatural or natural mental influence that throws the character into limit break directed at her attacker (without the normal gain in willpower, but with a reset of the character's Limit Break track).
Adjusted for retardedness.

Elemental Balancing Prana
Cost: 5m, 1w
Mins: Integrity 5, Essence 3
Keywords:
Duration: 1 Scene
Prerequisite Charms: Inviolate Dragon Spirit
Description: Replaces Chaos Warding Prana. Removes the limitations on the charm.
I like renaming them with more thematically appropriate names or names that show their increased power level, but it isn't exactly required I suppose.

Unmovable Aura of Stone
Mins: Presence 4, Essence 2
Keywords: Combo-OK, Social
Prerequisite Charms: Aura of Invulnerability
Description: The Exalt takes on the implacable aura of stone, perfectly parrying a social attack, but becomes slow in her deliberations, taking a -2 internal penalty to her next social attack.
Prereqs for solars are lower, 2 essence and I think 3 linguistics. And no buy in (though it isn't a bad buy in honestly. And I think it's cheaper.

Inevitable Erosion of Will
Cost: 3m
Mins: Presence 4, Essence 2
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-OK, Social
Prerequisite Charms: Auspicious First Meeting Attitude
Description: The Exalts arguments slowly erode the will of the target. After a failed attempt to influence the target that failed due to the target expending willpower, the Exalt may supplement her next attack (which must restate the same point) by making it unnatural mental influence that requires the expenditure of 2 will to resist.

Flowing, Unbending Structure
Mins: 5 Bureaucracy, 4 Essence
Keywords: Social
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisite Charm: Geese-Flying South Administration, Testing the Waters
Description: The Exalt creates an organization that flows to adapt to any challenge, yet remains firmly dedicated to its goals. For as long as the Exalt has motes committed, the target organization ignores the first 3 efficiency penalties it receives, and functions as though the Exalt were leading it (defending using her MDV, motivation, and intimacies, though not her charms, to defend).
Cool. It is cheap mainly because it is committed.

Sense the False Heart
Cost: 5m, 1w
Mins: Investigation 4, Essence 3
Keywords:
Duration: Scene
Prerequisite Charm: Scent-of-Crime Method
Description: Replaces Falsehood Unearthing Attitude. Removes the limits on the charm.
Doesn't change a thing.

Name
Cost:
Mins:
Type:
Keywords:
Duration:
Prerequisite Charm:
Description:
Last edited by rydi on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Bleh, you should post these in smaller chunks, that'd make it easier to critique them. I'll try, but there's a lot so I may miss something. Just to start off, some of them see alternately way overpowered or way underpowered for what they are. A few others simply seem redundant or out-of-aspect for their ability.

Elemental Barrier Method - Seems alright, I'd make the limit on motes spent to increase damage (Lore) instead of (Stamina), as Stamina just doesn't make much sense to me here. I don't have my books, is that the limit put on Bolt/Burst? Targeting to drop it on someone should probably be Perception or Dex instead of Wits (based on other abilities that do magic ranged attacks). Wood and Earth are both better and worse. Honestly you may want to consider making it taller, many Exalts can -easily- vault a 7 yard wall (and we're high Essence).

Elemental Storm Technique - Sort of feels redundant with EleBurst and, more particularly, the damaging War charms. Frequency should probably be bumped up to more like every 5 or 6 ticks, though - 3 makes it excessively damaging. With RAW, almost no one would be able to defend against it because of DV refreshing issues. For a 4+ pre0req Celestial charm, can probably do more than Int+Lore damage, though I suppose an excellency can be used to boost it (but only since we're technically still DB's, as it lacks any combo keywords).

Elemental Discorporation Technique - Feels reduntant with EleBolt to me. Should probably allow Resistance into the roll to resist it (probably sub Essence out). 10m is a pretty high cost for not a lot of return if the roll is poor or they resist, may tweak the cost down a bit.

Elemental Chrysalis - This one starts to toe the line between abilities. This seems like more of a Survival (or possibly Resistance, but probably Survival) charm to me, even with its elemental focus. Most of the rest is fine, for the most part I can only see it really being used to heal seriously grevous wounds in-game. Even with that, Medicine charms and Wood Dragon style are probably better for quick healing. The pre-reqs are unobtainable at the exact minimums for any character. No character can have Lore 6 until Essence 6.

Elemental Admixture - Should probably cost at least +1m/element, and maybe +2 since some of the elements have particularly devistating elemental effects for most charms (particularly fire and water). Might put some sort of limit on how often it can be purchased. Once per Essence over 3? This would allow someone to max out at Essence 6.

Weather Weaving Discipline - Have you looked at Thaumaturgy's weather manip stuff at all? I haven't, but this may or may not be better than that. Thematically, because of the Thaum aspect, this may be better as an Occult charm. Technically this (and any other Simple charm that takes some amount of time other than 6 ticks) needs to have a speed specified or be listed as Simple (Dramatic Action); just to be rules lawyer-ie. Note that there's no technical definition of "1 level of intensity" for weather, so that may need definition. May want to add a few motes to the cost for the bigger version with the longer activation time.

Terrain Molding Discipline - the radius on this effect seems really small for what is, essentially a dramatic action of crafting the general terrain. Note also that for just crafting Earth there are spells and other charms that are WAY better, particularly since this is Lore6/Essence6 May also be best as Occult, since I imagine Geomancy would be really useful with it, or alternate in Craft since you mention building castles and whatnots with it, and you technically need Craft (Elemental or Earth) to build something like that.

Enlightened Fivefold Awareness
Needs more specification. Is this a 1m commitment to activate the other two charms and keep them on indefinately (which is, frankly, way too strong)? Does it require the normal activation of those charms? Again, I don't have my books, but isn't one of the pre-reqs Instant? If this is 1m commitment to have both pre-reqs up, it might should be Essence 4 or 5 (I don't know what Sorcerer's Burning Chakra Charm's Essence pre-req is, but it's a decent basis for comparison, having a similar effect).

Unquenchable Fiery Spirit - thematically incorrect, Integrity is an Earth aspected ability and its charms mostly should be too. Since I don't have my books, what does the alternate cost for Unconquered Heroes's do? (Isn't it Trascendant Hero's meditation? Whatever)

Ephemeral Unobtainable Flowing Soul - same as above, thematically Integrity charms are Earth aspected. Needs some wording correction, by the book there is no such thing as a 'mental attack'. Should defend against unnatural mental influence and/or natural mental influence and/or social attacks, all of which are technically different, but can potentially overlap. Both this charm and the above charm need to also specify whether this resets the limit track or not and whether it has the effect of restoring Willpower like normal limit break does (ie: is this a normal limit break or is it a limit break-like effect brought on by the charm?)

Elemental Balancing Prana - probably fine, does it need to have a new name? I've just been marking charms as (Celestial version) for ones I paid the extra eepage for.

Unmovable Aura of Stone - as with Integrity charms, Presence is Fire aspected :P Otherwise seems fine. Perfect social may need slightly higher Essence requirement - reference the Solar Linguistics one, I guess (still no books on hand). This has a higher ability requirement and (I think) essence cost, so that may balance it out, plus the penalty. If changed to being fire-aspected the penalty could simply represent flustering oneself to the point where you spend the next attack trying to calm back down or something.

Inevitable Erosion of Will - needs fire thematics, otherwise fine

Flowing, Unbending Structure - probably fine. Cost may be a bit low, but it is committed, plus, like there need to be good bureau charms and stuff.

Sense the False Heart - again, not sure if it needs a new name when its just removing limits. Does this, or the other one, change costs or something else at all?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I will address these issues, and repost for more critique.

One thing of note however, is that charms at this level for your exalt types blend other elements into the various abilities, augmenting and enhancing them (very much a reflection of your nature as celestial dragons). So, the thematic bluring was purposeful and imo, appropriate. Worth considering for other people making charms.

how do you color text differently?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

There's a dropdown just above the textbox you can use to do it. Just highlight the text you want to color and use the dropdown. That said, since we've got a mostly white-ish background, a lot of the colors may be damn near unreadable. If you know anything about Hex Colors, you can also use color=#FF0000 (enclosed by [] brackets). Here's a link to a color chartif you really want to go all out using hex colors.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

OK.

Comment more.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

That's really all I had. I think I may check the weather control thaum rules, but otherwise, that's it. :P
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

cool. anyone else?

if not, i will consider them approved and call amari done.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Space reserved for comment..give a sec work is busy

Edit: they seem cool and extremely power in some cases. My only thing was giving transendant heroes meditation to thses character might be alittle broken. Otherwise I like them.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I glanced over Weather Thaum this charm is way better and, generally, also faster to do.

Surprise anticipation is available to all of the PC Gaians via Air Dragon Style's opening charm, Air Dragon Sight.

As for the others, mostly ok. I still feel like there is an important separation by ability, if not by theme, for several of these, mostly the Chrysalis charm. Even high level charms should not really be crossing ability lines too much, and it really does feel like a Survival charm to me, fluff text not withstanding.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

chrysalis: do survival charms heal? because that is the primary effect, the other is just add on. do you have any other ideas for a replacement that has some sort of other cool effect (in addition to healing agg) that is in theme and more in line with the ability? I'm open to suggestions here.

transcendent heroes med: it is a favorite effect of mine. The gaian version is worse however, as it costs more and throws the individual into a rage afterwords, so i had hoped that would be balancing enough. the other thing is that the buy in on a lot of these charms is fairly steep, usually the third or fourth at least in a given tree.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Well i do think they are out of line, but I would like to know what level of over all power these exalts should able to achieve.

i ment to say i approve of these charms
Last edited by arete on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

around the level of any non-solar celestial exalt.

the essence 6+ charms are universally powerful though, which is what a few of these are.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Sorry i was working. I ment to say I do not think these are out of line.