Your Creation may vary.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OK, so here we go again:

Essence Harvesting Technique: augments spell shattering palm to gain essence, also you gain a separate Essence pool = periperial essence for use with EssenceFire.

Magic Sight=See essence, magic, spirits, spend a will to allow a roll to "learn" a spell.

Casting Stance: Cancels out up to -2 DV due to Shaping

Akuma Destabilizing Strike: Demon Banishment

Spirit Rending Strike: Dmg spirits and gods, kills them dead

Essence Cultivation: Choose 1 virtue, gain that score as additional motes in periperial pool, can be taken for each virtue once

Form: Commit Motes for sorcery and MA as per No Moon, max=lower of MA or Occult, Full Parry DV and can use Reflexive charms when shaping/casting

Casting Time Decrease: spend 1wp and +10m to eliminate one shaping action for any spell.

EssenceFire: Blast 1 creature, 1m/4L, cap=Essence

EssenceFire Cone: Length=Essencex3 yds, Base=Essence yds, 1m/3L Essence cap

EssenceFire Wall: 5m, 1wp, Perfect Parry that can be used to protect against AOE and can protect units not currently in, +2m/magnitude of the Unit, +2m for the area effect enhancement, this needs to be stunted, but can perfect parry Death of Obsidian Butterflies or like effect.

(Steven what are your thoughts of the mechanics of the perfect parry, Cheyne isn't really sure, I could get rid of it but would need a different charm to fill the void, I feel like a shielding charm is appropriate however)

Form Type Enhancer: Adds another Anima Effect: See Damaging portion of VAP from Dark Messiah and/or some sort of Maiden appropriate effects.

I also need suggestions for costs, durations, and the like. One other consideration, since this is an extension of knowledge gained from PAoC I think that you would be able to activate the true Prismate Arrangement of Creation form and active this MA's Form as well gaining the benefit of all of them (paying for all of them that you activate still of course), it makes sense fluff-wise, does it work Mechanically????
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

As per Cheyne, the PAoC Form enhancer is to be part of the FormType Enhancer.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

::bump, bump, bump, bump:: Any comments anyone?
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Amseriah wrote:Essence Harvesting Technique: augments spell shattering palm to gain essence, also you gain a separate Essence pool = periperial essence for use with EssenceFire.
How do you gain essence? Do you gain all of the essence or some fraction? Is there a roll to gain this essence?
Magic Sight=See essence, magic, spirits, spend a will to allow a roll to "learn" a spell.
I would recommend that this be All Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight with the addition of the chance to obviate training time for spells as noted.
Casting Stance: Cancels out up to -2 DV due to Shaping
This is actually a bit too weak for an SMA style unless its like Permanent or something.
Akuma Destabilizing Strike: Demon Banishment
:thumbup: - Just remember to include mechanics :P
Spirit Rending Strike: Dmg spirits and gods, kills them dead
Might want to provide some sort of bonus either to hit or damage, as the basic effect is available much more readily with cheaper and easier to learn charms.
Essence Cultivation: Choose 1 virtue, gain that score as additional motes in periperial pool, can be taken for each virtue once
Many Exalts (all, actually) have virtues as a part of their mote calculations already. Does this increase that even more? If so, that's fine.
Form: Commit Motes for sorcery and MA as per No Moon, max=lower of MA or Occult, Full Parry DV and can use Reflexive charms when shaping/casting
Does this allow for all reflexive charms or only defensive ones? For example, could you use a Counterattack charm?
Casting Time Decrease: spend 1wp and +10m to eliminate one shaping action for any spell.
Exceptionally powerful. Might consider jumping the cost up to 15m or even 20m. It is not uncommon for high level sidereal charms to be very expensive.
EssenceFire: Blast 1 creature, 1m/4L, cap=Essence
Is there a to-hit roll? If so, what does it use? What is the range? If this is a Simple charm it also needs a Speed and DV penalty (or just 'Simple' which defaults to 6 ticks and -2 DV)
EssenceFire Cone: Length=Essencex3 yds, Base=Essence yds, 1m/3L Essence cap
I honestly feel like this and the above aren't very strong for SMA charms, especially if they're Essence 6 or 7. Might glance over Charcoal March of Spiders and Citrine Poxes of Contagion's Essence 6 and 7 charms for an idea of the sorts of crazy scope involved in charms at this tier (CPoC has a charm that lets you hit the air in order to inflict aggrevated damage via ripples in creation with a range that increases by MILES for every action that you continue to use it for; CMoS has a charm that allows you to hit someone and reshape them into a different type of creature or to launch a leaping ranged attack at anyone you can see, or to simultaneously attack everyone you can see).
EssenceFire Wall: 5m, 1wp, Perfect Parry that can be used to protect against AOE and can protect units not currently in, +2m/magnitude of the Unit, +2m for the area effect enhancement, this needs to be stunted, but can perfect parry Death of Obsidian Butterflies or like effect.

(Steven what are your thoughts of the mechanics of the perfect parry, Cheyne isn't really sure, I could get rid of it but would need a different charm to fill the void, I feel like a shielding charm is appropriate however)
Applicibility trumping perfect defenses (ie: any perfect defense that includes the text "This charm can even parry/dodge/soak attacks that are normally un-parry/dodge/soak-able" are wide-reaching effects that typically offer universal protection without the need for extra expendature. I would suggest dropping the WP cost from the charm at all (since this is a high-essence SMA charm). Some of the mass combat stuff needs more clarification before any sort of ruling. If the character is the leader of a unit, he can simply use the charm to avoid the damage without any extra charm text. If the intent is that he can use the charm as a Sorcerer attached to the unit, the text needs to express that. Tacking on 1m/magnitude of the unit is probably sufficient for this purpose with no aoe cost (if it is applicibility-trumping, this is sort of redundant).
Form Type Enhancer: Adds another Anima Effect: See Damaging portion of VAP from Dark Messiah and/or some sort of Maiden appropriate effects.
Needs work :P
I also need suggestions for costs, durations, and the like. One other consideration, since this is an extension of knowledge gained from PAoC I think that you would be able to activate the true Prismate Arrangement of Creation form and active this MA's Form as well gaining the benefit of all of them (paying for all of them that you activate still of course), it makes sense fluff-wise, does it work Mechanically????
I think this can be represented by including the text "This Form counts as one facet of the Prismatic Arrangement of Creation for the purposes of that style's form-type charm." With the intent that it can be activated alongside all of the other PAoC forms.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Thanks! I am going to work on it over the next couple of days, you basically confirmed some of what I already thought. I will post further updates.

One of the changes that I am going to make is that the Mage sight IS going to be All-Encompassing Sorceror's Sight with the spell learning addendum, also I think that this should be a permanent effect.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I dunno about permanent. You might want to consider making it sort of like the Sorcerer's Burning Chakra Charm. Its automatic at 4-8 motes spent and you can commit 1 mote to keep it on with some sort of drawback (like your caste mark always burning while the mote is committed). That said, this is also high enough essence that you can probably dispense with the drawback and just have the 1m commitment
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Alright that works.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Alright, here we go again, I have been thinking about things and I am streamlining it a bit more, taking some of the stuff that seemed extreneous out and putting in some different things. I am also making an attempt at upping the level of it so it is a real sma rather than a cma. I am still going to use generic names right now as I am having trouble coming up with really cool sounding charm names...

New Keyword: Essence
This martial art introduces a new type of charm. An Essence charm in one in which the martial artist is manipulating Essence at its most pure form, not channeling it through pre-formed paths as with other Charms or shaping it as with Sorcery.

Essence Sight
Cost:-; Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 4; Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Varies
Prerequisite Charms: One complete Celestial Martial Art, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation
This acts exactly as a Solar's All-Encompassing Sorcerer's Sight with the Sorcerer's Burning Chakra Charm, save that activating it does not automatically cause the martial artist's cast mark to burn when activated, also upon witnessing a sorcerer casting a spell the martial artist can reflexively spend a wp to memorize the pattern that the sorcerer was creating. This allows the MA to learn the spell upon spending the xp necessary without the need to spend time learning or researching it.

Essence Harvesting Technique
Cost:-; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6
Type: Permanent
Keywords: Obvious, Supplemental, Essence
Duration: Instant, Permanent (secondary Essence Pool)
Prerequisite Charms: One Complete Celestial Martial Art, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation
This charm supplements Spell Shattering Palm found in Prismatic Arrangement of Creation. When a spell is successfully shattered using that charm, the Martial Artist rolls his (Occult + Essence) allowing him to gain a number of Essence=successes up to the cost of the spell shattered. Using this charm negates the backlash normally associated with a failed/dispelled spell. The martial artist also gains access to a secondary Essence pool equal to his peripheral Essence, this can only be used to power charms with the Essence Keyword.

Essence Stealing Strike (NEW CHARM!)
Cost: 2m; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6;
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Combo-OK, Touch, Obvious
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: One Complete Celestial Martial Art, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation
When a martial artist makes an attack supplemented by this charm, he steals Essence from his opponent. He steals a number of Essence equal to his Permanent Essence. His opponent loses this Essence exactly as if he had spent it. If this is used on a sorcerer in the midst of casting then you add the martial artist's Permanent Essence to the damage inflicted as the external penalty on the socerer's distraction check.

Spirit Rending Assault
Cost: 8m; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6;
Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious
Duration: One Scene

When this charm is activated spirits, demons, gods, ect are valid targets for attack whether they are materialized or not. All attacks made against such targets inflict aggravated damage, and steals a number of Essence from the target equal to the martial artist's Permanent Essence. The attack also benefits from the martial artists Permanent Essence in automatic successes to hit.

Essence Cultivation
Cost:-; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6;
Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: One Complete Celestial Martial Art, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation, Essence Sight, Essence Harvesting Technique
The martial artist gains an additional number of motes equal to 1 of his virtues added to his peripheral essence pool. He now counts that virtue twice in calculating his essence pool. This charm may be taken 4 times, once for each virtue.

Ultimate Combat-caster's Form
Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6
Type: Form-type
Keywords: Obvious
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisite Charms: One Complete Celestial Martial Art, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation, Essence Sight, Essence Harvesting Technique, Essence Stealing Strike, Spirit Rending Assault, Essence Cultivation.
The martial artist can commit motes to spells and martial arts charms as per the No Moon ability with the following change, the max number of essence committed in this fashion can't exceed the lower of the character's martial arts or occult. The caster also gains the benefit of his full parry dv even while casting and no longer takes a penalty to his dv when taking shaping actions, and is allowed to use Reflexive charms while taking Shaping or Casting actions (this is all reflexive charms including counterattacks). Finally this form acts as one aspect of Prismatic Arrangement of Creation for the purposes of that style's form-type charm.

I will work on the rest of this later, should be able to have it up by Saturday evening. Please look at the changes as well as the mechanics (cost, duration, type, ect, and the actual game mechanics) and let me know what you think.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OK here is some more, but still not the complete style....any comments would be appreciated.

The Secondary Peripheral pool comes with an anima banner that activates as the pool fills up. This banner can also be activated at will by spending 5m. It acts as the Fire Aspected banner except it causes aggravated damage instead of lethal. When the pool reaches 1/2 full the character's eyes begin to flicker with the raging fire of pure Essence and his skin becomes flush, the character needs to succeed at a willpower roll diff of 1 or else that Essence erupts forth in this anima banner. When the pool reaches 3/4 full the character's skin is hot to the touch and one can see the fire burning in his eyes, at this level it is obvious that the character is supernatural of some sort, the diff to prevent eruption is 3 on a willpower roll. At totally full the character actually has flames that dance along his skin, hair, and shoot out of his eyes, the difficulty to prevent eruption is 5 on a will roll, the character can also spend 1 wp to supress the effects of the banner for one scene (both the possibility of eruption and the visual effects). The character can also spend motes as normal to bring this pool down to safer levels.

Heal
Cost: 30m, 2wp; Mins: Martial Arts 7, Essence 7;
Type: Simple
Keywords: Essence, Obvious
Prerequisite Charms: All of PAoC, All charms preceding this in the style
The character uses pure Essence to perfectly replicate a pattern. The character uses the Essence of the object or person as both fuel and mold for this Charm, literally tearing the person down to pure Essence and then reconstructing it from entirely anew from the pre-existing pattern. This acts as Perfect Reconstruction Method from Citrine Poxes of Contagion Style, except that it is a perfect effect and flushes all disease, poison, and drugs as wellThis can be used on living beings and on inanimate objects including artifacts except in the case of an artifact the MA must have the appropriate skill to create it.

Item De-attuning Method
Cost: 10m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 7, Essence 7;
Type: Supplemental/Reflexive
Prerequisite Charms: blah
This charm has multiple uses, first it can be used as a Reflexive defense against attack, second it can be used to Supplement an attack made by the character. The character rips the Essence out of a weapon or armor, utterly destroying it if it is mundane, or de-attuning it if it is an Artifact, if the weapon or the armor are virtual effects as the result of a charm it cancels the charm. The roll to use this charm is the character's MA + Per at a difficulty = artifact rating or Essence requirement of the victim's charm if it is a charm being deactivated. The character gains a number of Essence = attunement cost, or activation cost. If this charm is used against de-attuned artifacts the item is destroyed as if it were a mundane item, except the character gains a number of Essence = Artifact ratingx2.

If this charm is being used as a defense the attack and is successful, the attack fails to successfully hit the character.

Manse De-Attuning Technique
Cost: 30m, 1wp; Mins: Martial Arts 7, Essence 7;
Type: Simple;
Prerequisite Charms: blah+1
The character has 2 options when activating this charm.
1) The character can claim a manse or desmense as his own. When standing in the hearthstone room he rolls his MA + Per against a diff of the level of the manse. If successful the character purges the manse of all previous attunements. The sudden backlash of power causes any hearthstone produced by this manse to shatter, and begin to reform in the hearthstone chamber immediately. The character can attune himself to the Manse/Desmense afterwards as normal.
2) The character can use this charm against an individual de-attuning that person from all manses he is currently attuned to. The roll to do this is MA+Per at a diff of the victim's Essence. Any hearthstones carried by the victim shatter.

This is still incomplete, there are still a few charms left in this style. Thoughts so far?
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

2 thoughts worth posting

Does anyone else think the form type charm should not count as a poac charm? I think adding another form type charm from another ma, regardless of its intent to expand on some of the abilities, defeats the limiter on an already very power form type charm. I do not want to set a president of being able to add to the amount of buffs you can stack into poac.

You should not be able to destroy artifacts, but other wise i like that attack.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Still need to read over some more, but I wanted to comment on the artifact destruction thing.

There's already several precidents for destroying artifacts in the game, particularly in the martial arts. Earth Dragon Style has one such charm.

Going to lunch now. Will read over in more detail later.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

That is cool. I talked with paul and the break is fine.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

I completely forgot about that Earth Dragon charm...that is better in some ways than this charm...do you think that this parry charm serves a purpose? Should it do something else, or should it be removed?
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Essence Blast
Cost: 2m/5 agg; Mins: Martial Arts 6, Essence 6;
Type: Simple
Prerequisite Charms: One Celestial Martial Arts, Prismatic Arrangement of Creation, blah

This is the only true attack within the Martial Art, but it is deadly, in fact few have ever survived it's effects. The Martial Artist fires a bolt of pure fiery Essence at his foes. It's range is line-of-sight or perception. The roll to hit with this bolt is the character's Martial Arts + Dex, adding Permanent Essence as automatic successes. When this bolt hits it causes 5 dice of aggravated damage per 2m spent, the Martial artist can spend up to his (Essence x2) motes in this attack, which cannot be soaked by armor (in fact it turns any non-magical material into slag). This attack sets up a chain reaction igniting the victims Essence. Every action after the initial attack the victim takes 1/2 the original damage dice as aggravated damage for a number of actions = his Permanent Essence. All damage caused by this attack also burns the victims essence using it as fuel. For every point of damage dealt the victim also loses 1m of essence as though he had spent it. A victim killed in this blast experiences the effects of the spell Unconquerable Self (White Treatise, pg 66) in regards to the fate of his body, soul, and Exaltation.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Requirements are to low. They should ma 7 and e7. I also think the charm does to much damage I would feel better about if it did 2motes per 2dice of damage & did not have the reoccurring damage effect.