Your Creation may vary.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

It's meant to be an instakill and is actually weaker than the Jumping Spider Strike in effect. The prereqs for that are Essence 6 and MA 6, with that charm the ma jumps possibly miles to attack his target, it does damage normally adding Essence as auto successes to the damage roll, the victim must make a Stam + Resist roll diff the MA Essence, if that roll fails the victim has six ticks to have someone magically heal 1 or more health levels of damage or he dies....period. Even if he is healed the character is incapacitated, inactive, and loses one dot of permanent Stamina.....

Really mine is nicer. Mine just does a shitload of agg damage that has a chance of being soaked with the correct charms and also relies upon a damage dice roll.

Water Spider Bite is also extremely nasty MA 6, Essence 6, and Pattern Spider Touch completely and permanently changes what the person is up to and including completely killing the target. It can also insta kill a primordial turning it instantly into a Neverborn. that is also just a MA 6, Essence 6 charm....

Would you rather I just turn this into an insta kill and model it after those previous charms?
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Part of the problem I see with it is that it does not actually move you to the target, despite its large range, which the others do. It makes it exceptionally hard to retaliate against. As a second point, if armor cannot be used to soak the damage, then the damage is functionally unsoakable without a perfect soak effect (some charms do grant agg soak, but given the huge amount of damage this does, they don't matter). There needs to be some additional chance of defense. Immunity to shaping effects, or some resistance to them, nullifies Pattern Spider Bite. I would rule also that given its effects, Jumping Spider Strike should be a Crippling effect, since it reduces an attribute and describes the effect of being crippled.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I think you under value agg damage. It can do more damage if armor soaks it, but I think the armor bypass is fair given the effect. You do not need any additional damage beyond the amount I listed for this charm to be effective, because of its unsoakable nature.

I did say 2m per 2 dice, but in retrospec I also like 1m per 1dice with a 3x essence cap. Either way the effect should be limited to 20-30 agg(which tranlates to 40-60 lethal ruffy speaking) which an instant kill most of the time.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

arete wrote:
I did say 2m per 2 dice, but in retrospec I also like 1m per 1dice with a 3x essence cap. Either way the effect should be limited to 20-30 agg(which tranlates to 40-60 lethal ruffy speaking) which an instant kill most of the time.
you do know that this is actually less effective, aside from the bypass and agg damage, than the elemental blast DB effect with essence 2 lore 2 prereqs right? It seems a siddie style with huge pre-reqs, and other charms with outlandish effects for precedent, would be a bit better than 1m:1d.

To further balance the secondary damage, and to add oomph in the case that the charm is nerfed in editing, you could convert the damage to lethal, but make it take effect even if the attack does not damage the target on the first round.

Another way of balancing the secondary effect is to call the recurring damage a shaping effect, and have the primary effect occur as normal.

You could also shorten the range to something around powerbow range.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Leave the damage cap and give it a 1m:2d then. I do not like the secondary damage. Shorten the range makes the secondary effect fine.

The reason I say lower the m:d ratio is that its a ranged attack, but I highly value range. Honrstly the m:d matters less than the accual damage done.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OK, the range for the blast is 350 and the secondary damage is Lethal rather than Agg, but takes effect even if the initial attack fails/misses.

(edited so that secondary damage was not shaping, I really didn't like that as I felt as though the nature of the damage was not actually Shaping the victim's essence but was igniting it)