Your Creation may vary.
Thael
Lost Knight

Reference material

Post by Thael »

I moved avatar to the upper portions of my netflix if anyone wants to borrow them while I have them for reference material... the first season has all 4 elements displayed to varying degrees (I love the really old and even more CRAZY earth master)... 2nd or 3rd adds a main character with earth element finally to complete the set but I don't see steven playing anything even remotely similar to her... wood is likely going to be on their own for ideas but they could steal ideas from comics easily enough (speedy, hawkeye, green arrow, etc)
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

half way through with earth. good so far. i want zuko to grow up though, and aang to be less irritating. when he was first found he was a bit more likable imo, then they made him into a more standard protagonist.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

when I come over tonight for exalted Remind me to borrow some of these so I can watch them
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

if you read the boards, you will see that steven has moved his game to thursday night because of the holiday, so that we can play longer.

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

hmm, don't know if I will be in town to play tomorrow.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

For reference, I found a list of all of the charms with the Elemental keyword. Keep in mind that some of these have pre-reqs that do not have that keyword, so it'd be up to our glorious storyteller to determine if we're allowed to buy/use those charms.

Elemental Charms
Lore
Elemental Empowerment Meditation
Elemental Succor Method
Elemental Bolt Attack
Elemental Burst Technique

Thrown
Deadly Blades of the Five Dragons
Elemental Armor Technique

Resistance
Elemental Protection Form

War
Enfolded in the Dragon's Wings
Phantom-Warrior Horde
Dragon-Seared Battlefield
Dragon Vortex Attack

Dodge
Elemental Defense Technique
Unassailable Body of Element Defense

Melee
Dragon-Graced Weapon
Refining the Inner Blade

Presence
Terrifying Element Dragon Roar

Martial Arts (This is one of the normal DB 'expansion' charms)
Dragon-Claw Elemental Strike

Archery
Dragon-Graced Arrow

Ride
Five-Dragon Horseman Prana

Survival
Elemental Shelter Creation Technique
Extension of the Element Dragon's Blessing
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Kind of a neat thread I found on RPG.net's forums of an Actual Play of Avatar using what is, essentially, a home-brew system for the game.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=399317

A nice excerpt from their interpretation of what the dice rolled to what actually happens:
Another common chorus in play was, "Kids' Show!" to avoid death, maimings, blood, on-screen sex, and anything else that normally wouldn't make it into a usual episode of Avatar.

e.g.
"OK, Kuruk's Water Blade cuts the poor Firebender in half."
"Kids' Show!"
"OK, it just freezes him to a tree."
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

lols

rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=79133

i may use the charms linked in this thread, if anyone cares. what you guys think?

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I've been watching hls's styles for a while now, I think they're pretty good in general, but I'd need to read through the styles again before I could say anything specific about those. The Sword Saint-esque style I posted in the other thread was also written by him, called the Wind-Cutting Blade Style.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

these seem to be a bit more elemental. which i like for this game.

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

Well as far as the style I would be likely to deal with (or not) I have a few comments

HURRICANE FIST STYLE
http://forums.white-wolf.com/viewtopic.php?t=76344
Cloud-Shrouded Strike
...Re-calculate the target's applicable Defense Value using the lower of the normally-used Ability, or Awareness
So this basically forces someone to use Awareness but only if lower otherwise it has no effect??
Anabatic Parry Method
The martial artist steps into an attack, pushing his Essence out to meet it as he raises his arms to block. This manifests as a great burst of wind that buffets the attacker. If a parry enhanced by this Charm manages to completely block an attack, then the attacker is immediately knocked back 2 yards for every success by which he fell short of the martial artist's Parry DV.
Is it just me or is this forgetting to list the benefits to the parry itself. Seems kind of a waste to spend motes and hope that your Parry succeeds to get a knockback effect.
Heaving Sirocco Strike
... If an attack supplemented by this Charm strikes a target, regardless of whether it inflicts any damage, the target's DVs are all lowered by 1 until they next refresh.
Doesn't this happen with each attack anyways? Maybe I am missing something but each attack on someone lowers their DV normally doesn't it?
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I'll comment on each of your questions individually:
So this basically forces someone to use Awareness but only if lower otherwise it has no effect??
That is correct. This totally hoses a lot of people who may be combat-capable, but have low Awarness. It practically cuts average DV's in half. It also means that they can't apply a (Melee/MA/Dodge) excellency to the DV, and must instead use an Awarness excellency, since its an awareness dice pool at that point. I'm not sure about other defensive charms, I'd have to say case-by-case.
Is it just me or is this forgetting to list the benefits to the parry itself. Seems kind of a waste to spend motes and hope that your Parry succeeds to get a knockback effect.
Nope, the charm's effect is to enhance your normal parry (ie: your free DV action) by including a knockback. This basically makes it sort of a backwards flurry-breaker (which normally makes you jump away). You didn't list it here, but this charm is probably reflexive, which means that it only costs you some motes, and you can still use some other defense-enhancing charm with it because of DB's free-reflexives. If this doesn't seem very powerful, remember that this is a Terrestrial Martial Arts style, and usually the charms aren't going to be Heavenly Guardian Defense cool.
Doesn't this happen with each attack anyways? Maybe I am missing something but each attack on someone lowers their DV normally doesn't it?
This is actually pretty sick. You do inflict an onslaught penalty, but unless there is a coordinated attack the penality you inflict only affects you. Your target still gets their normal DV against anyone else. With this charm, however, every hit you make (which is different than every hit you attempt) makes it easier for -everyone- to hit that target until that target acts again.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

so not nearly as bad as first appears... although I still think it should add something to up the chance of the parry on that one charm... if they are already beating your parry it is useless... it is reflexive step 2 but what step is 3rd Excellency and could you use both on the same attack??
My Color is Blue
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

3rd is step 5 or something. So don't use it, throw in First Ex or something instead. Roll some dice and hope for the best.