Your Creation may vary.
arete
Lost Knight

Books I should buy

Post by arete »

I have arranged to sell all of my 3.5 dnd, which books should i purchase?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

core
lunar
oadenal's codex
wonders of the first age
dragonblooded
abysal
scroll of the monk 1&2
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

In general I agree you're going to get the most utility out of the core book, especially as a Solar non-caster non-crafter.

Oadenal's codex is one of the most useful books I've bought, both for its mass of hearthstones, but also for the artifacts and artifact and manse creation rules.
Scroll of the Monk is also one of the more useful, simply because this book contains the majority of martial arts styles currently in print.

Lunar, Abyssal and Dragonblooded books are only useful if you're playing characters of those types, or need to make NPCs of the same.

I may be investing in some of the setting books, but a great deal of those are GM setting stuff, unless you're just looking to flesh out your character's home or someting. In particular most of the Celestial Direction books are only useful to very specific groups of players (Wyld is useful for Lunars, Yu-Shan is useful for Sidereals, Blessed Isle is useful for Dragonblooded).

I'm a fan of the Roll of Glorious Divinity, myself, but its also really only useful for providing a lot of NPCs and rules for creating them. It focuses on small gods and elementals.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I have recieved most of the books you listed, and the rest are on the way. I will start reading them after i get done with DND 4th ed
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I am going to buy more exalted books, and I was wanting suggestions. I am thinking the sorc books 2,4, and 5 plus the box set.
psn: aretepolitic
Steam: aretepolitic
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Honestly, the box set is only really useful for high power games, or if you're generally interested in the First Age setting.

The Sorcery books are all pretty useful, given that they're stuffed full of mechanics. Just to reiterate: Book 4 is Gods and Elementals and Book 5 is Demons and Ghosts.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

if you want to run, then the direction books, esp wyld, blessed isle, and underworld, are all important. but if not, they are worthless to you, except as fluff reading.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

K ty.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

Ordered dreams of the 1st age, plus underworld, yu shan, and the wild.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I am eagerly awaiting Malfeas. Its the only direction book I've actively wanted. I'm hoping it has Kimberry charms and more info on some of the other Yozis and some new demons.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

I am going to reserve it. I hope it is as awesome as the infernals book.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

This seems like a fairly good place to put this: I've got Malfeas now. It's pretty solid so far. I've only read about a third of it at this point, but it really fleshes out Hell in ways that haven't really been addressed in the game previously.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

My copy should be in the mail