Your Creation may vary.
arete
Lost Knight

System questions

Post by arete »

Is there anyway to keep a player from regaining essence?
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

Immaculate Order monks that study/know Water Dragon Style can steal essence... their may be other theft charms but I doubt blockage charms exist... well maybe sidereal but still I doubt it...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Yes and no. Essence regain from hearthstones or the Cult background will function as long as you are in Creation or Yu-Shan. Hearthstones will cut off in Malfeas (the demon realm) or the Underworld (land of the dead), but Cult will continue to function. Cult finally cuts out if you go too deeply into the Wyld.

Normal Essence recovery (which the book refers to ask respiring, like breathing) occurs only if you're relatively rested. If you're taking in a play, engaging in casual conversation, reading, or something similarly unengaging you regain 4 motes per hour. If you're doing something fantasticly relaxing, like sleeping or getting a good massage, you get 8 per hour back. Any more strenuous activity (any sort of travel outside the scope of 'next door', excepting possibly a pleasent stroll, combat, active debate, performances, research (lab style), or the like) prevents Essence respiration entirely. Such characters do still regain Essence from hearthstones and Cult normally. Essence respiration does not occur in the Underworld (unless you're a ghost or Abyssal) while, likewise, ghosts and Abyssals cannot respire the living essence of Creation (hence Cheyne's reason for pretty much requiring a hearthstone). Yu-Shan is functionally Creation for Essence recovery purposes, and Essence recovers normally in Malfeas and in the sections of the Wyld closer to Creation.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

so jason just pointed out to me that reflexives are 'free' in that u can use any number of them... this means many combos are suddenly unnecessary correct?

excellencies in any combo r pointless, dodge charms can be used together w/out combos, etc? this is awesomeness, and I was apparently misenterpreting this before.

this correct?
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

For the most part, yes. With this rule, Combos are only needed for Simple, Extra Action, and Supplimental Charms. I am considering charging 1wp per action in which a perfect defense is used, but I won't actually do that yet, unless it looks like it is required for balance purposes.

Edit: The reason for this rule is to prevent high level combat from requiring a combo to be used in every round, which it normally is. Such combos generally require perfect defenses, anti-suprise, and excellency charms and will usually throw in one or two supplimental or extra action charms while they're at it. I find such combo spamming to be retarded as it detracts from the true purpose of the combo: To be your OMGWTFBBQ TOTAL DETH UBER ATTACK FINISHING MOVE.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

coolness. so suplementals still require combo though?

and can u combo a simple charm if it doesn't say combo ok? ( I haven't seen any that say it is why I ask)

also, read the capstone for dark messiah and explain it to me @ some point, as it sounds freaking broken as hell, and k want to know if i'm right.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Yes, supplemental charms require a combo.

In general, no, if a charm doesn't have Combo-OK, or Combo-Basic, it cannot be put into a combo at all.

I'll re-read that style when I get to Edmond. It probably is broken, pinacle MA charms are like that, because of the insane number of pre-requisites.

I highly suggest reading the combo rules in the Exalted core book, they'll explain most of the things about creating combos.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

I did. but I was unsure on a few things, esp w/the new rule ur using. and the suplemental powers seemed like they were meant to be used w/other actions/charms, thus my confusion.

Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

for the game on 6/4/08 steven said we gain 8 xp.. Just so people don't forget
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Correct, those present gain 8 exp, 'cept for Haley who gets 7 for leaving a bit early.
arete
Lost Knight

Post by arete »

how late did the game go?

I am sorry I couldn't make it, but stuff came up last min.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

We stopped at roughly midnight, a litte later maybe.
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Yeah when we play on the weekdays you can count on us ending at around midnight since Steven, Thael, and myself all have to be up ass early in the morning for work.
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

In review, Void Avatar Prana, the capstone charm of Dark Mesiah Style, does not work and will need a serious re-working before it does.

If you'd like to know why it doesn't work, just look at its duration.

It's certainly not the only charm to be terribly broken (Soft Presence Practice, a Sidereal Stealth Charm, is similarly broken due to its total lack of Keywords). The text describing the effect is self contradictory and is far too powerful for an Essence 4 effect, besides. If it is ever to be actually used in my game it will need some serious reworking.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

k...

any fix ideas? it was in the plans at some point. though a ways off certainly.