Vampire: Dark Ages by chris

Moderator: durden

rydi
Site Admin

General OOC discussion for Chris' Game

Post by rydi »

read this. the sheets will be useful for people i think.

viewtopic.php?p=335#335
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

These are awesome. I should require them. I'll use them myself for NPCs. Good find.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

do you have any links to info on priests in italy or germany in period? i'm thinking of playing a villager that was apprenticed out to the local priest. since at that time, priests were only slightly better educated than those they proselytized to, and hardly knew enough latin to pronounce the words, i don't think this will get too much in the way with me playing a stupid peasant, but would add some interesting motivation and background.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I have nothing special you couldn't find with google. As the semester ends, I intend to do a lot more research on such things though. There are some awesome books out there. My favorite is Religion and the Decline of Magic. I think it's oop, so it may be too difficult to find.

As for the average parish priest, yeah they sucked. Almost no latin or real learning. Most did not even have access to their own bible. They would have to travel for such things.

It would be nifty for you to live in the Italian village just two miles from The Abbey. Solves the problem of how you got there and lets you be the first Cainite others encounter. The Town is a small fishing community populated by descendants of disserting Crusaders and before that, displaced Franks. There will be more info when I write it, but it is a nice simple place. Technically, this area is under the sphere of Venice. As for now, the great city has no interest in the region...
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

that works. i'll try to give a background soon. what were we doing tomorrow? i'm bringining you dark ages stuff, wwz, anything else? oh, christmas present. that needs must wait i think. the last clear coat needs to be applied i think. was that all?

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Think that's it. I will be in Norman right around 4pm. We can meet down the strret and drive over to OU to hang out. A nice place with couches upstairs in the Ed building. Was I supposed to bring stuff? I'll bring my pretty new computer. It's pretty and new.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

u run vista? i was told my p.harddrive has a virus, but if you run vista it shouldn't affect it. and i cleaned the drive off once anyway. and then i can bring you some stuff.

i have class until 345/350 tomorrow, but will head down there asap after.

i don't think you were supposed to bring anything.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Cool. I have until 7pm. I do in fact have Vista. Given the time, we might meet off cmapus instead. There's a Borders or some such store off the highway. IHOP and other things too. I don't care really. We can work it out tomorrow. I'll be there at 4. Guess I can run some errands while waiting.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

cool. pudu. i shouldn't be too long, barring the unforseen. i just have to get from edmond to norman. borders is a nice meet place, or ihop if you are interested in splitting food. anything with a small sized proteinish food source would be good. i'm trying to lose weight, and thus am eating every few hours in small quantities.

Alpha Phoenix
Knight

Player join request for the DM :)

Post by Alpha Phoenix »

Hi everyone! I have a question for the GM...Chris, I was wondering if there was any room for one more player in your upcoming completely-online adventure for WoD ;-). I have to admit, I am not very up-to-date on the rules for Vampire; I have not played in several years. If any of you have any advice on how to get caught up quick, w/o having a hardcopy of the rulebooks on hand, I would be very grateful :-D. But, if there is room, and you all are willing to take in a player who is fuzzy with the rules, I would *love* to join this game. I have already heard Gideon's character concept, and I think it's *amazing*. I have a few ideas of my own for a character concept, but I would like to refresh my knowledge of the rules before actually elaborating them. Thanks~!

"It's always darkest before the dawn..."
--ओमार श्री बुद्धु
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I think we can fit another in. Cheyne has all the books you'll need. Please share your ideas.

Oh, and who the hecks are you?
Alpha Phoenix
Knight

Post by Alpha Phoenix »

That's great! I will obtain copies from Cheyne or Gideon. I *really* do not want to go into detail with my character concept now (i.e. statistics and features), because I remember so little of the rules of character creation in Vampire that I would likely end up putting my foot into my mouth and so far down my throat that it'd get lodged in my guts :-P. I believe this would be painful...

I am willing to say that I was thinking my character would originate from Egypt. He would be born in the time of Pharaoh Hatshepsut's reign (circa 1485 BC - 1458 BC), in the ancient city of Helipolis. I am, in between studying the nerves of the cervical plexus and trying to keep afloat in other courses, penning a history for this character. The Italian-Hindu motif of Gideon's character really thrilled me because a. I *love* Italian culture (and esp. cuisine :-D...some of my closest friends are Italian and so I've had many an opportunity to try authentic Italian cuisine, not just in restaurants), and b. I *am* Hindu (although my name belies this fact, as does my actual knowledge of Hinduism, which is decidedly sparse :-(). But, ancient Egypt has always fascinated me. Maybe it has something to do with the allure and mystery of that civilization...I know it is also in part due to the fact that my totem mythological creature (phoenix) is derived form ancient Egyptian mythology :-). When I am finished fleshing out the history (and name) of my character, I will post both on the boards. Should I post them on this thread?

--ओमार श्री बुद्धु
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

It's funny that again, Cheyne is the only one looking to play a standard boring character. As always, I'm sure he'll find the most to do. Brilliant the way he does it. In being so bland, he has so much potential and so many options to explore.

Go ahead and post character ideas under the Character Creation thread. Being Egyptian, you might consider being a Follower of Set. Some neat things can be done with those guys and they have a cool discipline.

I totally understand the school thing. I have several papers to turn in soon and a research project to uhm, begin. This has been my most hectic semester. At least I start my phd studies in the fall. We all know they don't do anything.
Alpha Phoenix
Knight

Post by Alpha Phoenix »

LMAO...of course, Ph.D.'s do absolutely nothing! I remember going to work with Dad when I was 7-yrs-old and watching him do absolutely nothing in his lab with his colleagues...it looked like a heck of a lot of work to me :-P.

What field are you pursuing your doctorate in, may I ask? Good luck with it!

Don't feel bad about not starting that school project of yours; Gideon and I have a paper due on Friday that determines 90% of one of our course grades (the course is called Doctor, Patient, & Society...or DPS for short, and is a clinical protocol/ethics/sociology/epidemiology course that may be taken as a "fluff" course, compared to the other hardcore science-courses in our curriculum, but really is the first foundations of our clinical knowledge), and I haven't even started it yet! I am going to start (and hopefully get a good ways through) it tomorrow...er...today, though! :-D

--ओमार श्री बुद्धु
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

My field is Education. So I'll be the type of doctor that makes no money. I am looking at teaching a course, possibly next semester. I think it'll be fun. A couple of my friends up there teach and I'm better than them, dammit...