Vampire: Dark Ages by chris

Moderator: durden

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Did I make you feel disconnected? DO I have to have Cheyne kick you in the ballsack? Why didn't he stop? I told him I'd shoot, but he didn't believe me. Why didn't he believe me??
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i've used single story threads before, on the d&d boards, but too often they slowed down to a crawl waiting for people. the extra threads let people do varied stuff without waiting so much on people, and they also let you work outside of a party. and they keep things more organized imo.

oh, and chris, i was in fact serious. i don't remember what my character has, i lost the sheet, and haven't been keeping track of xp. i've just been playing. you spend the glorious xp for me.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

lol. i backed it up this time. you already mentioned you wanted crafts.

mike, can you remind us how much xp i've handed out? at least 15 plus some other number. I may have been stingy so far. Bad GM.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

Post by Guardiankrillin »

I recieved 20 counting the xp for studying under Berro and You IMed me with an additional 5 for so fervent posting. So I assume Cheyne is equal with me or a little more.

He recieved the same 20 since he studied under Salvatore and the glazier not sure if there was any under the table xp here but Cheyne was active before I joined in so I assume he had atleast 5 prior to that.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

I never rolled for instruction. Thanks for reminding me.

Uhm, remind me again what is was you were training for. For Cheyne I'll say Crafts and Animal Kin. Marco was willing to tutor you guys on things like academics, theology, and things like seneschal.

Mike, as I remember, you have offered to learn under Renardo and Pollox. They can teach you a number of things. Medicine from the herbalist. I just rolled 3 successes on your next rank in Medicine, so you should mark down -3 for the next dot, which can't go below 1. So, it will cost you one whole eep to go to rank 2. Don't have to buy it now and the discount remains till you do. We abused this so much in the OKC game.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i thought you were using the x next level not x current lvl... this makes my unlife far more productive.

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

huh? current level x ___.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

This was directed to Mario
durden wrote:“Marco stops by several hours later, as you struggle to bend a small bar back into place with a pair of heavy tongs. It will be some time, you imagine, before you are ready to work in the back with the flames. The portly monk lifts the fabric of his habit up as the ends skirt the dirty floor. He bows slightly to Brother Michael, you immediately returns to his work cutting small, circular pieces of glass from a large pane. You suddenly imagine the ruddish skin of Marco bursting, spraying the room with the copious amounts of blood he seems to carry. He seems to notice your close observance, as he sits near you on an open stole and adjusts his habit again near the neck where it has grown tight ::

“Curse of the blood. The condition you noticed. Our clans curse of hideousness, showing the scars of our soul on the surface. I have welcomed Brother Salvatore into our ranks, though he says he is content with his own clan. The history of my clan, Nosferatu, is …uncertain. But that is another matter. I simply stopped by to invite you into my reliquary tomorrow evening. I understand you were briefly tutored. There is much I can teach you of the world and our order. We may begin with simple reading and writing. The Scriptorium is no place for you, but who among us knows what the future may hold? I see in you a great potential. Malachi speaks of the ‘wisdom of the simple.’ I agree. While unschooled in many things, you possess a virtue that makes you the perfect student, unarmored by influence and corruption. I hope you will consider my offer. We can meet weekly, after evening prayers. I must continue my rounds. I do hope this work finds you well. It is good to work with the hands. Michael is a good craftsman. He may one day join us in our condition. Goodbye.”

:: Marco exits as Michael beams, likely having heard Marco’s last remark ::

(You've unlocked: Marco Tutoring. You may pursue such endeavors with him, leading to an allowable increase in Int, Knowledges, etc. And of course, he will be working to convert you to the Road of Heaven.)
durden wrote:"Hehehe. You throw shit as good as any holy man, eh? Hehehe. I can show you many things. Magics to make you strong, or make the women love you. Many hear only pay lip service to the old man. they have their own business. You'd be smart to watch them. This place...it is not as it appears. No. But it is protected. Safe place from those who will harm you from out there. But in here. Now you are not so safe, eh? You keep working. I will show you things."

(Salvatore will teach you what he knows of animals, theology, and craftsmanship. Plus something else I will pm you about)
This is in response to Abellio
durden wrote:The beast? Ah, the Antichrist ... He is about to come, the millennium is past. We await him…

:: You hear water splashing as Berro climbs into the tub. He draws the curtain. Thankfully, the mix he poured into the tub obscures any unwanted images you might otherwise behold ::

“You have much to learn here childe, and I will teach it. We must be careful not to trip over the brambles of your overgrown meadow. Our order is a noble one. Our purpose is one of penitence and reward. The Curse is ours to bear, like the weight poor Atlas supported. But I shall teach you many things. Of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John. Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Signs abound, dear Abellio. When the first trumpet sounded, there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. I have worked my life to see the signs and portents of this time and see it drawing near. For now, we only watch and wait, praying for the forgiveness of the first murderer and his blood.”

( Berro will continue to teach you the ways of the order and their religion. He is for now, the closest thing you have to a friend. He is a bit mad, but it’s the Middle Ages. Who isn’t? His tutelage will justify the increase in several knowledges, should you want to spend eeps on them. Instruction rules per the Storyteller’s book in Masquerade will apply. Free eeps!)
It has not been said whether Renardo or Pollox will train however both have been asked and responded well.

Posted in response to Felix
durden wrote:OOC: Felix works continuously in the Scriptorium everyday, eventually earning his own desk after a visiting scholar leaves. You are unsure of the visitor's nature, but figure he must be one of your kind. You finish the owrk given and find tht any text may be asked for, but not necessarily delivered. Questions are asked, making it difficult to pursue your own research. You have learned the politics of the Scriptorium as well. the librarian is nearly as coveted a position as that of abbot. Only the librarian and his assistant have access to the books, while only Ignatius himself may enter the library. Berro, after his outburst, makes infrequent visits. You learn that one may take a book to their quarters to work privately, though the librarian has say in which books may leave and how long one may keep them. One of your lower ranking would not be permitted much for long.

One thing of interest is the famed library itself. The access is secret. Only Ignatius and perhaps Malachi know of its location. You begin to pick up on the cataloging system and advance in your scholarship. As any scholar know, books only refer to other books. You may make notes to yourself regarding specific text. If you wish, this persoanl catalogue can be developed. A dice roll will determine it's sophistication, though over time you can sort these works into cateogries such as alchemy, vampirism, apocalypse, etc. This is just a suggestion, as there isn't really a way for you to yet learn what lies in the secret library. For now, your work is assigned and consist of copying common text. The abbot, you discover, has a particular interest in Arabic works. And, feel free to write your own books on whatever subject you have interest.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. This information will be garnered over the next three weeks, where the game will shift soon.
I assume he is being trained in script copying.

rydi wrote:i thought you were using the x next level not x current lvl... this makes my unlife far more productive.
I think he means when you buy items with xp he was thinking you used
(New Dot) x (normal experience cost for the expenditure you are making)
Rather than........
(Current Dot) x (normal experience cost for the expenditure you are making)

The OWOD system uses the second one mentioned. It is much cheaper expenditure costs.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

actualy owod uses (new dot x cost). they state this in the storytellers guide for 2nd ed revised. and they try to imply that it was always meant to be that way, and that people are idiots for thinking the word current means current rather than new. i hate WW sometimes.

but yeah, current is supposed to mean "level you will be at after purchase".

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I still call BS on that, because they've got example costs in several books (notably the Guide to the Cam and the Sabbat under the sections for the costs of level 6+ disciplines) that blatently show that it was current rating.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

well yeah, they are dicks.

these are the people that defined the concept of 'artiste gamer elite' and who made the world of darkness. what did you expect?

Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

I want to believe........ in current dot x (normal experience cost for the expenditure you are making)

yeah that is crazy to say one thing in rules and then show an example, just to later say it is incorrect.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

The DA core revised clearly says current x. That's what I'm going on.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

yes, but the definition of current = next, not current. and don't tell me that makes no sense, that is straight from the lupine's mouth.

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Can you cite your research? :P