Vampire: Dark Ages by chris

Moderator: durden

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

The Infirmary, operated by Brother Renardo, is situated along the northwestern wall of The Abbey complex. Renardo, responsible for overseeing the Balneary, Infirmary, and Gardens, may be found during most of the night hours here, working with various plants and liquids. He is a middle-aged man in appearance and is ugly in the common standard of the day.

Shelves line the walls, filled with texts, ampules, mortars and pestles, extorts, calcinators, assorted glassware, and other tools of the herbalist. The closest thing to a doctor one may find in the Middle Ages, Renardo serves to relieve various ailments and injuries as well as perform burial and hygienic matters. If something ails you, he’s the best thing you’ve got…

Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

Post by Guardiankrillin »

:: Renardo hears his name mentioned and scoffs ::

"I have better things to do child. Brother Berro, use those bath ingredients I provided. They should help you rest more calmly. Goodnight."

:: Renardo leaves and Berro continues, pointing a finger to your chest, poking it with the boney digit ::

"Is my mind open? That is the way to let in all sorts of unwanted things, is it not? I am merely resolute in my convictions, childe. You are not likely to corrupt me. I see no reason to fear you. You are not the beast I fear. I am concerned with the great beast that comes from the sea. Seven heads and ten horns and upon his horns ten crowns and upon his heads three names of blasphemy. The beast like unto a leopard, with the feet of a bear, and the mouth of a lion ... I have seen him. The library holds the key.”
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::As Renardo scoffs, Abellio *sighs*::

"I hope you will have time after you are done."

::Abellio acknowledges Brother Berro's comments::

"Having your mind open is considered a bad thing in your cultural circles? Where as in my cultural upbringing, it means you are willing to listen to ones ideas before you judge them. As a druid it was customary to let in all knowledge to allow your knowledge to grow as a tree in the forest. Is this not the same in your culture? I appologize if you think my setiment is bad. If your mind is closed does this then protect you from these "unwanted things"? As I told Brother Marco yesterday evening, I do not have hopes to corrupt anyone in this abbey. However you fear this beast, does? This beast does it have a name? The library does hold knowledge. Is this what you mean of a key? Untold knowledge on this beast or the physical representation of such key? Maybe these questions are better asked at a later time? I just appreciate your company and conversations."

(Roll Charisma or Manipulation + Empathy or Expression for Abellio to show his intent to not cause any trouble and have a peaceful conversation.)

******Rolls*********
Roll 1
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

:: The old monk is intense, though you do not sense hostility from him, more like an urgency and conviction. Berro draws the curtain between you, and de-robes while continuing the conversation. You see the silhouette of an old, naked vampire ::

“Knowledge like a tree in the forest? So much tangled underbrush, most things become. I have never seen the library. No one goes to the library. I knew those who did go up to the library… the library is a great labyrinth, sign of the labyrinth of the world. You enter and you do not know whether you will come out. You must not transgress the pillars of Hercules. ... But the Beast. The Beast has many names and many faces. I have seen its maw and heard its epithet. You will learn childe. Mind open as it is. Let the forest of your knowledge grow. Perhaps you will learn to prune that tree of yours, yes? These end times we live in, these times are a test, you know. The trumpets are sounding!”
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::Abellio turns his head at the first sight and continues his conversation.::

"Exactly like trees in the forest. The tangled underbrush is difficult to travel however, it protects the forest. It gives you knowledge to pull from your experiences during your travels. That is however what the bratches of the tree facilitate. They are where your most sacred knowledge is held, well above the bramble below."

:Abellio shows intrest in the second conversation.::

"The library sounds interesting though I will heed your warning. Why do you call it the pillar of Hercules? As before the branches are the finished product. I will keep my mind open, and allow my tree to grow. I will continue to prune it as best I can. Will you elaborate more on these end times we face?"
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

The beast? Ah, the Antichrist ... He is about to come, the millennium is past. We await him…

:: You hear water splashing as Berro climbs into the tub. He draws the curtain. Thankfully, the mix he poured into the tub obscures any unwanted images you might otherwise behold ::

“You have much to learn here childe, and I will teach it. We must be careful not to trip over the brambles of your overgrown meadow. Our order is a noble one. Our purpose is one of penitence and reward. The Curse is ours to bear, like the weight poor Atlas supported. But I shall teach you many things. Of The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John. Who bare record of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw. Signs abound, dear Abellio. When the first trumpet sounded, there came hail and fire mixed with blood, and it was hurled down upon the earth. A third of the earth was burned up, a third of the trees were burned up, and all the green grass was burned up. I have worked my life to see the signs and portents of this time and see it drawing near. For now, we only watch and wait, praying for the forgiveness of the first murderer and his blood.”

( Berro will continue to teach you the ways of the order and their religion. He is for now, the closest thing you have to a friend. He is a bit mad, but it’s the Middle Ages. Who isn’t? His tutelage will justify the increase in several knowledges, should you want to spend eeps on them. Instruction rules per the Storyteller’s book in Masquerade will apply. Free eeps!)
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::Abellio stands vigilante as if beside a campfire telling stories of old. He is counting most of these tales as bramble but is still consuming the knowledge. Except when it comes to the beast he is interested in the knowldge he is gleaning about this foe. It is very interesting this force that would burn up the forests and the grasses of the land. He continues to listen.::

"I thank you for your kindness Brother Berro. May you someday introduce me to your fellow congregation. I must meet Renardo and see if I may be of assistance to his works."

::Abellio waits for his leave and then searches for Renardo.::
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::Seeing Renardo attending to other needs Abellio takes a seat as to not interupt his buisness. Abellio takes note of the remedies and items Renardo keeps.::

(Roll Perception + Investigation to notice specific remedies Renardo uses in his infirmary.)

***********Rolls*************
Roll 1
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

(I swear I wrote something after you mentioned you were going to find Renardo. If I find it somewhere, I'll post it... I'll get back to you soon)
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

(this is still unresolved, no rush, that combat is draining me as well)
Investigation of Marco's Body.
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

(thanks for reminding me. i'll make a note to go back to it)
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

This is the conversation from weeks and weeks ago in game cause I suck and forgot about it...

“In summer or spring, through the variety of its plants, each then adorned with its flowers, this garden sings better the praises of the Creator."

:: Renardo continues about his work, referring to a list written on parchment as he browses his array of ingredients. You look about, not sure what to make of all this. Seems the natural sciences continue to prosper in this facility, where it dwindles in the cities below. You are unsure what most of this does, though you spot the occasional aloe vera plant and other herbs used for burn cures and salves. He notices your intrest in his goods ::

"But even now, in winter, the herbalist’s eye sees through the dry branches the plants that will come, and he can tell you that this garden is richer than any herbal ever was, and more varicolored, beautiful as the illuminations are in those volumes. Furthermore, good herbs grow also in winter, and I preserve others gathered and ready in the pots in my laboratory. And so with the roots of the wood sorrel I treat catarrhs, and with the decoction of althea roots I make plasters for skin diseases; burrs cicatrize eczemas; by chopping and grinding the snakeroot rhizome I treat diarrheas and certain female complaints; pepper is a fine digestive; coltsfoot eases the cough; and we have good gentian also for the digestion, and I have glycyrrhiza, and juniper for making excellent infusions, and elder bark with which I make a decoction for the liver, soapwort, whose roots are macerated in cold water for catarrh, and valerian, whose properties you surely know."

:: He goes to work with a batch of dried ingredients, grinding them with his mortar and pestle while a small flame heats a nearby ampule. There is a large slab in the middle of the room that likely serves as a checkup table for the ill and naturally, the temporary resting place for the dead while being examined. Renardo hums a tune to himself absently ::
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

******Original Conversation with Renardo*******
::Abellio looks over the selection once more before speaking.::

"Ah, very nice variety indeed. Valerian is very useful in assisting sleep of the sleepless and it is also said to keep lightinging away. With such variety, I assume you also have birch, rowan, ash, alder, willow, hawthorn, oak, holly, hazel, vine, ivy, reed, and mistletoe. You did mention Elder bark which has another use if made into a tea to help assist the ailments of the joints and its branches hollowed make good bellows, surley you have it stored outside though, it is said to be put to good use in warding evil spirits from a horses stable if hung above, but is said to bring bad tidings to bring it into a building. Birch leaves have a peculiar aromatic though agreeable odour with a bitter taste and can be employed in the form of infusion for use in gout. Rowan has uses if planted near entrances in fending off evil spirits, and the berries and leaves can be added to some decoctions to make them stronger it is said. Ash also assists in gout. Placing Alder leaves in your shoes will ease weary feet it is useful for travelers. The other plants I mentioned have thier verying uses. These are plants I have studied well they are a base of my background and insight. I would love to assist you if you would be willing to welcome the help."

::Abellio takes a closer look at Renardo's work to show his intrest.::

(I am baseing my characters knowledge off of his beliefs since these are plants found in the Druidic Zodiac.)
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

(I am so glad my research didn't go to waste! I suppose your high hearth wisdom and medicine scores combined warrant that info.)

:: Renardo stops his work and lifts an eyebrow, intrigued by his guests knowledge ::

"I owe my varied collection it to the mercy of the Lord, who set our high plain between a range that overlooks the sea to the south and receives its warm winds, and the higher mountain to the north whose sylvan balsams we receive. And on the other hand, I owe it to my art, which, unworthily, I learned at the wish of my masters. Certain plants will grow even in an adverse climate if you take care of the terrain around them, and their nourishment, and their growth. Your knowledge impresses. Berro was right about you. Your ways are unknown to us, and many wish to keep it that way. I differ to the wisdom of Brother Berro. Clan Malkavian is known for its unique insights. Our venerable brother often comes to me for services, looking to induce visions and calm them, from time to time. He sees many things. No wonder he is mad. Ahem...

I am unfamiliar with your clan and would be interested in learning more. I could also use someone skilled in the collection of ingredients. Brother Salvatore has some skill, but proves unreliable. He has his own agendas to attend. I hear our other guest, Mario is it? I hear he is working with our 'junior cellarer,' as some derisively refer to him. But no matter. You keep better company, yes? Haha."
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

"Berro is very insightful it seems. I am of a clan once thought to be a part of clan Gangrel, however our path with Gangrel have split somewhat through the decades. I am of clan Lihannan, I am one of a kind in these parts as far as I am aware. Even where my line began we are scarce. I take trips through the forests here often. They do capture the beauty of this area. I would be willing to retrieve ingredients for you at any time. In fact I have a excursion planned later this evening. I have met a man by the name of Pollox whom protects the forest. I wish to meet him again."

::Abellio pauses for a moment to address the question of his roommate.::

"It is Mario, he keeps to himself most of the time. I would assume the company I keep is better. He regards me poorly, I can tell by his initial reactions."