Vampire: Dark Ages by chris

Moderator: durden

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

"Ah, a rare bloodline. I wonder if Brother Ignatius is familiar. He takes pride n his knowledge of Cainite lore. He is a stern and serious man. I rarely visit the Scriptorium myself, only visiting our brother librarian when I need a book. I keep my own herbaria here for easy reference. Dear Brother Marco secured these texts for me, copying them himself. A good man. He will be missed.

There are many good ingredients growing in these woods around our abbey. There are no plants good for food that are not good for treating the body, too, provided they are taken in the right quantity. Only excess makes them cause illness. Consider the pumpkin. It is cold and damp by nature and slakes thirst, but if you eat it when rotten it gives you diarrhea and you must bind your viscera with a paste of brine and mustard. And onions? Warm and damp, in small quan­tities they enhance coitus (for those who have not taken our vows, naturally), but too many bring on a heaviness of the head, to be combated with milk and vinegar. A good reason, why a young monk should always eat them sparingly. Eat garlic instead. Warm and dry, it is good against poisons. But do not use it to excess, for it causes too many humors to be expelled from the brain. Beans, on the contrary, pro­duce urine in mortal men and are fattening, two very good things. But they induce bad dreams. Far less, however, than certain other herbs. There are some that actually provoke evil visions. Brother Berro oft invokes such things. I do not suggest there use to others. Few may suffer such things and keep their wits.

Mario... I shall remain open towards him. Brother Othon marked him among the simple. As with Berro and Michael, among others, I see the value in such a man. I suggest keeping close."

:: Renardo continues working on his concoction. The aromatic surroundings drawing you into relaxed state. He offers the use of his herbaria, granted you do not leave the infirmary with the books. He will have the occasional list posted on lectern of herbs, plants, and misc. organic matter for you to obtain. He offers his teachings in return ::
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

Post by Guardiankrillin »

"I have not yet spoken with Ignatius. *Pauses to take a glance over at the Herbaria.* Would you know of any books that Ignatius would have on the woodland spirits and of my home? I am interested in seaking such knowledges to help better my line. Brother Marco is a good man indeed. Is he leaving?"

::Abellio gets abit of a smile on his face.::

"I appreciate your insights into such knowledges. Brother Berro's insights are most intriguing. As with yourself, I will stay open to Mario if he seeks me out. Maybe I will later meet Brother Othon and Michael. I do appreciate the gesture. I would actually like to make my leave to complete my evening stroll through the woods. Do you have any needs while I am out? It is said that my bloodlines talents can not be taught but maybe soon I will show you my inate abilities as one with the night."

::Abellio awaits Renardo's final words.::
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

:: Renardo perks up when he hears the mention of new abilities ::

"I appreciate your offer and hope to learn more of your... unique bloodline. Father Malachi will no doubt find it interesting as well. He is very old and very wise. He has spoken to me of other unique deviations in Cainite lines. His own, it is said, is rumored to be a deviation. Malachi is perhaps the second generation of that split. But he knows more of such things. I am still earning my place among you. Brother Othon is overseeing my progress. His clan is not typical of our faith, finding more carnal pleasures in this world, along with their damned offspring, the Giovanni. *spits when he speaks the name* World would be far better without their kind. Venice is an open sore upon this earth.

But childe, you asked me if I knew of your land and its lore. I am afraid I know little. Local geography and cures are my specialty. Our kind is not suited to far travels. You and your kin are special, I do think. Now if we can only bring a little God to you, eh?

There is a list of things I need on the far table *points without taking his eyes from an open book* they are simple ingredients found near, but should keep you busy for a few good hours. There is an area on the East end of the abbey where waste is disposed. I have found that Hyoscyamus niger grows well there. Just be careful, dear childe. Watch for falling, well, be aware of your surroundings..."
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

"I appreciate your curiosity and information on this matter. Maybe these discusions will come with due time. *with a bit of sarcasm* Maybe with time you will bring a little God to me.

::Abellio walks over and picks the list up off the table.::

"I will atempt to retrieve these ingredients. I will try to take my surroundings into consideration. With this list I take my leave, I will try to bring these ingredients back as best as possible."

::Abellio walks out and begins his journey.::

(Thread Transfered to Woods around the Abbey. Check the last post on the page it has been updated.)
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::Abellio arives back at the infirmary the first evening.::
durden wrote::: The collection goes well, with Abellio returning poo-free and with the correct ingredients. Wisely taking care to avoid contact with the plant, Abellio shows some real promise. Renardo naturally offers to tutor in medicine and herbology (there's a related skill out there somewhere...)."
::The following evenings Abellio continues his trips to the forest in hopes to meet with Pollox and tend to his ghouled deer.::

(The Woods around the Abbey)
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Roll Perception+Alertness for poo dodging and Investigation for finding the item. Failure would indicate that you might have a misstep or took longer than you expected to find things. Botches mean you got slammed with falling liquid medieval poo and couldn't find a damn thing.

:: Renardo has coated the neck and arms of the body, still oddly preserved though grotesquely shriveled, with some sort of fine greenish powder. He says it will help him determine if the fat monk was fed upon. Such action appals you to even consider, though you have likely heard of its practice. Renardo has taken sample of that odd black powder that seemed to leak from Marco's ears and mouth. The corpse's tongue is pitch black. What on earth happened? Renardo, almost talking to himself to refresh his understanding, recites the finding of the body and its condition. He goes on to hypothesize scenarios and substances that could have resulted in such a demise ::

"This black substance is the key. It must be. I stained his tongue, as though he ingested something. It was not likely already present in the pig's blood we found him in. Strange. The other brothers are not willing to beleive foul play was involved. To do so would upset everything here, where all pretend as though we do not live in a world of darkness. Marco had no enemies, though many were quite envious of him, the favored of Abbot Malachi and our mysterious librarian, Ignatius. I imagine whatever struck our beloved brother is lurking, waiting to strike anew upon our complacent flock. If only there were something to clue us into his finally days on this earth."
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

(Spent the 1 xp on Medicine)
durden wrote:He even lets you into his confidence regarding the investigation ::
(The quote below is in reference to the Hyoscyamus niger Renardo had Abellio gather)
durden wrote:"Poison. Of this, I have little doubt."
::Abellio examining the body, looks closely at the ears, mouth, the black substance, and the preserving materials.::

"What is this greenish powder made of?"

(Roll Intelligence + Occult to come up with ideas of who would kill this way)
(Roll Intelligence + Hearth Wisdom to remember any stories assosiated with what has happened)
(Roll Intelligence + Medice to decide what ailment actually killed him.)
(Roll Perception + Investigation to locate any unidentified marks or anything to further support above rolls)
(Roll Perception + Investigation again this time to study the substance)

"From earlier investigation I saw that Marco's tracks were the only ones present. He may have dumped himself in the barrel. Maybe he was in search of nourishment. Maybe that black substance caused him to seek nourishment and that is why his tracks were the only tracks we could see in the snow. What substances would affect ones nourishment with our condition? I am unsure of its connection if any but, Mario has mentioned a letter given to Marco weeks before his passing. Mario unfortunatly probably knows not what the letter said, since he was having Marco examine it. Othon also used his gifts to see Marco's last moments, hopeing he could gain some insight. He said he only saw haze and clouded sight. It is not something Othon had seen before in somone his gifts has been used on. Following our path of thought so far. Could the black substance have clouded Marco's sight or Othon's inate abilities?

********Rolls***************
Roll Intelligence + Occult
Roll Intelligence + Hearth Wisdom
Roll Intelligence + Medice
Roll Perception + Investigation
Roll Perception + Investigation
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

:: Renardo glances up at you absent-mindedly as though he weren't really listening. Realizing what you asked, he points to an unmarked jar of the powder ::

"Just something I mixed up. It should show signs of healing. Even the kiss leaves some signs of violation, you know. Marco was not fed upon. I thought that maybe...perhaps another Cainite had done away with him. Stood to reason that he may have been drained. It was worth a look."

:: Abellio spends some time looking over the body, searching his memory for anything you have encountered that may reveal something, anything. You think back to poor Marco, head-first in the barrel. The absence of tracks does seem to indicate that he was alone, though you are aware that even in crisp snow, some have the skill to cover tracks. If he did in fact place himself there, it stands to reason he needed the drink. You seem to remember a tale of a flowered plant that would rob one of their blood. Certainly, such a plant would be fatal to your kind. Certainly if it existed, it would be a potent weapon for a hunter to use. No rituals of its use have been whispered in your presence. What was it called? Bloodroot? Was that it? ::
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

"It was a very good assumption. Renardo you may have some ideas, I think there is a plant out there, I think it is called bloodroot? Could Marco have ingested such a plant? Could it cause one to thirst for blood?"
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

"Bloodroot?? Hmmm..."

:: Renardo spends several minutes consulting a book in his Herbaria, only to find it lack the information. He picks up another and flips through the pages. You see notes, likely Renardo's, filling the marginalia. After several more minutes Renardo slams the book down and turns to you ::

"I think you are right! You are quite knowledgeable. We have much to learn from one another."

:: He approaches the body, examining again the black powder he collected ::

"I have heard of this substances use nearby, in the province of Ravenna. Livia, she is the Prince. It is said she utilized the poison against her opponents when she seized power not long ago. I cannot fathom why she would target one of our brothers."
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

"I agree, we can learn much from each other. This does lend her to be a possible attacker. I have never traveled to Ravenna. There is a name I have been searching for information about, this seems the best time to ask you. Have you any knowledge of the name Koban. I heard it in passing from Brother Berro. Any ideas if there is a connection?"
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

"Koban. Koban.... No. I cannot say I have heard it. Interesting. Do you beleive this to be a person, a man? Father Malachi could likely find you an answer. If he himself does not know. then I am sure his contacts could provide him such information promptly. He is quite connected, you know. Across this peninsula and throughout Europe. I believe he knows of our eastern kin as well and has studied among them in the past. But I am told little. Like my mushrooms, I am kept in the dark and fed waste. Sometimes I find it is better to not know of things. Of course, the fool is easily manipulated. For the rest of us, it takes slightly more effort...

:: Renardo goes about his routines, mixing ingredients and preparing orders. The body of Marco is covered, for the purpose of decency. Such a fine man should not remain sprawled out nude for all to see ::

"They tell me he shall be buried tomorrow evening. I hesitate to release him, though his spirit has endured enough. There is nothing more I can learn from his shell. God bless him. God bless..."
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

"It may be nothing, however when this name was mentioned to Marco a day before his untimely death he told me it was of no concern to us and suggested forgetting it. This only makes me further curious of its meaning wether it be man or other, I do not know. I will continue checking on this."

::Abellio looks over the body half covered one last time.::

"*To Marco's dead body* Fairwell my friend. *Looking back at Renardo* Unfortunatly it is true there is not more more we can identify. I will see you at the session. Good Evening Renardo."

::Abellio leaves the infirmary for the evening.::
durden wrote::: The Abbey is not the same place after the passing of Marco. Malachi has withdrawn and will not be seen. It is even rumored that his whereabouts are unknown, though it is believed he is somewhere within the walls. The three new arrivals have lost a mentor and friend. Abellio is further ostracized. Only Brothers Salvatore, Berro, and Renardo remain open ot the three guests. The Glazier continues to tutor Mario, as does Salvatore. For now, Brother Othon, the Cappadocian ashen priest, is running things. No more is said of the abbey at Melk or the group[ awaiting Marco there. Renardo continues his investigation, though seems preoccupied with the manner of death, not the culprit, should there be one. Others remain on edge, unwilling to speak of the gruesome event they witnessed or the implications surrounding the possibility of foul play. The Abbey is no longer the inviting, safe place you first entered.

Mario dimwittedly tells others of the letter Marco took to decipher, though none seem interested. If any work was completed in it's decryption, then it is locked away in Marco's desk in the Scriptorium.

Two weeks after the event, Brother Marco is still above ground, continuing to be examined by Brother Renardo. The body as inexplicably remained rather fresh, with only the beginning signs of decay creeping in. Many of the others monks call for a prompt and proper burial. Most wish only to be done with the matter. Berro's talk of ill tidings further stir feelings of anxiety and fear among the flock.
(This quote comes from The Abbey. Where Abellio's story continues.)
Last edited by Guardiankrillin on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guardiankrillin
Lost Knight

::Abellio arrives at the infirmary in search of Renardo, After he sends Mario to the town in search of the priest.::

"Hello Renardo, I have a quick question. What is the Ossarium and where would it be located? I have never heard this term spoken before and am curious of what it means."
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

:: Renardo turns to you with eyebrow raised ::

"Well, an ossarium is a place to keep revered brothers and defender of the faith. At times, it may even hold relics. I understand we have one within these abbey walls, though I know not where it is located. It stands to reason it is within the Aedificium. Much that is contained within is for senior brothers only. I am uncertain where Brother Marco will be entombed. He expressed no desire and it is ultimately up to the abbot."