If you'd like to see a new forum or category, or think there's something we need to change or remove, let us know here and we'll look in to it.
Rusty
Lost Soul

To my faithful readers

Post by Rusty »

Wastelander is almost ready to go. I'm going to write query letters to literary agents during study breaks and send them to those agents that accept email proposals.

so, to anyone who has read my work, comments about wastelander would be much appreciated. What does it read like? is it good? does it suck? does it read like another author's work?

thank you all for your faithful faith.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

guess I should re-read it so I can see what similarities in pacing, mood, action, detail (I liked your level of detail), etc there are so I can write a review you can send along
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

let me send you the current version

it's mostly deletions, I'm going to expand on it over break, but I don't need a complete manuscript within the next month, simply because it takes that long to get an answer from a query letter
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

send me a copy too.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

well, I've sent my first query letter, so in a few weeks I hope to get my first rejection letter. Now that I've gotten that out of my system I can look to write a better query letter and maybe get more rejection letters! Hooray for the process!
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

how do querry letters work?

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

they usually don't. What you do is find out what the agent thinks a query letter is, do that, and send it. Each agent usually has a lengthy diatribe on his website about what a proper query letter is, and it usually directly contradicts things that other agents say. Basically, you introduce yourself, your qualifications, and your work, and for some agents you send chapters and a synopsis.

The best thing that can come from a query letter is an invitation to send a complete manuscript, which is nice but not a contract. After that, then they can offer to represent you and terms of the representation can be sorted out, then a contract is made.

then the agent tries to get your work published because they get a cut of the sales and nothing else, so now someone well connected in the industry represents your work and tries to get paid from it.

Course, once you have an agent and he/she have published your first book, you can get your second published with a phone call. yeah, the process is gay and stupid and largely useless. It's like hollywood without whores.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

NO WHORES?!?!

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Dear Gideon,

Thank you for your recent letter and for reading my blog, I appreciate
it. I regret to say that I don't feel that I'm the most appropriate
agent for your work.

However, opinions vary considerably in this business, and I wish you the
best of luck in your search for representation.

Best wishes,
Nathan
Well, that was fast. I already feel better. now that I've submitted and been rejected, I can now add that qualification to my CV. And write a better query letter next time.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I'm very strongly considering removing any direct reference to Dane's age from the book. It has occurred to me that in making him quite specifically 15 I am bringing up the highly controversial topic of child soldiers, which is completely tangential to the plotline and likely entirely too hot of a topic for an agent to quite literally risk his career on.

Well Lost Knights, your thoughts?
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

well I remember you mentioning his age but you could always just add a few years... I mean yeah he did join the official military at an early age but it was very appropriate early in the book... remember Red Dawn... bunch of high school kids that were regular hunters with dad started a resistance so they could get free of the controlled territory... which is what I thought of when Dane was still on earth.... I envisioned him as an older person later in the book based on his maturity and really did not think of him being so young... but make him 18-19 or pass a few years before he heads to space so he is older for those portions (matching his maturity) if you want to keep in details but make them less controversial or as you said take it out and let people make up their own minds...
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I'm going to remove direct numerical references to his age. I don't think it changes who dane is, but allows for more lattitude in the reader's interpretation of the events, which is something I like.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

i agree w/that. i always had a problem w/it. if you want it to be important, you could just reveal it in your blog or your convention visits to your rabid fans as an easter egg that gives more insight into the depth of your vision.

Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

anyone else need a copy?
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

you know most of these people don't read that much, right?