If you'd like to see a new forum or category, or think there's something we need to change or remove, let us know here and we'll look in to it.
Rusty
Lost Soul

RSS?

Post by Rusty »

Any chance we can do an RSS feed? This would be hot. And it would help with my 'offline internet' experience.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

wtf?
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

Cheyne, you are old. RSS would be cool.
Thael
Lost Knight

Post by Thael »

I have not used them much so I am vague on what all they can do but how would it work for the board... would it cover all posts??
That which is not dead can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die
My Color is Blue
I value Knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. My symbol is a water droplet. My enemies are green and red.
durden
Lost Knight

Post by durden »

They will have sex with you.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

ideally it would either cover all posts or there would be a separate one for each forum or topic. but it's really up to steven based on A) if he can do it and B) if he wants to do it, which he may not have the time to put in to it even he knows how, or it could be really hard.

cheyne: welcome to web 2.0
Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Unless I can find some sort of plug-in, this probably won't happen. I don't know enough php to program it myself.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

a quick google search showed me a number of articles about how to set one up, I'm not sure about a plugin but it looks like html can do it. I guess.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

I think it may. I'll have to poke at code later, when I actually have access to the files on the server (ie: when I am not at work), but it looks like that page has the instructions for creating a feed.

This of course assume that you all have RSS readers, which you may. I don't know. I don't use one myself. :P
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

I do. I love RSS. I'm trying to find an extension for thunderbird that stores my rss feeds offline. cause that would be nice, and it would be an effective backup of the internet as I care about it.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

speaking of backing up files...
can someone do that? maybe while they sleep or something? we really should do it every week or two, just to prevent a repeat of the past.
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

OK, so what exactly is RSS and how does it work???
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Ok, since you asked.

RSS feeds are that little orange icon you've seen in the address bar a few times. Google homepage and standalone RSS readers can accept these feeds, and will show you updates to the websites that broadcast them like email. I'm using mozilla thunderbird for both its integrative email capabilities and its uses as an RSS feed reader. I also plugged in Lighting for Thunderbird and its a robust calendar system that helps me stay disorganized.

The long and the short of it is RSS feeds simplify web browsing immensely. With the summary version on google homepage, you can surf a couple dozen sites for updates in about ten minutes. With mozilla it's about the same, but you get the front end of the websites as well, unless you turn that off.

I find it enjoyable and to quote a buzzword "high yield".

A feed for LoKni wiould show new posts immediately in an RSS feed, and logging in or out would be unnecessary unless a reply was in order. This shouldn't increase or decrease participation, what I imagine it doing for me is that I wouldn't have to wait around for a gmail notification to keep track of updates, and also it would cut down on my spam!
Amseriah
Lost Knight

Post by Amseriah »

Cool I like the sound of that