Actually just Pathfinder. For discussion of rules, character builds, and anything else non-campaign related.

Moderator: adam

Rusty
Lost Soul

Kingmaker Placeholder

Post by Rusty »

I'm sure if it becomes truly necessary, Adam will make a real Kingmaker thread. For the time being, I'd like somewhere easier to read and less transient to post character builds and thoughts on Kingmaker characters and plans.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Dellisar

LN Human of Mixed Taldan and Chelish descent
Arcanist (Scholar Savant: Necromancer) 5 / Diabolist 3 / Arclord of Nex 10 / Diabolist 2
Opposition Schools: Evocation, Enchantment
Feats:
1: Command Undead (Bonus from school), Extra Arcanist Exploit: Counterspell, Spell Penetration
3: Craft Wonderous Item
5: Eye of the Arclords, Craft Arms and Armor (From Exploit: Crafting feat)
7: Craft Construct
8: Augment Summoning (From Diabolist 3)
9: Leadership
11: Inscribe Magical Tattoo
13: Deific Obedience: Nethys
15: Disruptive Spell?
17: Lingering Spell?
19: Quicken Spell?

At 6th level Dellisar becomes Damned. If he dies from this point on, raising or resurrecting him requires a caster level check 10 + his level or it fails, and cannot be attempted again for 24 hours.

Also at 6th level, Dellisar gains an Imp companion. While it cannot have class levels, it progresses like an animal companion with a few differences. It gains alternate forms at various levels. When it arrives, it's main combat alternate form will be that of a leopard (pounce claw claw bite grab rake). It also gets spell like abilities and various skills. So far it's build is as follows for how it will look when it arrives:

Fusilanizaximos
LE Outsider
HP 35
AC 21
Tiny
Spell-Like abilities:
Constant (CL 6th): detect Good, detect magic
At will (CL 6th): Invisibility (self only)
1/day (CL 6th): suggestion
1/week (CL 12th): Commune
SQ: Alternate Form (Raven [as beast shape I], Leopard [as beast shape II])
Evasion, Devotion, Share Spells, Link
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Bodyguard, In Harm's Way
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 12
Attack: Stinger +7 1d4+1 + poison (1/round for 5 minutes, 1d2 dex, cure 1 save.)
Speed 20 feet, Fly 50 feet

Note: In Leopard form, Fusilanizaximos gains the following changes
Size: Medium
Abilities: Str: +6 Dex: -2 Nat AC: +2 Size: -2
Attacks: 2 Claws +8 1d3+4, 1 bite +8 1d6+4 + grab, Rake 2 claws
SQ scent, low-light vision, pounce
Speed 30ft, climb 20 ft

At 9th level Dellisar will attract a Cleric of his god Nethys to help him spread his faith and to help the kingdom in various ways, as a cohort from his Leadership feat. At the time she arrives she will be 7th level.

Hasina
N Human of Osirioni descent
Cleric 5 Evangelist 2
Domains: Defense (Protection) and Arcane (Magic)
Channel Positive Energy Variant: Forge (50% healing to living creatures, channel bonus to AC for 1 turn, 150% healing to constructs)
Channel Energy 3d6, Channel bonus +2
Feats:
1: Command Undead, Selective Channel
3: Deific Obedience: Nethys
5: Craft Wonderous Items
7: Craft Magical Arms and Armor

Note: At Evangelist 2 her class feature "aligned class" selects cleric. From that point on she continues to gain cleric class features and evangelist class features. She effectively loses one cleric level over 20 levels, but gains many benefits, such as dodge bonus, extra languages, spell like abilities, a globe of invulnerability, things like that.

Any observations or advice would be welcome.

Edit: Fusilanizaximos won't get rake after all. Beast shape II doesn't give rake.

Also Edit: According to the base Imp Companion statistics, it can turn into a young giant spider per beast shape III. This is not correct, a spider is a vermin, and beast shape can only change into animals. The reason I picked Leopard is that it has pounce, and is medium. The imp can only turn into tiny, small, or medium creatures using it's alternate form SQ. Later, when I can cast the spell on it myself, I'll turn it into something large.

Dinosaurs are a fan favorite for polymorph spells, but are only common in certain parts of the world. Seems like an unlikely choice for a devil. Not that either are close to it's nature, but the more that it blends in the better. An imp is supposed to be a bootlick and a servant, a messenger. In this case a bodyguard.

I like the spider form just fine, but it'd be vermin shape instead. That's an Adam decision. The "young" is just a size adjustment, it's supposed to be a small size category spider. Vermin Shape is the right spell level to do it, though it'd be up to Adam which of Vermin Shape I and Vermin Shape II gives the right abilities. Imp companions are supposed to get a choice between raven, rat and boar as per beast shape I, or young giant spider per beast shape III for their first alternate form. if the spider can be made to work properly I'd take that, if the web spinning ability works, which would be Vermin Shape II, which is the same spell level as Beast shape III. Prolly take Raven later for the stealth element. That's enough edits.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Construct Armies

To make an army of constructs requires time and money.

I've calculated that a fairly efficient army can be built of CR 1 constructs that have DR and immunity to most magic. They cost 250 gp each, take about a week (for one person) to build, and a day to enchant. With a team working on them, they can be made very quickly.

An army of about 200 is about the right number. The minimum time I could expect to produce that is 100 days, and that's with a full complement of craftsmen producing at least two finished bodies a day. I can only expect to do that at 11th level or later.

Just keep the following in mind:

Raising an army from your citizens is quick, but losses come out of your population. That population is your kingdom. In the river kingdoms, soldiers are one of the two most honored professions, and they serve as police and guards in times of peace. If they don't come back from war, the kingdom won't survive.

Raising an army of undead is quick, but you can only have a small number.

Raising an army of outsiders can be very fast, but it's very expensive and predictably disloyal.

Raising an army of constructs is very slow, but they can be very, very tough.

Decide how much you can afford to invest on a constant basis in having your construct army grow, and then just invest it. You don't know when you'll need them. You don't know if they'll be ready when you need them. Don't break the bank to get them. If you make them too cheaply they won't perform and they'll be a waste. If you make them too expensive there won't be enough of them to matter.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Constructs and purposes

I was working on trying to find a perfect construct type for infantry for army building AND for taking along on party missions. There isn't one.

Constructs are machines. The more specialized they are the better.

Infantry should be plentiful and, like everything else in pathfinder, rules optimized to their specialized task. The cost of constructing 100 CR 2s is greater than the cost of constructing 200 CR 1s. However, 100 CR 2s is an ACR of 2 and 200 CR 1s is an ACR of 3. That's 1 more to hit, 1 more defense.

In fact, the cost of building 100 CR 2 constructs is 100,000gp, which is the same cost as building 400 CR 1 constructs. While that added CR might come from a special ability or two, in this instance I'm talking about the exact same construct with an extra hit die.

Now, construction time is important of course, and both CR 1 and CR 2 constructs of these types take about the same amount of time to build.

However, if you're high enough level to build any of these constructs, which is to say, 7th level or better (most likely), you don't need a bunch of 1 or 2 hit die constructs hanging out with you, even if they have some DR. They're more valuable on a battlefield by the hundred.

What you probably need is something bigger. These are mediums we were talking about.

We can get big pretty easily. I can build even just CR 4 constructs with DR 5/adamantine, immunity to most magic and huge size that could dish out at least some crowd control.
This would cost 4000gp each. They won't have a ton of hit points really (AC 17, 67hp). By virtue of their size they'd do some damage, but they won't last long even with that DR because of that low AC.

Base Cost is CR squared x 500. It costs half that to animate one. It usually costs 10% of the base cost to make the body. When we're making hundreds of them (or 1000s) those body costs add up a lot. When we're making one or two, it's a so-so thing.

So to guard the king, sure, one or two. Hell, upgrades are fine. Give it more DR.

The shield guardian mod is interesting, though very expensive. It's something like 30k, but it gives it lots of abilities.

The armor mod is also interesting. It lets you wear your construct as armor. Attacks hitting you damage your construct. So instead of affecting your hit points, your construct takes damage. When your construct is about to die, you pop out as a swift.

For my part, I find the medium sized constructs to be the best value. The cost doesn't actually change that much, but they can go where you can go. You have to leave your huge golems outside the dungeon.

Anyway, Huge is hard to work out for a CR4 without it basically being a pushover. Your Tin golem draws too much aggro and gets shredded. Large is totally doable though.

I've been learning about the construct (and monster) creation rules in order to work with this part of the game. Living monsters should, in most cases, be fairly well rounded, though focused as though trained or adapted in one task. Constructs can be readily designed with specialized tasks in mind, however.

Because constructs CAN be specialized, and because control of them can be transferred, consider not IF you could put a construct to good use, but HOW.

"But I'm a stealth character, I'd never use one of those!"

We have something for that too. I can make them tiny. Or Smaller. I can make them sharp. There's even some that fit over your arm and can be used as weapons. There's some that have telepathic links with you and can spy around corners for you. There's LOTS to be done with constructs.

Basic constructs, such as Golems, require simple and direct instructions. Clockworks are more expensive, more fragile, but can be given more complicated instructions. If a clockwork is the right tool for a specific job, then that's the tool we'll build. Just know that they take longer to build, and have their own foibles.
rydi
Site Admin

Post by rydi »

Name: tba
Class: Warder (dervish) / Investigator (mastermind)
Traits: Trapfinder, Fate's Favored, Pragmatic Activator (most likely anway)
Stats:
Str 8
Dex 16
Con 12
Int 17
Wis 12
Cha 10

1- Weapon Fin., Deadly Agility, TWF, Combat Ref. (int based)
3- Discipline Focus - Thrashing Dragon
5- Story Feat - Accursed or Nemesis
7- Quick Draw or Shapeshifter Foil
9- ITWF
11- Advanced Study
13- Feat
15- Piranha Strike, GTWF
17- Feat
19- Advanced Study
Threading the Gerbil since 1982

Avilister
The Mitten King

Post by Avilister »

Name: TBA
LN Tengu
Stalker (Soul Hunter) 6 / Umbral Blade 10 / Stalker (Soul Hunter) 4
Traits: Noble Born (Surtova), Dirty Fighter, Life of Toil; Drawback: Pride
Attributes (after racial modifiers)
Str 10
Dex 18
Con 10
Int 13
Wis 18
Cha 10

Feats
1 Weapon Finesse
3 Two-Weapon Fighting
5 Discipline Focus (Veiled Moon)
7 Extra Stalker Art (Combat Precognition)
9 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
11 Combat Reflexes
13 Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
15 Advanced Study (Brutal Dragon Stance)
17 Advanced Study (Thrashing Blades, Unbreakable Talons)
19 feat (Leadership?)

Class Abilities:
1 Ki pool (bonus to Perception or Sense Motive), Soul Claiming, Soulburning +1d6
2 combat insight (scent, tracking bonus vs claimed)
3 Stalker Art (Evasion)
4 Combat insight (uncanny dodge)
5 Soulburning +2d6, Ki pool (soulburn claimed targets within 30ft)
6 Sight of the Hunter (Clairvoyance spell-like, 1ki; claim targets seen thus, 1ki)
7 Shadow blade (+1d6 cold, weapon always light, Wis to dmg), umbral sight (Darkvision 60ft)
8 Blade of night +1d8 cold (move action to charge, free to discharge)
9 Embrace the Shadows (stance; DC boost+2, nat AC boost+2, Intim/Stealth boost +2/UB lvl, save boost+2)
10 Shadow Consumption I (Wis instead of Con to calc hp and Fort save in Embrace of Shadows stance)
11 Shadowblind (hide in plain sight in dim illumination)
12 Blade of night +2d8
13 Shadow consumption II (blink spell at will in Embrace the Shadows stance)
14 Terror in the dark (Stealth as swift action)
15 Shadow Consumption III (gain incorporeal subtype at will as std act in Embrace the Shadows Stance)
16 One with the dark (Embrace the Shadows and all its mods permanent, Outsider type, Cold Res 10, DR 10/silver), blade of night +3d8
17 Stalker Art (Phantom Reach), Ki Pool (saving throw bonus +4 for 1ki)
18 combat insight (+Wis to confirm critical hits)
19 Soulburning +3d6, Ki Pool (maneuver swap)
20 Dual strike 1/day

Significant skill point investment (10 or more ranks) in Acrobatics, Intimidate, Knowledge-planes, Perception, Sense Motive, Stealth, and Survival.

Maneuvers (-> indicates a maneuver trade out)
1 Dimensional Strike, Ghost Hunting Blow, Sting of the Rattler, Swift Claws, Offensive Roll, Inner Sense, Poisoner's Stance (stance)
2 Dizzying Venom Prana, Inner Sphere Stance (stance)
3 Iron Fang
4 Fading Strike, Dimensional Strike -> Half-Gone
5 Sickening Venom Strike, Battle Dragon's Stance (stance)
6 Fangs Strike Low, Sting of the Rattler -> Altered Penumbra
7 Nothing :(
8 Sharpened Talons, Offensive Roll->Raging Hunter Pounce
9 Class - Embrace the Shadows (stance)
10 Reversing Thrust
11 Iron Fang -> Impaling Strike, Stance of the Ether (stance)
12 Ether Wave
13 Nothing, again :(
14 Primal Frenzy, Swift Claws->Fade Through
15 feat-Brutal Dragon's Stance (stance)
16 Eclipsing Moon
17 Five-Fold Hydra Sting, feat - Thrashing Blades, Unbreakable Talons
18 Deadly Dragon Strike, Impaling Strike->Adamantine Fang
19 Banish to Beyond, Anchoring Spirit (stance)
20 Lunar Penumbra, Dizzying Venom Prana->Sting of the Cobra
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Excerpts from the Correspondence of Magister Dellisar of the Collective of Horsegrinder of the River Kingdoms.

Part One

Barenth

"My Lord Dellisar, as it pleases you, I will continue calling you 'Lord' in spite of your protests. In your first letter you welcomed my interest in your teachings, and I hope you will not be angered that I have not done as you suggested and sought wisdom in the teachings of your faith, that of the All Seeing Eye, Nethys.

As you may recall from my second letter, I have faced nothing but rejection until your welcome writings. My family wanted me to disappear due to my un-womanly stature. I would not accept the suitors they 'scrounged up' for me. I will not be wed away as a problem for some petty nobody. In spite of my size and the ridicule I received growing up, I will not be sold as some cow.

I found good work at the forge, but as I grew older I was not permitted to continue. I had to teach myself combat, because none of the knightly schools here in Brevoy would accept me. I am not to be a swordlord, they said.

Leaving home, you recall, I found my way as a sell-sword, and you were right, I was lucky to survive. As you suggested, I tried to make contact with those in my company that I left behind. Most of them dead, none of them rich. The only happy ones are those with headstones. I suppose your fourth letter suggests that even that might not be true.

Knightly is as Knightly does, you said. If that is true, then the lands have very few knights. I do not look like a knight. I am over six feet tall, and ungainly for a woman. I stoop when I swing my sword, and I still make a grimace and my eyes give away my intentions. I have a kind heart, which I hope to prove to you one day. And I uphold the code of chivalry.

I lack a banner. I lack training. I lack a liege lord. I lack good breeding and a loyal steed. I don't lack the will to do what is right in the lands I protect and to serve a lord with all my heart.

I have committed myself to the teachings of Gorum. I hope you aren't angered by this. I dislike the chaos of his methods, but in his armor he is strong, as I am in mine. I follow the teachings of battle and armor and weapons.

Lord Dellisar, I know you are no king, and no lord, but I would swear my sword to your staff. Let me serve your office as a knight errant, help protect your lands, pledge life to yours and to your king. Let me ride with you into battle, and I will protect your life with mine! Tell you king that I will prove myself worthy of his banner, and I will pass any test he desires! You know my heart, and that it is pure, I know you will vouch for me. I will ride to Daggermark, there to eagerly await your reply.

Yours with honor,

Barenth."

Armor Master 5/Sentinel 10/ Armor Master 5
Feats:
1: Weapon Focus: Greatsword, Endurance, Diehard
2: Power Attack
3: Deific Obedience: Gorum
4: Combat Expertise
5: Stalwart
6:
7: Improved Trip, Felling Smash
8:
9: Weapon Specialization: Greatsword
10:
11:Improved Stalwart
12: Greater Weapon Focus: Greatsword
13: Greater Weapon Specialization: Greatsword
14:
15: Penetrating Strike
16: Stunning Assault

Normal feats at 17 and 19 and bonus feats at 18 and 20 are unselected. As a cohort, Barenth will always be at least 2 levels behind the party. She will only be 16th level is the rest of the party is 18th.

If she joins the party as a 5th level character, she'll have DR 5/- from Stalwart stacking with Armor Master. Adamantine Full Plate would stack better, but costs 15000gp...not in the budget for a 5th level cohort.

Sentinel provides Leadership as a bonus feat. If that is unacceptable, I'd request a bonus combat feat instead.

I'm gonna produce a few different cohort candidates for Dellisar, any of whom could come in, and if one leaves or dies, then another could take their place. If you like one of these as YOUR cohort, let me know. We could arrange that.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Excerpts from the Correspondence of Magister Dellisar of the Collective of Horsegrinder of the River Kingdoms.

Part Two

Hesina

"Magister Dellisar,

In answer to your elusive and somewhat meandering question, no. I do not focus my studies as many priests of Nethys do. I am as prepared to bring the wisdom of the All Seeing Eye to the fore-front of the field of battle as I am to do so in the lecture hall.

Your further question is more interesting by far. Why, you asked me. Hopefully my answer will meander less than your question did.

Our god is one of duality. Nethys is mad and sane, destroyer and protector, magic and mundane. If the priesthood of his faith are totally focused on study and lecture, as those who cloister themselves are, they do not represent a duality. In fact, they represent specialization and in some cases irrelevance. One cannot teach the duality of man and god when one has become single minded, not truly. This has been my journey.

As to your question regarding my research into the magic of tattoos, it has unfortunately proved fruitless. I was studying what turned out to be psionic tattoos which are well beyond my means, thinking that I had found the secrets of Varisian tattoo magic. Perhaps someone from that region may be able to help you learn their secret craft? I live so far from Avistan. Though I may be coming there for a time...

I am interested in learning more about your experiences growing up in the borderlands of Geb. I've taken the liberty, perhaps crossing a line with you, and researched further based on what few details you have shared. What you describe is decidedly different than the day to day life of cosmopolitan Geb. I think you may have been a captive of criminals, political perhaps, trying to stay hidden. The Iomedaean crudaders passing through as well, they would not have come very close to the Gebian cities, this further suggests to me that you had fallen in with rebels, or political outlaws, who were un-living far from the major population centers.

Do you remember any farms nearby? If so, what the plants might have looked like? Did they wear anything, perhaps you remember a sigil or symbol on their clothing? An accent or frequent speech pattern? Tattoos or brands? Did any of them have scars? Could you recall their faces, even in undeath, well enough to sketch one or conjure a minor image?

I am sorry if these questions are hard for you, you've told me before that I ask only for those things that you wish not to give. Perhaps it is as you say, and I am descended from djinn.

My family has business in Daggermark in two weeks time, and I have chosen to travel with our men. If it is safe, please send me a message while I am there, and I will finally meet you in person. And of course, I will expect an introduction to your dashing king!

As always,
The Cube is the Red is the Sphere,

Hasina"

N Cleric 20
Domains: Protection (Defense), Magic (Arcane)
Channel Energy (Positive)
Feats:
1: Versatile Channel, Command Undead
3: Weapon Focus: Quarterstaff
5: Selective Channel
7: Quarterstaff Master
9: Weapon Specialization: Quarterstaff
11: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
13: Craft Reliquary Arms and Armor
15: Craft Staff

Feats remain unselected at 17 and 19.

Note that Quarterstaff Master provides permission to buy Weapon specialization without ranks in fighter, specifically for the quarterstaff.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Part Three

Pontia

"Arch-Magister Dellisar of the Collective,

Please forgive the long delay since my last letter, as you will soon read, these last four weeks have been very busy. And no, not at the citadel.

When I became a Signifer, as you have asked me to reveal many times, the Hellknights made me swear many oaths. I chose the Order of the Chain, seeking to punish oathbreakers, escaped slaves, and miscreant slavers. But no, none of these oaths were as you described, that is to say, none of them were matters of the soul. They were all matters of law.

For a long time, the two were the same to me. As has been said by many in hollow, empty repetition, 'what we do in life, echoes in eternity.' I think few if any really understand what this means. I wonder if you really understand the power of words?

I do not speak of the word-casting we have discussed upon occasion. Yes I have seen it. Yes, it is just as silly as it sounds.

I told you when we first started our correspondence that I am not someone to trifle with. I work with arcanists, wizards, alchemists, sorcerors, and witches, and all of them are prone to bombast and hyperbole. I hope you are not like them, but I fear that you are. We'll soon see.

You posed to me the riddle of the Starstone, and I think I finally understand. The answer is freedom. You taught me the truth of the higher planes in the lesson of Nirvana, in which even those who maintain the most free lives are in turn slaves to a bizarre caricature anthropomorphic existence with no resemblance to their original selves. In the lesson of the fall of Aroden, you taught me that even a divine being dedicated to law and good can tell a lie.

The lesson of Norgorber is the one that I think is most important. Cayden Cailean, Iomedae, Aroden, all heroes, all virtuous. The starstone was passed with flying colors and godhood was bestowed. But Norgorber is a liar, a thief, a poisoner, an assassin. No virtue at all. The star stone was, is, impartial. Godhood was bestowed by virtue of opportunity, not by opportunity of virtue.

Irori and Nethys prove the freedom of life as well, that death is not certain, that mortality can be transcended, and that godhood is a state of being that requires no outside influence; it can come from within.

You proposed the idea that slavery, an abomination in the River Kingdoms where you reside, should be abhorred amongst mortals, because as shown by the lesson of Nirvana, it is universal among the outer planes. If all petitioners are enslaved, mortals should live as free as they can.

Or rather, you suggested that the institution of slavery be abolished, you seemed to imply that an individual be free to sell themselves if desired, but they should not be sold by another. This confused me. When you write me next, could you elaborate on this point?

You accused me of being a slave that catches slaves, that my enforced fealty to the Cheliaxian system and the House of Thrune, to which I hold only the tiniest amount of bloodline, has total control of my actions, thoughts, desires, and my ultimate fate. That because I allow my belief system and moral compass to fall in line with that of the Hellknight Order, that though I have received no compensation for my soul, I have sold it already. Though I wield a chain (a flail really, but I get your point), I wear them as well.

I think you are right. I think I do wear the chains of servitude.

So I broke them.

I have struck my name from the order's register, absconded with my belongings and my last months pay, and a few stolen items, including my signifer's helm and my armor. I sold the Chelaxian heavy horse in Westcrown and, with my armor stowed in a backpack, was able to travel openly. Men searching for a rogue Signifer could only search for someone in a mask and full plate, even my closest comrades scarcely know my face.

It was then that I lost my spells, for a time. As I said, I do not pray for my magic, but for a time they did not come. I no longer worship Asmodeus, and I am sure that my Maralictor was severely punished. I abandoned my post, I deserted my army, I stole Citadel property, including myself, and I broke a contract. My head is wanted in Cheliax, my body is not.

On booked passage to Absolom, I had time to reflect. My chains will drag behind me my entire life, and when I die, they will bind me up and drown me, unless I learn to use them. Perhaps that was vague.

Your question was 'if death is always enslavement, what is the answer?' Your leading questions tire me, sometimes, but this one was fun. The answer, obviously, is magic.

Your faith says "Magic is life."

Magic can create life, and magic can restore life. For some, magic can perpetuate life or unlife.

The real chains I bear are not the flail I still wield, nor the tattoo of my order on my...body. No, the real chains I bear, and that we all bear, are those that drag behind us, slowing us a little more each year, until one day we die. The chains of time.

I know, from some of the questions you've asked me, what it is that you're planning on doing, and no, don't worry, I won't tell anyone. I do, however, want a part of it. I will help, if you'll let me.

I write to you from Daggermark. The sale of the horse and a few magic items once I reached Avistan has left me with enough gold to keep myself in a nice run down hotel without having to sell my spellcasting or my sword, for the time being. I'm trying to stay discreet, however, stealth is NOT the hallmark of my order.

I have taken the liberty of painting my mask and armor with the crest of your kingdom, and the colors of Nethys. Speak with your king, beseech him on my behalf. I will fight for the All Seeing Eye, for the Collective, and for You.

I told you I was not one to be trifled with. Words have power. Please respond with haste.

Ever Vigilant,

Hellknight Signifer Pontia"

LN Oracle 6/Hellknight Signifer 10/ Oracle 4
Mystery: Battle
Feats:
1 Warrior Priest, Reach Spell
3 Power Attack
5 Combat Expertise
7 Extra Revelation - Weapon Mastery (Flail), (Weapon Focus: Flail), (Improved Trip), (Diehard)
8 (Improved Critical: Flail)
9 Improved Disarm
11 Extra Revelation - Iron Skin, (Greater Trip)
12 (Greater Weapon Focus: Flail)
13 Spell Penetration
15 Greater Spell Penetration

Feat Selection at 17 and 19 are unselected.
Parenthetical feat selections are bonus feats due to revelations.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Part Two B, dated shortly after the founding of the kingdom, and therefore pre-dating previously posted correspondence.

"Dellisar,

Congratulations on the founding of your colony! And on becoming Magister! These are exciting times. It seems so recently that I saw you in Katapesh and we discussed the role of Pesh in Garundi society versus Avistani. I will send you some to share with your dis-tempered colleagues, perhaps it will lighten their spirits.

Speaking of spirits, I would like to remind you of the same lesson that you taught me under different circumstances. Your colleagues have frustrated you, work and weariness have clouded your mind, and perhaps your industriousness had prevented you from having time to reflect. Remember as you once told me: though our neutrality is not one of navel gazing and wall staring, reflection and meditation are still important parts of it. We must retain clarity of thought and self-awareness if we are to maintain our neutrality and sanity on the path we have chosen.

The response to your colleagues monstrosity is simple. I believe your lack of clarity in the moment is the only reason it was not ready at your lips in response, though perhaps the horror of the act and the denial of it's vileness contributed.

Upon death, not all of a soul leaves a body. The statement Agadar made is patently false: a portion of of the spirit that once inhabited a body remains permanently. This is reduced as the body decays, but is never fully eliminated. I believe, but cannot prove as elegantly, that the weapons that slayed a creature and the location in which the creature was slain also retain some of the spirit, based on my studies of ghosts and similar spirits.

The proof of this hypothesis is three-fold. If such proof is demanded, you may need to hire assistance for the time being.

The Raise Dead spell requires an intact body. The spirit fades over time, and this is demonstrated by the limit this spell faces. More powerful magic may still work, but would more accurately be said to target the spirit in the great beyond than the body.

Animate Dead requires a body, and only the body of a once living creature will do. One fashioned from mud and sticks, suggested from Agadar's statement "this is just a thing now," is insufficient for animation in this way. Animate Dead does not interact with the spirit in the great beyond, that spirit is still laid to rest (or not, as the case may be.)

Speak With Dead communes with the portion of the spirit remaining within the body of a once-living creature. It cannot bear witness to events that transpired since it's death. Therefore it is not communing with the spirit in the great beyond, nor is it communing with a spirit native to the place of rest. Only things the person knew in life can be divined in this way.

Other spells provide supporting examples, Blood Biography, Treasure Map, and so on, but these three spells were those that you used to illustrate for me the sacred role of the body in our rituals, and they came up in our discussion of the funerary rites of Osirion, where the Risen Guard are sacred and necromancy isn't considered as foul as it is in Avistan.

I would not be as concerned with dispelling falsehoods such as this if it were not critical to self awareness. Should your colleague insist on mutilating the dead and continuing on a path to evil chaos, he might be best served by an intervention. His spirit would better reinforce other armies rather than those of the demon hordes.

Nethysians are often mocked by the saying "there's nothing wrong with evil," our balance, however, lies in self awareness and a balance of extremes. Our god is not one who encourages inaction, but rather encourages right action. Do not forsake your friends for their falsehoods, you must protect their spirits while attacking their misunderstandings.

Loving regards,

Hasina of Katapesh.