Actually just Pathfinder. For discussion of rules, character builds, and anything else non-campaign related.

Moderator: adam

Rusty
Lost Soul

Pathfinder: New game announcement

Post by Rusty »

I've started principal work on a new pathfinder game which has some very different elements to it than usual. I would expect a possible opportunity to start might arise as soon as the end of summer.

An overarching theme of this game is challenge, in several senses and at several levels. Characters will be challenging to build and to play, and the game itself will be rife with adversity and survival and success will be challenging to accomplish. Some of the thematic elements will be dramatic and may represent a strong challenge to some of the players. Due to some of the conditions of the game, it will also be a challenge to run, for various reasons.

Character build is Single Class point buy with highly restricted class and race choices. Starting level is probably somewhere between 5th and 10th. Starting equipment and gold will be issued during character creation under special circumstances. Wealth level is likely to remain low throughout the game.

Game sessions will be 4 hours with an option to extend to 5 under circumstances prescribed at the outset, such as the characters in the middle of a combat, or midway through a conversation of importance. Ending the game session while activity of any significance is going on will result in cinematic conclusion or resolution of the current activity, which will be announced via forum or at the following game.

This game is for 5 or 6 players who are interested in designing dynamic characters and facing the various challenges this game presents. Interactions between player characters will form a very important part of the game, and players should be capable of developing responses to in game events and other characters actions from the emotional and philosophical perspective of their characters.

The player character party will consist of a nuclear family which includes a husband and wife, their two children, and the husband's father. Back story for this family is partially included here. Names can be changed as needed later. Classes are restricted to two or three likely choices for each family member, however with good enough reason and explanation other classes may be possible.

Lot was once part of a proud and stoic society living high in the mountains to the north. He grew up according to his family and people's cultural values, and it was his dedication to them that game him the strength he needed when fire and blade came to his people. His wife having died in childbirth, he fled the mountains with his infant son, and endured the wilderness, privation, and the threat of wild beasts. He eventually came upon a village in the remote lowlands, where he was allowed the use of a ruined barn to make his home in. A local milk maid befriended him, and took care of his son, Haalish, while he hunted, fished, and worked as he could to provide for his son. Eventually, his skills and advanced knowledge made him a respected man among the villagers, and he was able to work in the militia and as a guard. Years passed, his son grew into a man, and they purchased a farm. His son went out into the world and returned with a wife and enough money to take care of a family of their own. Again the world turned, time passed, and Haalish and his Jedda had two children of their own, Harper and Jacob.

Now, danger looms on the horizon. Harper is nearly a woman now, at 16, and Jacob is 12. Lot looks to his winter years, Haalish and Jedda are in middle age, and rumors of dangerous creatures in the forest, of open war in the southern kingdoms, and of doom in the soothsayers' visions, set Lot on edge again, for it won't be long before he flees the flame and blade again, with his precious family in tow.

Lot is Old, and is probably a Fighter, a Paladin, or a Cavalier.

Haalish is Middle Aged, and is probably a Fighter or a Ranger.

Jedda is probably Middle Aged (race dependent), and is probably a Bard, an Oracle of Ancestors, a Titan Mauler Barbarian, a Skirnir variant Magus (shieldmaiden,) or a Paladin.

Harper is of normal starting age and stats (16 year old if human). Harper is probably a Rogue, a Sorceress, a Ranger, an Oracle, or a Fighter.

Jacob is Young (as per the Young Creature template) and is probably a rogue, an oracle, a summoner, or a sorcerer.

Starting level is likely to be 8th. My initial plan and offering is for everyone to be the same level. This is because as Lot has aged his skills have waned. He is assumed to have adapted from whatever he had as a young man to his aged condition, so no retcon is necessary, build Lot as though he gained all his levels in his current state. Haalish and Jedda are the same level as everyone else because their adventures together, while intense, did not occupy the bulk of their lives. Harper has been dedicated to whatever it is she is going, and Jacob is a prodigy. If desired, Lot can be level 9, Haalish and Jedda can be level 8, and Harper and Jacob can be level 7.

Character creation should be collaborative, as many of the decisions each player makes. For example, if Jedda were to be an Abyssal blood lined Sorceress, that would have very important consequences for everyone, especially Lot.

Race is likely to be Human for Lot, Haalish, and Harper. Jedda may be a half elf, half orc, or aasimar. Jacob can be a human, an aasimar, a tiefling, or a half elf. Alternatively, everyone can be dwarves. This is a topic to discuss amongst the players and myself and come to a good arrangement.

While I will be observing the fullness of the rules to the best of my ability for this game, I will be doing so in an automated fashion (Excel) and on behalf of the players, for such tasks as managing weight of equipment. I will also be rolling dice on behalf of the players when appropriate, such as perception checks and the like, when needed or desired by me.

These things I've stated here are not set in stone, but this is the direction I've gone so far. I can go back a ways if needed.

Please post if you're at all interested, or, even if you're not interested in playing directly, please post ideas or feedback for this kind of game.
Last edited by Rusty on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

There are more tentative aspects to character creation and play, that will come later. Please inquire before randomly making a character. lol@chris.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Update to class selections: Ranger is valid for Lot, Haalish, Jedda, and Harper.

Also, Lot and Jedda's players will define a Trait to represent their heritage and upbringing. Haalish will get Lot's trait, Harper and Jacob will choose between the two, or take both.
Rusty
Lost Soul

Post by Rusty »

Cheyne proposed the following level/xp track schema. Level refers to starting, of course.

Lot: 10th Level / Slow chart
Haalish and Jedda: 8th Level / Normal Chart
Harper and Jacob: 6th level / Fast Chart
Galahad
Knight

Post by Galahad »

Cheyne's level idea sounds pretty fair to start, but looking further down the road, it's going to wind up being inverted in pretty short order. If this fits in with the story of the campaign, I'm fine with that, or if age is somehow otherwise compensated to balance. Perhaps something along the lines of extra minor feats, perks, or skill points to represent the inner strength that comes with years.
The Light Side is Calling! . . . . . . . . . . .it's lonely...